SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

So what are my chances of getting the Rust problem fixed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Administrator

last Dec my dealer David Chev in Welland repaired the four doors and the back hatch I was out of the 3 year BB they did it under Good will, so hears to Good Will Hunting at your local dealship!!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Hoping and praying that my dealer will help me out
Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Has anyone have a photo of an HHR with major rust damage that was not accident related?

Anyone seen one of the first models with the bottom of the doors with major rust damage?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:23 PM

My 09 is bubbling. I have 32,000 miles,I bought it new, I have always washed and waxed and it has never been in an accident. I am taking it in in the next few weeks because the 3yr/36 is up in July. I love my car but this problem really bothers me. I know I live in Michigan but I always clean and dry my car after every washing even the door bottoms. This is my first new car since 1980 and I was hoping to keep it for a very long time but if it is going to keep having these problems with the body I am better off with something else.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Has anyone have a photo of an HHR with major rust damage that was not accident related?

Anyone seen one of the first models with the bottom of the doors with major rust damage?
There is an 06 LT on a used car lot near me with major rust on inside of door bottoms
Still surprised its not selling at $5400
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
There is an 06 LT on a used car lot near me with major rust on inside of door bottoms
Still surprised its not selling at $5400
I would like to see if there is any rust through on any of them. As of they I have never seen anything outside and the rust inside is better or similar to what most other cars see. I often wonder if the panic is more due to the way the doors roll under and you can see it more on the HHR than other cars where this are is often under a door gasket under the door.

While rust of any kind is not good I tend to think this is just something that often goes undetected in most cars and is just easier to see in ours.

My GTP, Sonoma, SSEI all had similar issues but went well over 100,000 miles and never really caused any great harm. I just touched it up and went on. It never came close to creating a major rust issue more of a nuisance issue.

Till I see bottoms of doors rusting out on cars less than 10 years old and under 100,000 miles I will tend to think this is the same issue.

Note I have seen it in other brands and other vehicles.

The real rust issue on most GM cars are the rocker panels. Many are under ground FX or running boards and I have seen them completely rust away. The H body and W body GM cars are their worst, Even some of the J body cars had similar issues.

I would recomend watching the rockers on the HHR as this may be the greater rust issue later on.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM

I have had great luck with a product called fluid film in an aerosol can for the bottoms of GM door bottoms.
Sprays on like wd40 turns into a grease
If ya can't por 15 it I like to use the fluidfilm normally does not harm paint rubber etc.
Won't fix the rust but usually stops it check it out
Google it I buy it on ebay
Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 AM

If you do a search on door rust you will see we are beating a "dead horse".

However I feel that ANY VEHICLE 2 YEARS OLD SHOULD NOT SHOW RUST ANYWHERE. Our HHR is a 2010 and showed rust a year ago. Under 36,000 miles.

I would think that any vehicle should not show rust before 6 to 10 years with todays technology. I pay a lot I expect a lot. Example = My 2006 F150 shows no rust. We just sold a 15 year old Ford Ranger it had No Rust. I had a 10 year old Silverado and traded it because it started to show rust.

GM knew of this rust a long time ago and all they had to do is seal the seams with the proper sealer. What would it have cost $20 more a vehicle?

Well enough for now.

KK4
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by kingkat4
If you do a search on door rust you will see we are beating a "dead horse".

However I feel that ANY VEHICLE 2 YEARS OLD SHOULD NOT SHOW RUST ANYWHERE. Our HHR is a 2010 and showed rust a year ago. Under 36,000 miles.

I would think that any vehicle should not show rust before 6 to 10 years with todays technology. I pay a lot I expect a lot. Example = My 2006 F150 shows no rust. We just sold a 15 year old Ford Ranger it had No Rust. I had a 10 year old Silverado and traded it because it started to show rust.

GM knew of this rust a long time ago and all they had to do is seal the seams with the proper sealer. What would it have cost $20 more a vehicle?

Well enough for now.

