SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Weird intermittant loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Weird intermittant loss of power

Occasionally, I will find that my car will only boost to 5PSI. At first I thought it might be a wiring issue, but when this happens it just will not work until I shut the car off and wait for awhile. An immediate restart will not clear the issue; the car has to be turned off for 5-10 minutes. Also, when this is happening, the BPV sounds very strange when off the 5PSI boost, almost like a fluttering sound. After the car sits maybe 5-10 minutes the turbo is back, but the car will surge badly. It will surge for the next couple times I use it, then go back to working properly for days or weeks before going through the whole thing again. It has never set a CEL during any of this. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 PM

Yep mine problem started the same way. Sounds like a GM upgrade may be giving you some problems. Do you have to crimped connectors or the new kit? If you look around you will see a lot of people with the same issue. Might be able to compare some symptoms to narrow it down.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by 5280_SS
Yep mine problem started the same way. Sounds like a GM upgrade may be giving you some problems. Do you have to crimped connectors or the new kit? If you look around you will see a lot of people with the same issue. Might be able to compare some symptoms to narrow it down.
Believe me; I've had a few other problems and read about just about all of them, but I can't recall ones quite like I'm having now. I have had the problem with reduced clearance on the lower sensor, and that would cause an intermittent "limp mode" to happen, but those would come and go as I was driving the car; I wouldn't have to shut the car off for 5 minutes to reset it. I have also had an issue with a boost leak due to shoddy installation of the stage kit which caused the car to go into limp mode, but that could be cleared immediately by turning the car off and immediately back on and it set the CEL.

The issue I'm having now isn't like either of those, and with no CEL I'm not sure where to look. This sucks. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
Believe me; I've had a few other problems and read about just about all of them, but I can't recall ones quite like I'm having now. I have had the problem with reduced clearance on the lower sensor, and that would cause an intermittent "limp mode" to happen, but those would come and go as I was driving the car; I wouldn't have to shut the car off for 5 minutes to reset it. I have also had an issue with a boost leak due to shoddy installation of the stage kit which caused the car to go into limp mode, but that could be cleared immediately by turning the car off and immediately back on and it set the CEL.

The issue I'm having now isn't like either of those, and with no CEL I'm not sure where to look. This sucks. Any help would be appreciated.
I had an intermittent boost problem with no CEL. It turned out to be a vacuum pump (?) that wouldn't hold vacuum properly.

I will check my service records when I get a chance to see exactly what they replaced and let you know.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
I had an intermittent boost problem with no CEL. It turned out to be a vacuum pump (?) that wouldn't hold vacuum properly.

I will check my service records when I get a chance to see exactly what they replaced and let you know.
Did yours loose boost for the whole drive, or would it drop and come back? Also, did it immediately return on a restart, or did you have to wait awhile like I have? Thanks for your help!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
Did yours loose boost for the whole drive, or would it drop and come back?
When it dropped, it would stay dropped until the car was turned off and restarted. It never came back while still running.

Particularly in 1st gear it would bog down more so than other gears.

Also, did it immediately return on a restart, or did you have to wait awhile like I have? Thanks for your help!
If the car was shut off, the boost would return upon restart pretty much every time. I don't know about the timing though as I am not sure if I ever turned it off and immediately turned it back on or if it was off for several minutes to hours before I fired it up again.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM

I had the same problem. My dealer spent a lot of hours diagnosing and fixing the car. They are mailing me the complete work order, parts list and electronic data.

They gave me a new Cruz LT to drive for the week they had it.....very disappointing car and wouldn't have traded my 3 year old SS for it even up!

Anyway, when I get the paperwork from the dealer I'll post it up.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tominator
I had the same problem. My dealer spent a lot of hours diagnosing and fixing the car. They are mailing me the complete work order, parts list and electronic data.

They gave me a new Cruz LT to drive for the week they had it.....very disappointing car and wouldn't have traded my 3 year old SS for it even up!

Anyway, when I get the paperwork from the dealer I'll post it up.
I would appreciate the information. I am also curious how often yours acted up. Mine only seems to act up once every few weeks and can sometimes go nearly a month before having the problem again.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious as to what Tominator didn't like about the Cruze.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Let me guess, it's not a SS.

Quick Reply: Weird intermittant loss of power