SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

WASTEGATE Need to replace turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 PM

I got the intake actuator. It was $50. Appears to be a simple fix. I'm hoping that if I replace that I can pass echeck. Then I will look at the turbo. Foolmoon, you may be right about doing the upgrade. "Do it right, or go home!!" ha! Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:11 PM

Oh, the manager said that the wastegate is definitely not working. They hooked it up to something that can read what it's doing and he said i wasn't working.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM

Dealership quoted a 2 hour job to replace the cam actuator. It took us 20 minutes!!! The car is running like new. I'm not getting the P0299 code or the others either. Running great!! Hope it continues at least until After I go to echeck.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 AM

Great to hear. Glad your back on the road.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by LoreenSS08
I'm getting P0010 and P0011 which is the intake cam position actuator solenoid. Those are coming up within a couple minutes of startup. I cleared the P0299 code yesterday and it hasn't come up yet. I'm going back to the dealer today. While looking under the hood yest, I noticed the airbox was loose. Those effers didn't tighten it all the way!!! REALLY???
I can understand the anger you are experiencing with your situation with your HHR. How did the visit go yesterday?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 AM

Michelle, when I mentioned that the airbox was loose, the service manager said that the tech loosened it from underneather. There is no way to do that!! There are 3 bolts on the airbox and there is no other way to loosen them but from the top! They also quoted me 2 hours to replace the actuator. I did the job in 20 minutes in my driveway!! I also think this may have fixed the turbo, Michelle. It is working properly now. This makes me think they were going to charge me $2800 for $50 part. I won't be going back.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 AM

The waste gate is a rod to a valve. Two moving parts without much stress. The bad intake actuator, when it went bad was well not actuating the Wastegate.. For future info. There is only one moving part in the turbo..... The impeller. There are also a spring and diaphragm in the bpv, and a rod and valve in the wastegate. That's it. Unless you completely blow the turbo, there is a nice video of an ss on YouTube doing exactly this, most non vacuum problems with the turbo will be somewhere else, like you found out with the intake solenoid. Glad you got it taken care of. I would rub it in the dealers face, this way they know they can't pull the wool over your eyes next time. They will probably treat you better.

,also until CCS.. Ponies up with a business address, phone number, etc.(of which I have asked for on numerous occasions) don't send any personal information.

Last edited by foolmoon_design; 05-27-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Michelle, when I mentioned that the airbox was loose, the service manager said that the tech loosened it from underneather. There is no way to do that!! There are 3 bolts on the airbox and there is no other way to loosen them but from the top! They also quoted me 2 hours to replace the actuator. I did the job in 20 minutes in my driveway!! I also think this may have fixed the turbo, Michelle. It is working properly now. This makes me think they were going to charge me $2800 for $50 part. I won't be going back.
Thank you for taking the time to provide me with additional information on what you have gone through with your vehicle and the dealership. I completely understand your point of view in not returning to that dealership. I would like to look into this for you. I will send you a private message with the information I will need to proceed.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 AM

tell the dealer you cant afford it, they might good will it, i work at a dealer and just give them a sob story and they might give you a discount or good will it to keep you as a customer, how many miles do you have?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Unfortunately, the warranty is long over. Yes, the labor cost is no joke. I'm going to have to figure something out. Maybe do the job myself (With my husband's help). I'm still depressed!
How can the warranty be over on a 2008? Turbo should be under the 5 year powertrain warranty, should it not?

Quick Reply: WASTEGATE Need to replace turbo