SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

WTF with my Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:26 PM

WTF with my Turbo

I've got a 2008 SS 5 speed with 64k. I bought it with 8k on it so I know all the bugs etc etc. Lately my car has been a little whackey with the turbo. 2-3 months ago I noticed a sputter intermitently on hard accel. That still happens sometimes but what has been really really strange is 2 weeks ago; for some strange reason my turbo gauge has been going up to 21 psi on hard accel. I have never been over 14-15 psi.....EVER!!!!!!! I'm pretty used to the car and I'm pretty much over the stoutness of the car like getting on the interstate and down shifting to pass etc. I mean the thrill is gone for the most part. However, 2 weeks ago when I down shifted to pass I thought HOLY $HIT!!!!!!! I didn't notice the gauge yet but then a day or two later I happened to see my gauge on hard accel and it shot to 21 psi and the car just took off. It was fantastic but didn't last long. Fast forward to yesterday and it's doing it again. There is no turbo kit or mods. It's as plain as day and I can actually feel the ummph if you will but who knows if it will last. WTF is that?!?!?!?! How can this be? I'm trying to snap a photo with my blackberry to show everyone. Some days I can't hit 10 psi and then somedays I'm apparently hitting 21 psi. Is my turbo dying?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Banned

Have you ever swapped your plugs??? Im at 32k and Im on my 3rd set as of last week
Old 11-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by chevyman1976
Some days I can't hit 10 psi and then somedays I'm apparently hitting 21 psi. Is my turbo dying?
Sure somebody didn't give you an early x-mas gift?

Sounds more like the BOV getting stuck to your benefit. That's what controls how much boost you will run. Now, why the 'puter isn't downgrading your power would be the real question in your case.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bartSS
Have you ever swapped your plugs??? Im at 32k and Im on my 3rd set as of last week
Don't think plugs have anything to do with the OP's issue. My ? is why are you on your third set at 32K miles? Sounds like you have a problem if you are replacing plugs this often. Tuned and adjusted correctly,plugs should last much longer than that.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

Wel my stock ones ran to about 24k and like 10k of that was tuned. Then I went to a step colder plugs and those ur supposed to swap like every 5k and thats right around what i did on them. Im back to the stock ones now. I beat the **** out of my car and have a very good tune on it.

The OP does have the problem of "sputtering intermitently on hard acceleration".Its in the first two lines. I had the same problem and my plugs were shot. I would check that out. Its a cheap fast fix. hes running over 60k on stock plugs. It will be a nice suprise when he pulls them.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

BartSS.Yes,I saw the part about the sputtering but the main problem he is talking about is the boost pressure. The OP might need new plugs,might not,but plugs aren't going to fix his boost issue. ECM,BOV,or something else is acting up. "Free Boost Pressure" is nice but also means that he has a problem to fix. Sorry but turbo diagnostics is not my specialty.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned

Another thing i can think of is that the inside of the BPV is torn since it is rubber n all. A lot of the cobalt guys had that problem.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Well I pounded on it a little today and it's just strange. Today I got a little of both. I hit the gas, the turbo shoots to 10 and flat lines there and suddenly WHAMO surges up to 20-21 and it takes off and the low traction flashes so I know it's putting down the power. There is something wrong for sure because I hit it a bunch of times today and it hits 10 psi and there's no umph at all (sometimes). In fact you can feel the car lag in your foot on the gas pedal and then it shoots up. Certainly not all the time does it hit 20+ but it did a bunch of times today. Most of the time its the typical 14 psi and no studder at all. I dunno. It's fun...I can tell you that much. If stage 1 puts you at 24 psi like I've heard then I think I'm going to do that. The car has a ton of snot when it shoots up like that. The down side is I'm waiting to hear that "pop" everyone talks about when they just lost their turbo.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Funny how a turbo is like a speaker... a speaker always sounds the best right before it blows! Hope you don't get a "pop" but if you want to see what to expect there is a nice video on youtube showing an intstant flamejob to an SS
Old 11-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chevyman1976
Well I pounded on it a little today and it's just strange. Today I got a little of both. I hit the gas, the turbo shoots to 10 and flat lines there and suddenly WHAMO surges up to 20-21 and it takes off and the low traction flashes so I know it's putting down the power. There is something wrong for sure because I hit it a bunch of times today and it hits 10 psi and there's no umph at all (sometimes). In fact you can feel the car lag in your foot on the gas pedal and then it shoots up. Certainly not all the time does it hit 20+ but it did a bunch of times today. Most of the time its the typical 14 psi and no studder at all. I dunno. It's fun...I can tell you that much. If stage 1 puts you at 24 psi like I've heard then I think I'm going to do that. The car has a ton of snot when it shoots up like that. The down side is I'm waiting to hear that "pop" everyone talks about when they just lost their turbo.
The stage kit psi really has nothing to do with power because the flash is preloaded not to go over a certain amount of hp/tq. There is a guy on the boards named Bill Duncan who can tell you all about it i wanna say his name is MoreHpMoreTq or the other way around. Yeah youre right you might see more psi depending on where you are above sea level and all that kind of good stuff. I hopwe your turbo is not on its way out but if you blow it then its just another reason to go bigger haha

Quick Reply: WTF with my Turbo