Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Center cap/Wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Center cap/Wheel question

I am thinking about keeping the stock steelies, painting them and trying to find a center cap from another car, (perferably Chevy) to cover up the center hole in the rim.

I did a search and found where someone took a hubcab from kmart and made center caps, and i've also read someone took a Cadillac Cetera center cap.. Are there any other cars that have a center cap the would fit.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:56 PM

I didn't like the fake aluminum spoke wheel hub caps on my LS panel. But when I pulled them they had those funky lug nuts. I bought some black lug nuts & that looked good. I then found a "dust cap" (for front axle) at the auto parts store. They have them for Ford, Plymouth, etc. I bought the "GM" one but found the lip is slightly too small to fit into the hole tightly. So I wrapped several thin layers of aluminum tape around the edge & pressed the cap in. I haven't tried driving with them yet to see if they fall off or not but I think they should be OK. I'll get a pic up later. They look awesome. It really 'caps' off the look haha. Now I have to figure out how to fit something for the rear wheels. I have access to a machine shop so I might make something.

Last edited by HHR_style; 05-24-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: forgot text
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 AM

Here's a pic of the dust cap I used:
Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 PM

Hi. I am the person who made the ones using a KMart hub cap. Here is what they look like. Hopefully this works. Moderates, Please adjust this if necessary. If anyone needs more info let me know. These are for my winter shoes. Thanks. John

Old 05-29-2009, 06:29 PM

Nice job, looks factory from the 60s
Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fueluser
Hi. I am the person who made the ones using a KMart hub cap. Here is what they look like. Hopefully this works. Moderates, Please adjust this if necessary. If anyone needs more info let me know. These are for my winter shoes. Thanks. John

That looks awesome!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fueluser

yes more info please.....like the looks that with a beauty ring is the look i want.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Yes I have a web link to a killer trim ring except I use these in the winter and didn't want to spend the money. I have lots to do this spring on the HHR (making magnetic sign for Johns Garage and using vinyl to cover my back window and turing it into two windows ala fake barn doors supplimented by using pinstripping to complete the look. If I can only stop buying gas staion items which is my primary collecting focus in life. :) HHRowner I sent you a reply to your email message. John
Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 PM

Great looking wheels. It looked like you were the only 'Panel' at the Cedar Point show. Way to represent!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 AM

THIS?

Quick Reply: Center cap/Wheel question