SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

When the engine light comes on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Thumbs down When the engine light comes on...

Sometimes it really means CHECK YOUR ENGINE!!

Mine came on Friday on my way home from work. Car was still running good. Boosting good, etc. Called dealer and made appt for Tuesday morning to drop off. I didn't drive it all weekend. Not for that, just didn't.

I did, drove it in.

Got a call today...

The motor is F'ed!

Mechanic says there is something not right in it. He won't get to it till next week sometime, but he is going to start at the top and tear in. He thinks something has gone seriously wrong in the bottom end. I went there after the call, we started it... knockin... WOW!!!

I don't beat it up, but I do drive it good and hard. But I also changed the oil at 1k, so I do keep up on it.

Car has just over 3k on the clock.

WTF!!!!!

Stay tuned... but I'm both upset, mad, sad, and disturbed!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Banned

ouch man sorry to hear that
Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 PM

well it's under warrenty but still.

The dealer said this will be a first. I swear if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

Yeah but hey ull get a new engine out of it
Old 09-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Sorry to here this. That sucks!

Hell, you can't have that many miles on it.

GM/Dealers claim this motor is bullet proof.

Let us know what they find wrong inside.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM

Bad news, man ....... But this early on it's definitely a manufacturing flaw. Better to catch it early and before you did any mods to the drive train.......

Old 09-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by bartSS
Yeah but hey ull get a new engine out of it
But I don't need one! If I had 25k on it... yeah I may see that as a sweet side effect, but not with only 3k on the clock.

Originally Posted by 09 Silver Bullett
Sorry to here this. That sucks!

Hell, you can't have that many miles on it.

GM/Dealers claim this motor is bullet proof.

Let us know what they find wrong inside.
That is what my dealership said, even prior to my purchase. My service guy said the HHRs in general are near flawless, and the SS's they see less than any other.

When they get it town down and find out what's wrong with it, he said they'll call me and I can come up and see it. I told him I will also be taking pics. He said that was cool with him.

So you can count on a report back.

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Bad news, man ....... But this early on it's definitely a manufacturing flaw. Better to catch it early and before you did any mods to the drive train.......
You're probably right there on manufacture defect. But honestly... WTF!!!! I can't believe this ****...

Will they rebuild the motor or get a new crate motor??? I definately don't want a refurb.

What are my piston, cam options if it comes to being a rebuild?? Are there better GM performence options out there that would also retain my warrenties?? Maybe talk the mechanic into putting something else in for more power.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 PM

Will they rebuild the motor or get a new crate motor??? I definately don't want a refurb.

.[/QUOTE]

You will more than likely get a new engine, again, depends what is wrong with yours. I doubt the have a short block or a reman one since these are still kind of new. A new one would be just the engine with no accessories, starter, alternator, A/C etc. Those would be used from the ones on your car now. Seen a new 2.0 in a crate at Rinke Chevy about 2 months ago and it was just the engine, no accessories. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Man that sucks! But thats what warranties are made for. to protect us if something goes wrong. Things happen and its good to know GM stands by their vehicles very well.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 PM

My dad had an '02 Silverado, and that had to have the engine replaced under warranty. They put a brand new engine in that. Of course your situation may be different.

Sucks...your HHR is the featured for the month, and then this happens...

Quick Reply: When the engine light comes on...