Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Getting some new shoes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:53 AM

Getting some new shoes

So I'm planning my first big change: Wheels

This won't happen until March when I'm able to get my tax return in, but I've gone ahead and started planning on what all needs to happen and the process of it. This would be the first time I've truly changed anything major on a car that I've owned. I'm planning on having them shipped to a buddy's shop and he'll put them on for me for cheap.

What I just wanted to do was run these things by some of ya'll with experience on this and make sure that I'll be okay when I go through with all of this.
  • With these new wheels I'll plan on getting 215/50-17 Eagle GTs (the wheels are 17x7.5). That should work? As far as things go in the future with ride height, I'll probably just be getting leveling springs to bring the rear down a little bit.
  • Concerning the TPMS - can the sensors be relocated from the set that I'll be taking off the HHR and be used with the new set? The notes on Tire Rack say that they can be re-registered manually, so theoretically I could just get my friend to transfer those?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a complete and utter newbie when it comes to this stuff, so I'm hoping some of ya'll could school me. If there's anything I might need to know, please let me know!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Deceased

The wheel and tire size are both good choices, and the TMPS sensors can be moved over and re-calibrated easily, the procedure is outlined in your owners manual. You've done your homework.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Premium Member

Did you say this will be your first modification ,....ever ?? You should be careful hanging around here, and whatever you do , don't order a stubby antenna. That's how it starts, just a small itch.

don't look here http://stubbyantenna.com/
Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 AM

lol thats how I started, had a short antenna ready when I brought it home.
Are you set on which wheels already? Post them up, unless you want to surprise us
With 7.5" wide wheels you could go wider on the tires for more agressive looks and cornering.
For the sensors, you may need to get new rubber valve stems. They can be difficult to remove without tearing.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 PM

SS, I would be lying if I said I didn't already have a lot of stuff bookmarked and ready to be ordered - just got to get the money! The stubby was probably going to be happening soon. So that'll TECHNICALLY be my first. I've been hanging around for a couple of months, so you can bet that I've already got my laundry list of things I want to do!

And I should've just posted the link outright, but:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

I'm really looking forward to it all because there are a lot of HHRs in my area, but I have yet to see one of them yet with anything aftermarket done. :)
Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

Nice wheels, Have fun,.... sounds like my warning is too late. Post pics when you get some stuff done so we can see too.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...=post+pictures
Old 12-04-2011, 02:37 PM

Ah, I didnt see the link in your first post as I was on my cellphone.
Those are some nice looking wheels, havent seen them before. They come in bronze too, might look good on a dark colour like my hhr. Hmmm.....
Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Nice looking rims.. I agree with Prod, on a 7.5" say a 225/50/17 would be a nice upgrade.. But the 215/50/17 will work as well.. stock 17" rims are 6.5" wide.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:41 AM

stock SS wheels are 18x7.5" and i've got 245/40s on them with VERY minimal rubbing (only at full lock). 225s won't even come close to rubbing for ya, you'll be fine. I'm also a bit on the low side. if you were closer i'd offer you my stock SS springs for a modest little drop, but they're a bit heavy, i don't want to have to ship them lol. though if you're interested i can see how much shipping is, work out a deal haha
Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM

Hmm, so I shouldn't have too much of a problem if I were to find a set of Cobalt SS wheels? I came across Mowgli's HHR in his gallery and had been originally looking for something like them and couldn't figure out what they had been from. As I said, this wouldn't happen until March, so I've got plenty of time to figure it all out.

Quick Reply: Getting some new shoes