SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Strut Replacement Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 08:24 PM

Strut Replacement Noise

I installed a set of KYB GR-2/Excel Gas shocks on the original springs on a 2009 HHR SS. I had no front end noise. Now when I make a fairly hard turn left or right I hear the coil spring slipping and making a clunking/grinding noise. I replaced the bearings, insulators, mounts,etc. With the weight off the front end there is no noise when turning. I was wondering do the springs and struts have to be positioned in a specific way!
Old 09-29-2019, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Yes they do have a specific sweet spot .
Did you line up the tab on the top bearing plate?
Old 09-29-2019, 06:15 PM

I have removed the struts twice. Before I removed the struts I researched very carefully as always and I never found any information that mentioned lining up the tab so the first time I did not pay much attention to the placement of the tab. I recently removed the struts to replace the bearing plate because I thought that might be the problem and I did line up the tab but of course I do not know if the tab was oriented correctly. I did discover that the spring had been rubbing quite aggressively on the bearing plate side opposite of the tab but I had no noise until I replaced the shocks. What direction does the tab normally face.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

You have the 2 isolaters, #4, that should keep the spring from contacting any other strut components. Not sure how your spring could rub on the bearing plate as you stated if that isolater is good and installed. Hope it's not an "OOP's" moment where you left the isolater out during reassembly. There are little indents on the plastic that line up with indent on the strut perch. The tail end of the spring fits into that indented part. (red arrows in picture)
And, I'm sure you know that those KYB struts are not an equal to the original FE5 struts that the HHR SS came with. They're going to be a little softer in the valving than the originals.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:55 PM
Administrator

The KYB’s are FE 3 or better, but not FE5
Old 09-30-2019, 12:50 PM

I replaced the insulators and with no weight on the vehicle there is no noise when turning. I purchased the shocks from ZZP and I was aware that they were a little softer but I really can not tell the difference. I ask ZZP if they had had any similar complaints and they said no but this does not make sense to me. I can not see where anything is now hitting. It is like the springs are building up twisting pressure and suddenly releasing. I found a picture of an OEM assembled strut where I can see the tab and I am going to try to make a comparison on the vehicle. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:13 PM

Sounds like the end of the spring is biting into the insulator preventing the shock from pivoting. So the spring tries to move.

Or, maybe the nut is over torqued so the bearing can't pivot right.

Just spit wadding.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Administrator

I have ask just to verify something, did you disassemble both sides and possibly switch the springs or bearing plates from side to side?
the picture shows Cobalt , but HHR SS pictures are harder and harder to find.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Springs are the same part for both sides. Can go on either side.
But. There is a top and bottom to them. The springs must be installed "right side up". Any chance you got that side spring upside down ?
Old 09-30-2019, 06:11 PM

George,

Re: Spring Positioning.

Is there an Up & Down on my 2011 2LT rear springs?

I replaced them with New Cobalt Springs and have a "Loud Snap" on the left side when I hit a hard bump.

I also installed new Insulator/isolator top and bottom.

Plan to pull the left spring out but am not sure what I should be looking for.

Car sits nice and perfectly level side to side.

Silverfox

Quick Reply: Strut Replacement Noise