Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Dedicated Winter Tires: Which Do You Have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 AM

I bought 15" steel rims and put Mich Ice X, 195-60-15 with smoothie hubcaps. Already have had some snow, no problems.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Docwylie
I know all that. I wanted them for the triple tread technology for winter driving. Comfortable driving is foreign to the HHR anyway so I got what I wanted to get me through the winter.
Sorry! I just assumed you did not know since you were complaining about it.

It is what it is then.

Comfortable driving in a HHR is a matter of perspective. Coming from a Truck with a sport suspesion my SS is like a Magic Carpet compared to what I was driving.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 PM

I am using a dedicated winter tire for my SS, Blizzak ws-50 215/55R17 on MSW type 11 rims. I will have them mounted November thru April. Love the stock wheels for summer and love the traction from Blizzaks in the winter. Pictures of both are in my photo gallery.

That seems like a very good deal, but I don't think the 15" wheels will fit on a SS (even without the brembos?
Anyone with an SS put on 15"s?

No 15" inch rims will not fit the SS
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BThhr
I bought 15" steel rims and put Mich Ice X, 195-60-15 with smoothie hubcaps. Already have had some snow, no problems.
BThhr

What type of HHR do you have?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 PM

I just bought Cooper Weathermaster ST2. They seem pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice I ran for 4 winters on a previous vehicle. Good value with the Coopers.

I can't share the enthusiasm with Triple Tread Assurances. I had them for a few years and hated them every moment except when it was raining. They are NOT a winter tire and you shouldn't have false confidence that they will perform in poor conditions like a winter tire will. I couldn't wait for them to wear out so I could replace them. Not worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
I just bought Cooper Weathermaster ST2. They seem pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice I ran for 4 winters on a previous vehicle. Good value with the Coopers.

I can't share the enthusiasm with Triple Tread Assurances. I had them for a few years and hated them every moment except when it was raining. They are NOT a winter tire and you shouldn't have false confidence that they will perform in poor conditions like a winter tire will. I couldn't wait for them to wear out so I could replace them. Not worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Yeah..I guess I should bought those Norwegian tires when I had the chance!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 PM

After waiting 8 hours without a guarantee that the shop could install tires and steelies for me they were able to get me in (last vehicle too!). There was some drama (they sold out of 15" rims earlier in the day) so I went for the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3's on 16" steelies (215/55/16). It started snowing earlier in the day so the drive home was slippery...for those without snowy's on!

So far so good!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:44 PM

I just had my good year tripple treads installed last week.. They saved my life on the freeway.. I had some dum dum cut over into my lane in the pouring rain!! I got over as far as I could (inches I really do mean inches from the cement wall on I-94) and slammed on the brakes to avoid her from hitting my side at 65mph... These tires were like glue.. I was just amazed. I can not believe how well they do in rain.. I was running through deep puddles on the road and they do not pull as you hit the water..

Belle Tire that installed them told me they are a performance all season tire.. But that basically they are one step down from a winter tire.. I told him I wanted a good winter all season tire.. I gave up my 4x4 jeep (gas mileage) and drive alot to and from work.. I have been on them for two weeks now.. I love them. They have a stiffer side wall.. I love that.. They handle the corner sooo much better than the cheap firstone's..

I also work at a bmw dealer and all the used cars that have been comming into the service side have been wearing the good years.. The cust say they love them. That is what got me to get them.

But as far as a true winter tire... BLIZZAK is the top tire for a BMW cust.. The only tire they put on their cars..
Old 11-21-2008, 11:23 AM

Here's my dedicated winter snow tires. It's a bit harder on the fuel bugget but I get where I'm going
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 PM

and if you don't you can pull yourself there

Quick Reply: Dedicated Winter Tires: Which Do You Have?