SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Turbo Impeller. Should I clean it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:19 PM

Turbo Impeller. Should I clean it?

Hello,
I was replacing the stock cold intake tube with a new K&N pipe. When i took off the stock pipe I can feel oil residue buildup around the bottom. So I looked at the turbo impeller and it has a coat of oil and is sticky too.
Ive searched and really did not finding an answer.
I know harsh chemicals could damage it and if it is not cleaned correctly could off balance it?
So Leave it or clean it?
What is the proper way?

Here is a pic.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:52 AM

You can use brake clean. Spray it on and use a small towel and move it around. The correct way is to take off the compressor housing clean it completely and the turbine wheel. Would have to do this on Cat 3208 TA engines in boats when I was diagnosing low power complaints.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
You can use brake clean. Spray it on and use a small towel and move it around. The correct way is to take off the compressor housing clean it completely and the turbine wheel. Would have to do this on Cat 3208 TA engines in boats when I was diagnosing low power complaints.
I would use a cheap 1" small Bristle /Chip brush to brush the cleaner around. You can get into all the tight places better. I use that type of brush to do the throttle body clean.
Bounty Paper towels work great to wipe clean.
When finished blow it off good with compressed air.

Silverfox
Old 04-13-2019, 02:42 PM
Administrator

I suggest, throttle body cleaner , lite spray , lite wipe.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:44 PM
Technical Moderator

Maybe figure out where the oil is coming from?
Old 04-13-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Maybe figure out where the oil is coming from?
The PCV system dumps right there. Should set up catch cans. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l...tch-can-54350/
Old 04-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Then clean it, yes, that would be a good order of investigating
Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 AM

Check out this LINK where I recently rebuilt mine. I cleaned my compressor wheel by dunking it in a small jar of gasoline overnight. The next day, I scrubbed on it with an old toothbrush and it cleaned up nice. Wear gloves and work in a ventilated area. Note though, this requires you disassemble the turbo. Honestly, I'm not sure you'll be very effective with any attempts to clean it while it is still assembled and bolted to the engine; you simply cannot reach all extremities of the compressor wheel while it's nestled in the turbo. But additionally, if you find that one part of the wheel came clean and another didn't, you have to wonder how it may then spin out-of-balance and at 100-125K RPM (these turbos spins about that fast at full boost), proper balance is vital!

By the way, the oil comes from the PCV system. I'd suggest you install an oil catch-can on the engine, since that oil in the intake tract is doing you no good; it leads to bigger problems later. Trust me; I paid a HIGH price on my engine that all started from that oil!

Last edited by m_ridzon; 04-15-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:16 PM

Hello Everyone,
I went the cheap way out and cleaned it with a cloth and brake cleaner.The type that doesn't leave a residue and was suppose to dry up instantly ....I wiped it down and only sprayed a small amount in it. But man did it smoke when I started it. So I jumped on the highway and put my foot into it to clean it out. Its fine now.

@ m_ridzon. thanks for the link. I will use it someday for sure.

yea the oil coating was after the PCV it was very light.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Sometimes it is the simple things to fix a problem.
enjoy the drive!!

Quick Reply: Turbo Impeller. Should I clean it?