Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Another attempt at tires too big

Old 10-26-2018, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by tiapetra
I've got 245/45R17 which are 25.7" tall.
Don't rub anywhere.
question, do you experience problems with your power steering with that wide of a tire ?
Old 10-26-2018, 07:01 AM

Whats the point in such a wide tire on an HHR? Looks?
Old 10-26-2018, 10:51 AM

aradmahogany
handling mostly.
I havent gotten too far into the handling aspects of my HHR yet (work in progress) but my mazda p5 Ive spent some time working on improving handling, one of the first things I did was change tires/rims from stock which was 195/50/16 tires on 16" rims with an offset of +50.
I put 225/45/ZR17 tires on a new set of 17" rims with an offset of +40 (10mm wider stance each side, 20mm total) and noticed a huge improvement in cornering from that alone. although, the downside was less handling in rainy conditions as the car is so light it tends to hydroplane very easily, especially with such wider tires than stock.
I settled on 205/45/17 tires so that I can have an all around improvement in all conditions.

I am hoping to achieve the same from this with the HHR, plus Im hoping it might help resolve the TAP issue that so many experience. (constant shifting between gear lock and no gear lock while in OD at certain speeds)

living in FL, rainy conditions are something I deal with on a fairly consistent basis, so I probably cant do the 245/45 on my HHR, which is why Im sticking as close to the 215 measurement as possible as its proven to be a solid width in both wet and dry conditions.
my job adds 700 miles a week to my HHR, I do a lot of driving and the TAP issue mentioned is of concern to me.
while I can get a used trans locally for about $250.0 (3 avail within 30 miles, all with less than 80k on them) Id rather not unless I absolutely have to, so if I can do something that will alleviate the need for a new trans for as long as possible, I will try, plus, the new rims will look GREAT on the HHR
Old 10-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Technical Moderator

Why would you change transmissions when the problem is in the computer (tune)?

I used to do a minimum of 1,000/week, sometimes a day. It didn't bother me, I just understood it was there. It is exactly like driving a standard trans in high gear and trying to accelerate without downshifting. In the case of the HHR 4 th gear is overdrive just like 5 th in a 5 speed.

The TCM is programmed for fuel economy.

As to driving in the rain, I don't remember driving a car that scared me more. It feels like all 4 tires are spinning at different speeds on brand new tires. New LCAs and dropping the psi 2 lb did a lot to help. I think that is a product of the weight distribution.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:33 PM

I am just thinking ahead, eventually this type of issue causes undue wear on the trans, so if I plan ahead of time, I can allocate funds for that eventuality down the road :)
I understand why its doing it after reading through that entire thread this got moved from plus Im not a stranger to vehicle issues
but I will admit this is my first Chevy since the late 80's, and that car was a walking bank roll... at least once a month it was in the shop for repairs. that said, I drove that car all over the state during the several years I owned it, putting almost 100k on it in that time as well. which would, of course, be part of the reason it was always in the shop, but it left me with a more cautious approach to the brand.
only reason I wanted the HHR panel is its unique look, I plan on keeping it, pretty much the rest of my life, just not as a primary vehicle. I have 2 other cars I can use, but both are having issues and since the HHR runs great and gets excellent mpg, I dont mind using it at all, but I also want it to last a very long time, so Id prefer to be able to spread the miles out among several vehicles if possible :)

I havent had too much trouble in the rain, maybe its the tire, I simply couldnt say, but Ive driven in some pretty heavy rain (when Michael went past us it dropped a ton of heavy rainfall in the area) and Ive only hydro'd badly once, that was standing water a good 2" deep.

back on topic, Im going to hold off on putting these rims on the car. I really want too, but Id have to pay almost double to have these tires removed to get to the TPMS to put on the new rims, so Id rather wait until the tires currently wear down to the point of needing replaced.
its either that or buy new TPMS per rim, which.... well, we all know how much that will cost ! lol
Old 10-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Technical Moderator

Driving a 2 speed auto was pretty close. Passing at hiway speed was exciting.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:38 PM

"handling mostly"
I havent gotten too far into the handling aspects of my HHR yet.

I would start with TTR Rear sway bar..... It works all the time you are driving and will Improve any tire/wheel combo you choose.

