Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Aftermarket wheels & Tire Pressure Monitor sytems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM

Aftermarket wheels & Tire Pressure Monitor sytems

I just bought a set of wheels with mounted tires. Am I going to have problems with the tire pressure monitor system?

Do I need to make any mechanical changes?

Do I need to reprogram the TPM system?

Can I just disable the TPM system instead? go back to using a trained ete and a guage when needed? So far I have noticed these systems give off more false alarms than real ones.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:21 AM

Not sure what all was invovled but try contacting 1Panel2NV:

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
Without the sensors, every time you start your car, it dings and the DIC throws a couple warnings at you and the low pressure light flashes while it's running.

The service department at the dealer said that the original sensors can be reused, but the valve stems need to be replaced so the sensors will sit against the wheel. They said they can get valve stems for various aftermarket wheels, they just need to measure them so the sensor will be in the right spot.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 02-27-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=44 <<<<read this.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Three options:

1. Transfer sensors to new wheels
2. Get new sensors
3. Live with an angry DIC
Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 PM

reprogram the senors,
Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 PM

How does one reprogram the sensors?
-Pat
Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 PM

1. Go out and take the valve stem caps off all the wheels.

2. Insert the key in the ignition and turn to the ON position, no need to start car.

3. On the key fob, hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons until the car goes into the learn mode, horn beeps and the left front parking light is lit.

4. Going clockwise around the car, starting with the LF, leave air out of the tire until the horn beeps again, then the RF parking light should be lit. Leave just enough air out of each tire until the horn beeps. The order should be LF - RF - RR - LR with the parking light being lit for the wheel currently being learned.

5. When finished the car will beep twice.

6. Go back now and set the tires to the correct pressure and replace the valve stem caps.

TomR
Old 03-04-2008, 03:41 PM

so, you would do this reprogram sequence after putting the sensors into the new wheels, mount tires, air them up, and mount them on the car, correct? it would seem to me as though it will actually matter where each sensor ends up after being put back on the car...or is this the purpose of the reprogram, so it can learn where each sensor is? if that's the case, this sequence would need to be done each time you rotate your tires...yes?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Yonash
so, you would do this reprogram sequence after putting the sensors into the new wheels, mount tires, air them up, and mount them on the car, correct? it would seem to me as though it will actually matter where each sensor ends up after being put back on the car...or is this the purpose of the reprogram, so it can learn where each sensor is? if that's the case, this sequence would need to be done each time you rotate your tires...yes?
That is correct, assuming the same exact sensors, any time they are moved to a different position on the car, the DIC must be reprogrammed or the sensor will show the tire pressure in the wrong position on the car.

I would assume if you could mark them and remount them in a wheel at the same position on the car you should be OK. Never had that happen before.

TomR
Old 03-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Hello, Noob here.

Just bought an '06 LS, love it so far. Except for the intermediate shaft making noise.
I'll get that fixed under my extended warranty though.

How would I find out that I have a TPMS?

TIA

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels & Tire Pressure Monitor sytems