SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

SS Lower ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Well the Moog.com is a reseller in Texas, no response to chat requests.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Gary, is there any way you could spec the old ball joint, maybe we can find a replacement?
What kind of specs would you be looking for? My problem began with a previous owner putting the wrong LCA in so my old ball joint is of no use, as far as measurements go, but let me know what your looking for.

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
So does that mean if we took it to a shop to replace LCAs, they would likely put the wrong part on one side?
Chances are pretty good, that if you took your SS in for LCA replacement, unless they are HHRSS enthusiasts, you'll get the wrong LCA. I'm on another FB page and so far at least 2 people suspect they have had the same issue. I think this is driven by the replacement cost, cheaper always winning out, even if its the wrong part.

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The Moog K80567 is listed as fits the FE5 and the FE3 Suspension hmmm , wrong!
I’m almost ready to order one to measure it and confirm the stud diameter

https://www.carid.com/moog/front-low...pn-k80567.html
I had someone that has a new set of FE3 LCA for sale, measure the ball joint nub, these ones where 20mm. So not sure how that guy was able to mix arms and actually end up with the right sized ball joint on his car. Perhaps hes running with the wrong ones as well and isn't aware of the size difference. If the ball joint is really easy to put in and take out of the steering hub, chances are they are the wrong ones.

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Well the Moog.com is a reseller in Texas, no response to chat requests.
He is probably on to us and trying to avoid the topic, LOL.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by BLKHHRSS
What kind of specs would you be looking for? My problem began with a previous owner putting the wrong LCA in so my old ball joint is of no use, as far as measurements go, but let me know what your looking for.
Right, forgot about that. Never mind!!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Administrator

My ball joint for my FE1 part number Moog K80567, the pin or stud is 20 mm
I have a set of LCA’s I’m rebuilding for BeachBum1, I need him to confirm his suspension
FE1 or FE3? His LCA’s have 20 mm ball joint studs also.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Now Engine Crate says these only fit the SS FE5

Cobalt FE5 Lower Control Arm Rh 2008 - 2010 25930724

Cobalt FE5 Lower Control Arm Lh 2008 - 2010 25930725

So, I think if you want better handling get these and since the rear bushing is a weak point press them out and install K200792 or the K201285 zinc coated ball bushings

I’ve again received no input or answers from Moog or any other parts manufacturer
I do caution any SS owners to realize the effort we have made to come to this conclusion, and don’t order any ball joints for their SS as it will not be a cheap repair!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:43 PM

Well thats a bonus.

A side note to my LCA replacement saga. So with the proper LCAs installed my car was in dire need of a wheel alignment as one tire was toed in enough that the tire had a slight squeal every once in a while. The shop confirmed this and got me all fixed up, the car feels really tight now. But as a additional surprise, I'd say my intermediate steering shaft rattle has been reduced by a lot, almost none existent. About the only time I get that rattle under the steering wheel now is when going over really rough bumps like railroad tracks and such. I suspect that the wrong LCAs where working all the suspension and carrying thru the steering enough to rattle everything under the car.

It was a pleasant surprise, to say the least.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 AM
Technical Moderator

Where did you end up getting them, and the correct part numbers?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Where did you end up getting them, and the correct part numbers?
In my case, my Chevrolet dealer was the only place that could get them, and said they came out of Chevrolet USA. The part numbers below are what where ordered. The big list of parts on this website is correct, and only complete LCAs are what are available if you need to replace the ball joint on a SS.
(These link to Crate Engine Depot, but the part numbers are the correct ones)
Old 09-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Thanks for confirming these numbers.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:56 PM

So this thread makes my head hurt. I got all new bushings for my control arms but do they make a ball joint for the SS yet? I don't want to buy a complete control arm just for the ball joint and I don't want to pull it all apart until I have the correct parts...

Quick Reply: SS Lower ball joint replacement