Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels
View Poll Results: Do you have Air, Nitrogen, Helium or Other in your tires?
AIR
82.65%
Nitrogen
10.96%
Helium
0.91%
Other
1.37%
You have AIR/Helium and you want Nitrogen
3.20%
You have AIR/Nitrogen and you want Helium
0%
You want something else in your tires.
2.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have Air, Nitrogen, Helium or Other in your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 07:21 PM

Post Do you have Air, Nitrogen, Helium or Other in your tires?

Do you have Air, Nitrogen, Helium or Other in your tires?
There is another thread that that talks about this NitroNize Your Tires??? Anyone done this yet??

I had Nitrogen put in my tires at Sam’s Club, they charge $5.00 per tire to get it done. Only time will tell if it is worth it or not. So far it seems to be stiffer than air but it might just be all in my head . Oh well…

Last edited by bigbear2k; 10-20-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:08 PM

oh i get it. That's how the new GM commercial was shot, they put HELIUM in the tires and they just hover over the road.
I wondered how they did that...
Actually I've never heard of nitrogen (or other gas) for the tires.
What'll they think of next?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:14 PM

Yea I don’t know of any others types that you can put in your tires safely. I added “other” just in case someone has.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:27 PM

This whole Nitrogen thing is pure BS and a high profit item for those selling it.

GM even came out with a myth-busting TSB on this issue.

Talk about myth, lore and BS (alive and well on this site in many threads!)...

To do what they claim, they would have to totally evacuate the void between the inside of the tire and rim, which would have the tire "sucked" tight, completely to the rim, and also clear any possible water inside. In a typical shop that is impossible! What do they do? Just let the air out of it, leaving any moisture and "plain air" in the rest of the tire. Then fill it with Nitrogen. Doh!?!

Since we have already licensed this inflation technology, we can tell you the secret formula... 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen with 1% miscellaneous gases.

Stay tuned.... We will have some real deals coming soon on boxes of this inflation technology. Your HHR will even be faster than with a CGS intake, too!!

Last edited by JoeR; 10-21-2006 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the info JoeR!

Originally Posted by JoeR
To do what they claim, they would have to totally evacuate the void between the inside of the tire and rim, which would have the tire "sucked" tight, completely to the rim, and also clear any possible water inside. In a typical shop that is impossible! What do they do? Just let the air out of it, leaving any moisture and "plain air" in the rest of the tire. Then fill it with Nitrogen. Doh!?!
You have a good point about the water inside the tire. Do they have to remove the tire and scrub it to get all the water out of the tire? As for the air being sucked out of the tire, Sam’s Club has a machine that sucks the air out of the tire then fills it with the Nitrogen. They stopped using air to fill the tires so if you get your tires fixed or replaced you get Nitrogen only.

Since we have already licensed this inflation technology, we can tell you the secret formula... 78% Oxygen, 21% Nitrogen with 1% miscellaneous gases.
JoeR how much are you going to charge for your gas mix “78% Oxygen, 21% Nitrogen with 1% miscellaneous gases”. How do you get all the air and water out of your old tires?

GM even came out with a myth-busting TSB on this issue.
I would love to see this TSB do you have a link please?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Founding Member

bigbear2K, here are some of the TBS's listed.
Offical Recall and TSB Number post

Title: Tires and or Wheels - Nitrogen Gas Usage for Filling Tires
Old 10-20-2006, 10:51 PM

Wow don't I feel smart I’ve overlooked that TSB quite a few times . Thanks for the link
Old 10-20-2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by bigbear2k
JoeR how much are you going to charge for your gas mix “78% Oxygen, 21% Nitrogen with 1% miscellaneous gases”. How do you get all the air and water out of your old tires?
We are still working on the pricing while determining availability and delivery times from our supplier. We are also continuing research to eliminate potential problems with contamination from Dihydrogen Monoxide. Will let everyone know as soon as these issues are resolved.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:28 AM

I don't know about your guys, but it would be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to have 78% Oxygen in your tires!!!!!!!

BTW I think what you mean is 21% oxygen. Somewhere around the 25-30% range and the air can actually ignite and burn. I'm totally serious.

Composition of Air

I'm pretty sure the purpose is to have a more inhert enviroment. Some of the other gases also help with the breakdown of the interior of the tire. How that's much different than those same gases on the exterior I don't know. But think about a tire dry rotting. Enviroment obviously has an effect, pressurize that enviroment to 2.5 times atmospheric pressure and it just accelerates the process.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:53 AM

Heh, thanks for pointing out my typo (corrected)!! Doh! I was rushing off the the airport and got in a hurry. Sure don't want to blow up anyone's HHR!!

But I'm really ticked off about your leaking the source of our new gas mixture. Our lawyers will be in touch.

Everyone needs to familiarize themselves with the potential dangers and problems associated with Dihydrogen Monoxide. Read about it HERE.

Quick Reply: Do you have Air, Nitrogen, Helium or Other in your tires?