Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Need New Tire Suggestion...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 AM

Need New Tire Suggestion...

Gonna go ahead and bite the bullet on a new set of tires...should get rid of some of my rear gap since I'm planning to go with a 225/50/17...also I want something that's a little more fun to drive on the curvy backroads. Need some help deciding...narrowed down to these:

BFG g-Force Super Sport
Hankook Ventus V4
Yokohama S.drive
Continental Extremecontact

I want something that's going to last and be aggressive...something not super noisy though.

Last edited by chefhhr; 10-22-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM

The only ones I have experience with on your list is the Goodyear Eagle GTs, I had a set on my Lincoln Zephyr ('06 version of the MKZ). I loved them, they did awesome wet or dry, held the road great, no noticeable noise till after 35000 miles.

However, after 20,000 miles, driving in the snow was terrifying, it was like walking on a hardwood floor in socks.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM

I can only comment on the Eagles as those were my last tires. First you will need to know which version is available in your size. I found this out the hard way as in the 225/45 18, the no mileage warranty version was the only one available in mine. Those handled well in wet and dry. That last big snowing wer got back in 2011... I found out they did not like it at all. Not sure if the other version is the same, as they look indentical. But the place you buy them from will be able to tell you. Just ask if they have the treadwear warranty (40K I think). They were quite until the hit about the 5/32 mark, then they started to get a little noisy. They were also extremely stiff. I ditched them after 25K miles, I still had about 4/32 on them, but I got tired of them quickly in less than 2 years.

I've got about 12k miles on the current tires, and so far I'm happy with them. They still have the snow indicators on them. I think these might very well reach the 50K mark.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
I can only comment on the Eagles as those were my last tires. First you will need to know which version is available in your size. I found this out the hard way as in the 225/45 18, the no mileage warranty version was the only one available in mine. Those handled well in wet and dry. That last big snowing wer got back in 2011... I found out they did not like it at all. Not sure if the other version is the same, as they look indentical. But the place you buy them from will be able to tell you. Just ask if they have the treadwear warranty (40K I think). They were quite until the hit about the 5/32 mark, then they started to get a little noisy. They were also extremely stiff. I ditched them after 25K miles, I still had about 4/32 on them, but I got tired of them quickly in less than 2 years.

I've got about 12k miles on the current tires, and so far I'm happy with them. They still have the snow indicators on them. I think these might very well reach the 50K mark.
I like the conti's you have you have as well...they make it in my size but I wanted something maybe a little more aggressive. You've been pretty happy thus far with yours? I get almost no traction from my firestones...wet or dry. If I give it the slightest bit of gas from take off I'm spinning and they have probably 60%+ left on them.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM

I took a few off the list because they didn't have a warranty.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by chefhhr
I like the conti's you have you have as well...they make it in my size but I wanted something maybe a little more aggressive. You've been pretty happy thus far with yours?
I have no complaints with them. It's easy to spin tires on a FWD. It can be fun to just come out of the Shell station there in New Hope..... Even worse when the car wash down by Ace was open.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
I have no complaints with them. It's easy to spin tires on a FWD. It can be fun to just come out of the Shell station there in New Hope..... Even worse when the car wash down by Ace was open.
This is the first FWD I've owned in over 15 years so I guess I'm not used to the wheel spin. I take those back roads over by Seven Hills to work everyday and the Firestone's just aren't fun.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:33 PM

My first front wheel drive also. Just ordered a set of Conti Extreme Contract DWS for the SS, be in sometime around the end of November. Hope they are everything all the reviews say they are. I researched week after week after week for them and finally deceided to go with them.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

I tried the conti DWS, great traction but they will hydroplane in deep water. I like the gmax03 they handle everything, and ride 50% quieter and 50% smoother. I'm planning on the Michelin pilot sports for the panel, because they will fit my stock SS wheels in the 235x45 size. )
08 banshee just put them on the SS and he loves them.

The Goodyear F-1as was a great tire but had belts separate on me at 17,000 miles.
Attached Images    
Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
I tried the conti DWS, great traction but they will hydroplane in deep water.
How deep are you talking about? I've been through several inches at highway speeds and never had an issue? Concrete roads in Atlanta can be so much fun..... I went with these because they have the highest treadwear in the price range, 520.

But hydroplaning, I don't see that at all. But I don't go flying through ones so deep I know both sides will hit deep water. Any tire will hydroplan on that.

Quick Reply: Need New Tire Suggestion...