SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

SS Air Box Mounting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:47 PM

SS Air Box Mounting Questions

I replaced the spark plugs in my '08 SS Saturday. It's got 111k on it and I noticed some surging under boost when I drove it to Bristol a couple of weeks ago. All went well except the air box removal. My car has 2 clips, one each on both of the front mounts and none on the third mount at the right rear. Is this normal? I assumed that someone had lost one in the past, so I rounded up a third one in the garage and tried to install it, but I couldn't get it to go on. I ended up losing it down on top of the transaxle somewhere and never found it. I sprayed all 3 mounting grommets with WD40 before I attempted to remove them, but they disintegrated. I found the PN for the grommets, 25920906, but what about the clips?
Are these the same clips that's used on the Charge Air Cooler Inlet Duct Detachment Recall, 90278102? I'm going to need to order that PN anyway because I also figured out that the recall was never done. When I had my car in for the ignition switch the service manager mentioned that there was an outstanding recall and he printed out the instructions for me. When I looked at my CAC duct, I saw a torx screw and thought it was secure. Now that I've had my air box off I realize that my CAC duct is not secure.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:29 AM

I only had two clips on mine, on the front pegs.

Ira
Old 09-09-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by lazaino
I only had two clips on mine, on the front pegs.

Ira
So, I guess just 2 clips is normal. I read in another post that someone else just had 2 clips.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rocky1974
I replaced the spark plugs in my '08 SS Saturday. It's got 111k on it and I noticed some surging under boost when I drove it to Bristol a couple of weeks ago. All went well except the air box removal. My car has 2 clips, one each on both of the front mounts and none on the third mount at the right rear. Is this normal? I assumed that someone had lost one in the past, so I rounded up a third one in the garage and tried to install it, but I couldn't get it to go on. I ended up losing it down on top of the transaxle somewhere and never found it. I sprayed all 3 mounting grommets with WD40 before I attempted to remove them, but they disintegrated. I found the PN for the grommets, 25920906, but what about the clips?
Are these the same clips that's used on the Charge Air Cooler Inlet Duct Detachment Recall, 90278102? I'm going to need to order that PN anyway because I also figured out that the recall was never done. When I had my car in for the ignition switch the service manager mentioned that there was an outstanding recall and he printed out the instructions for me. When I looked at my CAC duct, I saw a torx screw and thought it was secure. Now that I've had my air box off I realize that my CAC duct is not secure.
The part # for those retaining clips on top of the grommets is 3817880. However, if the grommets are intact, and still in good shape or your buying all 3 new grommets, you don't need the clips, just leave them off.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeSS
The part # for those retaining clips on top of the grommets is 3817880. However, if the grommets are intact, and still in good shape or your buying all 3 new grommets, you don't need the clips, just leave them off.
Ok, I definitely need to replace the grommets. After 6 years and 111k, they're shot. All 3 of them split in the middle when I pried the air box off. I was able to find all 3 top halves and, put them back in place and get 2 clips back on. Thanks for the clip PN, but did find the one I lost. I went out there after dark with a LED trouble light and spotted it down on the transaxle. I was able to pick it up with one of those telescopic magnets. I'll order the 3 grommets and the stud and clip for the CAC duct and I should be ok. Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:47 PM

Thank you! The shop misplaced my clips and gromments and I'd thought I'd have to spend a bunch on after market parts. I figured I'd search the forum first even though I had no idea what to call the pieces.