Tires and Wheels are all a Compromise depending on what you want and are willing to settle for.
Size 205 will give you more pounds per square inch on the ground and better in the heavy rain.
Size 215 looks better on the HHR.
16" Aspect ratio of less the stock 55 rides slightly harder.
16" tires run stock at 30psi cold
17" Aspect ratio of less the stock 50 rides slightly harder
17" tires run stock at 35psi cold.

Silverfox
Old 10-26-2018, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by d0sitmatr
question, do you experience problems with your power steering with that wide of a tire ?
No problems whatsoever.
I drove the car locally for about a month in S Florida and of course encountered some heavy rains and then almost 1600 miles to northern Michigan under all kinds of road conditions and weather. They even had late snow when I got there.
Car was very responsive, tracked very well and rode well. Felt like a go kart.
Drove at 75 mph most of the trip but did hit 100 or so for a few spurts.
Drove around Michigan for a week or so, then left it there for my daughter.
Not familiar with any tranny shifting or downshifting issues, it acted as it should have all the time, both in heavy city traffic down here and then in hilly traffic up north.
No TAP issues at all. I did change the tranny fluid and filter at 105k miles when I got it though.
Daughter has since put 6k miles on it with no issues.

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
Whats the point in such a wide tire on an HHR? Looks?
Not particularly fond of the wheels, they are very light. Tires don't seem that wide to me, but I'm used to larger cars with wider tires.
When I bought the car the tires and wheels were only 2 weeks old so it was a no brainer to leave them alone.
They are Goodyear Eagle Sport and I'm pretty happy with them.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
"handling mostly"
I havent gotten too far into the handling aspects of my HHR yet.

I would start with TTR Rear sway bar..... It works all the time you are driving and will Improve any tire/wheel combo you choose.

Silverfox
I plan on getting one as soon as I get some extra finances, perhaps I can convince my wife that would make a perfect Xmas present
could I ask, how much space between the side of the tire and the strut ? the pencil, is it right at the edge of the tire in your picture or is it closer to the middle. do you think a 235 would be too wide to fit ?

Originally Posted by tiapetra
No problems whatsoever.
I drove the car locally for about a month in S Florida and of course encountered some heavy rains and then almost 1600 miles to northern Michigan under all kinds of road conditions and weather. They even had late snow when I got there.
Car was very responsive, tracked very well and rode well. Felt like a go kart.
Drove at 75 mph most of the trip but did hit 100 or so for a few spurts.
Drove around Michigan for a week or so, then left it there for my daughter.
Not familiar with any tranny shifting or downshifting issues, it acted as it should have all the time, both in heavy city traffic down here and then in hilly traffic up north.
No TAP issues at all. I did change the tranny fluid and filter at 105k miles when I got it though.
Daughter has since put 6k miles on it with no issues.

Not particularly fond of the wheels, they are very light. Tires don't seem that wide to me, but I'm used to larger cars with wider tires.
When I bought the car the tires and wheels were only 2 weeks old so it was a no brainer to leave them alone.
They are Goodyear Eagle Sport and I'm pretty happy with them.
goodyear eagle tires are real good, I had an older version of them on a car I had about 7 yrs ago, the handling was top notch, even in rainy conditions, so Im betting that has something to do with how well the car responded :)
I read that the TAP issue is kind of hit n miss, but I havent any idea personally why that would be the case.
for me, it started happening one day after I pulled out into heavy traffic, had to cross a 3 lane hwy to get into a turning lane a block away, so I gunned it, then had to immediately slam the brakes, once I started going again down the road after, it started happening.
the reason Im so concerned, is that unlike most, my issue extends from 26mph up until 60mph, cruise or no cruise (actually, its worse with cruise at any speed) once I hit 61mph, it doesnt happen.
now, maybe the taller tires will help, maybe not, but as I wanted to change the rims anyways, I figured that would be a good place to start, then work my way to other things. first and foremost of those, will most likely involve a trans flush, as well as a full inspection.

I might look into a wider tire down the road, but for the moment, I already bought a set of 215's so Im kind of stuck with them for now :)

Last edited by d0sitmatr; 10-27-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:38 AM

245/40/18 Falken RT615K+ fit on the stock rims

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another attempt at tires too big