KK4
I remember you, you started your own thread, "rust on pos", a while ago, and we all had this same discussion. So I guess, as you said, you really are beating a dead horse. As pointed out before, you can always feel free to go sell your HHR and buy another Ford product if Chevrolets are so terrible. There are 90% people here who are happy with their HHR. I guess you ain't one of them. But I have a Newflash for you--- this isn't a Ford forum, if you want to sit and talk about Fords, you're in the wrong place.

As hyperv6 pointed out, I believe the reason why people "have" rust, is because they can actually see the bottom inside lip of the door whereas most other vehicles you cannot. If you don't know what I mean, go out and look at your HHR and open the door. You can see the bottom lip of the door. There are few vehicles like that. I am not concerned til the day someone posts a picture here where you can see an HHR rusted through on the outside of the doors.

You stated: "I pay a lot, I expect a lot" My response: Not really- If I'm not mistaken, at the time, the HHR was the 3rd least expensive vehicle offered, after the Aveo and the Cobalt. You get what you pay for, if your expectations are so high, go buy a Mercedes Benz. If GM corrected everything little minor nitpicking thing that people complained about, the HHR would cost $25,000+. A rust issue could happen to any car, Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Kia, you name it. At my work, we have a 2010 Ford E-350 van, and it has rust forming on the front bumper already.

If you come on here and ask for solutions to the problem, as opposed to complaining, whining, ticking off other members, you are likely to get some help. As others have pointed out, there are solutions: POR-15, WD40, etc. I would suggest going one of those routes if I was you. However, sitting here complaining about how bad the HHR is will not solve your problem. Whining will not make you any friends and will only tick off other people. If you really feel so strongly about it, maybe you should write a letter to GM or call the Customer Assistance phone number. Otherwise, I guess we better call the Whambulance.... you might like it, it's a Ford:

Name:  whambulance.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  9.5 KB

They always say, "You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar." If you wouldn't make negative posts, you wouldn't get negative responses.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by goetylsd
I remember you, you started your own thread, "rust on pos", a while ago, and we all had this same discussion. So I guess, as you said, you really are beating a dead horse. As pointed out before, you can always feel free to go sell your HHR and buy another Ford product if Chevrolets are so terrible. There are 90% people here who are happy with their HHR. I guess you ain't one of them. But I have a Newflash for you--- this isn't a Ford forum, if you want to sit and talk about Fords, you're in the wrong place.

As hyperv6 pointed out, I believe the reason why people "have" rust, is because they can actually see the bottom inside lip of the door whereas most other vehicles you cannot. If you don't know what I mean, go out and look at your HHR and open the door. You can see the bottom lip of the door. There are few vehicles like that. I am not concerned til the day someone posts a picture here where you can see an HHR rusted through on the outside of the doors.

You stated: "I pay a lot, I expect a lot" My response: Not really- If I'm not mistaken, at the time, the HHR was the 3rd least expensive vehicle offered, after the Aveo and the Cobalt. You get what you pay for, if your expectations are so high, go buy a Mercedes Benz. If GM corrected everything little minor nitpicking thing that people complained about, the HHR would cost $25,000+. A rust issue could happen to any car, Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Kia, you name it. At my work, we have a 2010 Ford E-350 van, and it has rust forming on the front bumper already.

If you come on here and ask for solutions to the problem, as opposed to complaining, whining, ticking off other members, you are likely to get some help. As others have pointed out, there are solutions: POR-15, WD40, etc. I would suggest going one of those routes if I was you. However, sitting here complaining about how bad the HHR is will not solve your problem. Whining will not make you any friends and will only tick off other people. If you really feel so strongly about it, maybe you should write a letter to GM or call the Customer Assistance phone number. Otherwise, I guess we better call the Whambulance.... you might like it, it's a Ford:

Attachment 12277

They always say, "You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar." If you wouldn't make negative posts, you wouldn't get negative responses.
Well put. I can dish it out and I can take it.

I was wondering when you would come along.

I made my point and you made yours.

There are lots of great people on here just waiting to help, and I thank them.

KK4

Last edited by kingkat4; 04-06-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: So what are my chances of getting the Rust problem fixed