Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

215/55/17 Tire Size w/ 26.3 height, safe on stock HHR LS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:10 AM

215/55/17 Tire Size w/ 26.3 height, safe on stock HHR LS?

Greetings all...

I've not been here in a long time...

I've got a 2006 HHR LS, with a set of RIAX Fontana 17x7 Rims.

At the moment, I am using tires measuring at 215/50/17...

My current set of tires though are getting a bit worn and so its time to replace them and I'de like to do it before I make a trip to visit family over the coming holidays.

However, I am kinda interested in wanting to get a little more sidewall, as I felt those 215/50/17's always looked a little too thin and did not look like they had enough sidewall... made my car look like a low rider that hasn't been lowered... always looked awkward...

For reference.... I have some old pictures posted here, of my HHR with the RIAX Rims and the original 215/50/17 tires that I bought with the rims...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/featured-hhr-submissions-43/nazs-featured-hhr-submission-april-7251/

So!

Would it be safe to go with a little more sidewall instead of getting the same size? I was thinking of maybe going up to a 215/55/17... just not sure it would be safe with the wheel well...

Also, any suggestions on any additional Tires Sizes that I can safely mount on my current Rims that will give me a little more side wall then the 215/50/17's that I currently have?

Everything else on my wheels are oem stock; struts, etc...

My girlfriend is offering to buy the tires for me through her employee discount with Walmart, and I'm looking at their tires on their website, and I'm thinking about the Hankook Ventus V4 ES; the 215/55/17 size on these has a tire height of 26.3... and they're within her budget range... but I've read on some threads here, that this is perhaps cutting it close with the front struts.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

Being you are looking at 215/55/17 the narrowness of the 215 'may' just fit.

"may" being the key word. This member did add 215/55/17 on his:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=36969&page=3

I added 225/50/17 in a brand that are 26.1" tall, I only have .300" above tire to strut-plate. But of course mine are wider that 215... I'm on the stock 6.5" wide oem mags also..

Might try ONE on front, see if it clears, if so, lower it to the ground, bounce it a couple times & re-check strut to tire clearance..
Old 12-05-2012, 02:16 AM

I have 225/45/17 continentals and love them and I am lowered with
Sc/ cobalt springs.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 AM

I'm not too good with my knowledge on tires and tire sizes...

What would be an appropriate size if I wanted a thicker tire, as some are saying that 215 is a thin one? always felt that, while those 215/50/17's seemed a little too low profile, they also never had much tread to begin with.

I've been going through them like there's no tomorrow... I'm on my second front set since I bought the car in 2006; as the front tires wear down way too fast; while my rears are still relatively ok.

My fronts are nearly bald; the tread on them wears away almost within a couple years and thats just with average commute to/from work each day that's only a 12 - 15 minute commute straight down one highway.

If, I could get a thicker tire with more tread that will last longer, I don't care about the size of the side wall in that case...

Any suggestions on an appropriate size with more thickness, that would fit my rims.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nazramoth

What would be an appropriate size if I wanted a thicker tire, as some are saying that 215 is a thin one? always felt that, while those 215/50/17's seemed a little too low profile, they also never had much tread to begin with.

I've been going through them like there's no tomorrow... I'm on my second front set since I bought the car in 2006; as the front tires wear down way too fast; while my rears are still relatively ok.

My fronts are nearly bald; the tread on them wears away almost within a couple years and thats just with average commute to/from work each day that's only a 12 - 15 minute commute straight down one highway.

If, I could get a thicker tire with more tread that will last longer, I don't care about the size of the side wall in that case...

Any suggestions on an appropriate size with more thickness, that would fit my rims.
So your wanting a wider tire? Or a taller tire? Or both? Not sure what you mean by "thicker".
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Best bet with no fit issues due to tire manufactuer variences is to install a 225 x 50 x 17 ... The size you mentioned can rub on the spring perch, fenderwell lip when turning and the rear plastic wheel well liner! The size we mentioned is one size up from what your currently running and will also look correct on those wheels you have ...

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nazramoth

Rotating your tires will help even out the wear and will make them last longer.

Also wider and taller tires do not have more depth of tread that makes them last longer then others. It is in the compound of the rubber that will determine maximum avalible tread life. Other factors not controlled by the manufacturer will wear them down even quicker but the rubber compound is what will give you more or less availible tread life.

To get more tread life get tires with a 400 or higher rating or atleast higher then what you have now. 400 rating is equal to 40k miles for example.

Those Hanooks look like they have a 420 tw rating so they should last pretty long if you rotate them. If you do not rotate them then the fronts will have no chance of seeing that 42k miles.

The bigger tires will be all about looks and traction but will not effect tread wear.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
So your wanting a wider tire? Or a taller tire? Or both? Not sure what you mean by "thicker".
I'm not quite sure what I mean either... I just want a tire that looks 'right' on my car... The tires that I have now, 215/50/17 .. they look small on my rims, and they make my car look like its supposed to be a low-rider when its not.

So I want tires that properly fit my rims and look right with the car.

Originally Posted by Mrs. DLVRNIT
Best bet with no fit issues due to tire manufactuer variences is to install a 225 x 50 x 17 ... The size you mentioned can rub on the spring perch, fenderwell lip when turning and the rear plastic wheel well liner! The size we mentioned is one size up from what your currently running and will also look correct on those wheels you have ...

Best-O-Luck ,

This sounds like what I ought to do.

I wasn't sure if I could go any higher then 215 on the size with my current 17x7 Rims...

Looking at this size on the Hankook and it lists a tire height of 25.9 which is less then the other I was looking at.... but also slightly more then my 215's...

So sounds like it will work right!

I likely will not get a chance to just test with one tire, lower it to the ground and bounce it a few times... Considering we're going to be doing this through Walmart. I don't really have a choice on the matter, as I can in no way afford tires right now, and SHE gets a pretty good discount there since she works there... We may have to get the store to order the tires first though, as we're not even sure if the store will stock the tires we need... and once the installation starts, I have my doubts about whether they will let me just stand there and watch them as they mount one tire, put it on the car and test it...

So I want to make sure I have the right fit, before I even walk in and tell them what I want...

Knowing her though, she'll probably make me pick a cheaper tire!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM

The size we mentioned "WILL" fit as we had them originally just like SLEEPER and his wheels .....

Maybe down the road you might even consider some rear leveling springs to help lessen the rear gap between the tire and fender .....

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM

After reading through some random consumer review websites....

I'm also now considering the Nexen N5000's as well as the the Hankook Ventus V4's...

The Nexen's are cheaper by $30 per tire and according to what I've been reading, they seem to be getting great reviews but seem to be often over looked because they're priced cheaper... But everything I've been reading thus far states that they're excellent, handle well, ride smooth and quiet!

Best of all, seeing as they're cheaper, this will make the girlfriend happier since she's the one paying for it all!

For the tire size, I'll likely definitely do the 225x50x17...

So I appreciate all the advice everyone has given!

Quick Reply: 215/55/17 Tire Size w/ 26.3 height, safe on stock HHR LS?