Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Custom lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 AM

If you got the anodized plan on them fading, best way to go is poweder coated.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by moonsign
Thanks for all the input guys. I ordered lug nut set off of E-bay this afternoon, and also a set of hub centric rings. Putting new wheels on Tuesday[will change out lug nuts, when we do the Pedders springs in a week or so.].
"Moon"
See now, I thought I knew everything!

What are the hub centric rings, and what do they do?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:32 PM

Hub centric rings take up the difference of the wheel center bore to the stock hub bore. Instead of the wheels just riding on the lug nuts[with some aftermarket wheels the bore is bigger than stock] with the rings installed, wheel now rides on hub center bore. Hope I made that clear ? "Moon"
Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 PM

Hub centric rings take up the difference of the wheel center bore to the stock hub bore. Instead of the wheels just riding on the lug nuts[with some aftermarket wheels the bore is bigger than stock] with the rings installed, wheel now rides on hub center bore. Hope I made that clear ? "Moon"
Well, there you go, I didn't know everything, but now I do

Is there something wrong with the wheel riding on the lug nuts only? Are these rings universal or are they specific to the wheel/car application?

The reason I ask is that I have a set of winter wheels and wondered if this is something I should be running?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:08 PM

The hub centric rings[which I don't have installed yet-just ordered yesterday] are just a safety measure to make sure I did'nt have any imbalance problems[which so far I have'nt].
If you flog your ride[as sometimes I do] it's better to have all the seating area for the wheel mounting that you can get. If it just rides on the lug nut seating, sometimes you get wheel shimmy, since the wheel center is not riding on the hub[like a stock wheel would].
Just decided to basically shim up the center[hub] to fit better. tight is good, loose sometimes not.
Side note: have'nt gotten the lug nuts yet, so ended up having to buy a chrome set to get the wheels mounted this morning[I did'nt want to wait].
so now I have a chrome set of lugs installed, and a black set comning.
If you get custom wheels make sure you have the correct lug nuts before hand. Now I have a choice of colors.
"Moon"
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 AM

The hub centric rings[which I don't have installed yet-just ordered yesterday] are just a safety measure to make sure I did'nt have any imbalance problems[which so far I have'nt].
If you flog your ride[as sometimes I do] it's better to have all the seating area for the wheel mounting that you can get. If it just rides on the lug nut seating, sometimes you get wheel shimmy, since the wheel center is not riding on the hub[like a stock wheel would].
Just decided to basically shim up the center[hub] to fit better. tight is good, loose sometimes not.
Side note: have'nt gotten the lug nuts yet, so ended up having to buy a chrome set to get the wheels mounted this morning[I did'nt want to wait].
so now I have a chrome set of lugs installed, and a black set comning.
If you get custom wheels make sure you have the correct lug nuts before hand. Now I have a choice of colors.
"Moon"
Moon, can you do me a favor and take a pic of one of the hubcentric rings on your wheel when you get your new lugs so I can see what the heck they look like?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 PM

Eric: Go to this site, http://www.justforwheels.com/ and they have pics. of the rings and drawings explaining what the rings are for. Will explain much better than I can. "Moon"
Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the tip on the Pedders springs. We will seat them in real good.
I'm just waiting for my buddy to get back from vacation[he has a shop], so we can put the springs on. Looks like early next week. Will take pics. of the rubber spring "Thingies" seated. "Moon"
Old 11-17-2011, 01:23 PM

Which lugnuts did you end up getting ? Do you have a link ?
I dont know what style to get .. acorn, standard, open or close ended , etc ??

I saw that we need 12x1.5mm .. I would like black ones.. I just bought the rims you
have here , the Giovanni 18x8 black on red .. So excited to get them :)
Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

"I saw that we need 12x1.5mm"

Actually, I think you mean these.. 12MM X 1.5 metric thread

Quick Reply: Custom lug nuts