Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/)
-   -   Stg.1 fix!!!! (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/stg-1-fix-34827/)

RobSSTurbo 03-28-2011 07:59 PM

Stg.1 fix!!!!

5 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

Well i finally got around redoing the connectors on the ss. Ill have to say what a difference!!!!! The ss dose fell like its missin or when the a/c is on not shaking the car. As soon its stop rainning ill have to see if performs better. I like to thank my buddy Erik at lashway who did the soldering for me.:twothumbs:

Attachment 29496
Attachment 29497
Attachment 29498

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachment 29499

looks factory:thumb:
Attachment 29500

Thanks for looking.

Gas Man 03-28-2011 08:41 PM

Looks good. It improved the performance???

RobSSTurbo 03-28-2011 08:47 PM

dont know yet but ill let u know.

Victory Red SS 03-29-2011 06:34 AM

That's the easy one. What about the lower TMAP???

RobSSTurbo 03-29-2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Victory Red SS (Post 550061)
That's the easy one. What about the lower TMAP???

That's next as soon I get another chance.

Victory Red SS 03-29-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by RobSSTurbo (Post 550070)
That's next as soon I get another chance.

I got to see the lower one while mine was up on a lift at the dealer. Talk about a difficult location!!!
I hope your friend has small hands. :smile:

1Panel2NV 03-29-2011 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you disconnect all the connectors on that section of harness (where the lower TMAP is) you can pull it out from underneath the car. It's a lot easier to solder that way.

The insulation was melted by the dealership and then they taped the butt splices together. It didn't work out very well.
Attachment 29489

87silver 03-29-2011 09:07 PM

I would hope that the soldered connections have been hermetically sealed with a corrosion protection product. Soldering the connectors are only half the story. I'm not going to go into the science of electrical interconnection failures through defect cause analysis, but it is something that I have built a career upon. Ever wonder why the push-on static connections on your BCM rarely fail? Because they are in a controlled environment. The TMAP sensor splices are not, regardless if they are statically crimped (similar to the BCM connections) or if they are soldered.

1Panel2NV 03-29-2011 10:31 PM

The reason for soldering the connection on my car was to correct/prevent possible shorting since there was bare metal showing.

My connections are not air tight, but I don't drive my car during winter or when it's raining (rare :lol:), so I'm not worried about it. I'm sure the connectors the dealer uses would work great if they applied less heat since they are sealed.

RobSSTurbo 03-30-2011 08:27 AM

Mine were starting to show the bear connector and who ever did the kit twisted the wires together, so as soon the bear wire would touch another connector it would short out. So redoing the connection the car has ran alot smoother since when I first got it. As performance goes I get better thorrtle response since I have done the top so when I get a chance I'll do the lower hopefully before my road trip.