Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Rotating tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 PM

Rotating tires?

I purchased 4 new tires, Yokohama YK740 GTX, on 8/8/16. I had them rotated once, after a little over 5,000 miles. Then I forgot about it.

I had a tire go down the other day, right front. It had been almost 18,000 miles since the rotation.

Now here's the interesting part. The 3 good tires had 7/32"(RR) and 8/32"(LF and LR) tread left. These tires started new at about 12/32". The bad tire was down to 3/32".

Purchased and rotated at Discount Tire/America's Tire. Because I hadn't rotated properly, they wouldn't use the manufacturer's warranty. If I hadn't paid the extra $24/ tire for their "certificate", I would have been out of luck. I am getting a new tire out of it because there is a pinhole in the sidewall(not repairable).

I'm somewhat satisfied with the customer service, but am very disappointed that this 60,000 mile tire wore out in way less than half the warranty miles.

The tire itself wasn't unevenly worn, as from being out of alignment. The salesman tried to say that the right front on a front wheel drive car just wears out faster. I don't spin the tires(I know, I'm not doin' it right then!), and even if I did, well, LSD!

Input?
Old 03-25-2018, 09:52 PM
Banned

He's a salesman. Can't expect too much.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:36 PM
Technical Moderator

Worn out straight across? Or edges, or one edge, or center?

The salesman is pulling that old "driven wheel" stuff. It would depend on your "get away" habits.

I have gone a tire set lifetime without rotating before with no bad results.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:08 AM

You dont necessarily NEED to rotate tires. Did you use a tire guage yourself or are those numbers coming from the shop
Old 03-26-2018, 08:37 AM
Administrator

My tires rotate every mile I drive! R R !
That guy is selling you sunshine, I rotate my tires , every 5,000 miles, I get about 75,000 to 80,000 miles out of a set of tires
BFG Advantage T/A’s
Any alignment problems
Old 03-26-2018, 06:23 PM

Sales talk. It isn't possible to wear 1 out that fast without surrounding wear elsewhere.
My Discount Tire guy is on board with that. BTDT (been there done that).
Old 03-26-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Worn out straight across? Or edges, or one edge, or center?

The salesman is pulling that old "driven wheel" stuff. It would depend on your "get away" habits.

I have gone a tire set lifetime without rotating before with no bad results.
Originally Posted by aradmahogany
You dont necessarily NEED to rotate tires. Did you use a tire guage yourself or are those numbers coming from the shop
Yes, worn out straight across... but then aradmahogany has a good point, too. No, I didn't measure it myself. I watched him do it, but I cannot say if what he wrote down is accurate. My vision, even with glasses, is not good enough to see what the gauge was reading.

I was extremely surprised that it was so worn, it may not have been. Maybe this is how they get out of warranty responsibility. I had already told them which tire was bad. I should have asked them to show me again, but I am getting a new tire.

Next time I have a tire issue like this, I will question it... If I remember lol.

Thanks, you've all made some good points! And I haven't ever had the alignment checked, but I've never had odd tire wear either.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:37 PM

I have found Pep Boys to be the most honest and reliable guys out there.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:31 AM

I've used Discount many times and never had a warranty issue with them. But the warranty usually states tires must be rotated regularly.

Since one tire was worn more than the rest, it could have been low on air for a while. Not sure how often you checked that.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:29 AM

With chain stores and companies you have to find the reliable mechanic not necessarily the store, as they employ a wide range of people from people who have worked on cars for 30 years to the young kid fresh out of aschool who hasnt changed more than the oil in his Honda civic. Alot of mechanics lose their passion too since they dont get paid well for the hard labor they put in.

Quick Reply: Rotating tires?