Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Rotating tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Technical Moderator

I experimented with not rotating regularly. The outcome was I only had to replace 2 tires at a time, the rear tires lasted 5-10,000 longer than the fronts. At the time I was driving at least 5,000 miles a month so not that much difference.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Like Don I often didn't bother rotating tires as long as the wear pattern was constant.

The problem I did encounter was not related to the rotating, but not being able to get the right exact pair of tires when I needed them. No thanks to Goodyear and the 17" tires on my Avenger. Running a miss-matched pair of tires was interesting especially in the rain here.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:03 PM

Front tires will wear faster than the back on a front wheel drive car do to steering under power and excessive acceleration (burn outs).
Your pulling those tires thru a turn. If the back was pushing, doing the work, the fronts would last longer unless there was a front alignment problem.
Also newer cars over steer. It's a safety factor built in to the geometry of the steering. When going into a turn to fast the front plows forcing the car to steer to the outside of the turn forcing you to let off the gas.

Last edited by Cat Man HHR; 03-29-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Front tires will wear faster than the back on a front wheel drive car do to steering under power and excessive acceleration (burn outs).
Your pulling those tires thru a turn. If the back was pushing, doing the work, the fronts would last longer unless there was a front alignment problem.
Also newer cars over steer. It's a safety factor built in to the geometry of the steering. When going into a turn to fast the front plows forcing the car to steer to the outside of the turn forcing you to let off the gas.
I agree with all that. Except that plowing is actually understeering. Oversteer is when the rear lets loose, causing the car to turn too fast. The TTR rear sway bar enables my car to be more neutral, possibly even a little oversteer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understeer_and_oversteer

But I would expect both fronts to wear similarly to one another, even more true because of the limited slip differential. They measured both left side at 8/32" and RF at 3/32".

It's probably a combination of everything that's been mentioned here,
inaccurate gauge/inexperienced or lazy employee
a worn part on the right side
driving habits
and I'll add, possibly a defective or softer tire.

Great discussion, everyone!
Old 03-30-2018, 08:04 AM

Just read my own stuff. Yeah I'm backwards on the under/over steer thing.
By the way what is my name ?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Worn LCA bushings would be suspected
I would agree with this guy and check these, but have no other ideas unless you have a really bad wheel bearing (noise should tell you). I still think you got a bad tire guy.

One tire is not going wear that much faster...
Old 08-24-2018, 05:12 AM

I'm goin to step out here and say the tire maker !! yoko's. I bought a 2018 Subaru forester with yoko's on them and I have gone though 2 tires already,,
maybe making something out of nothing??? just a weird thing ?? could care less, I hate the other tire companies !! BUY MICHELIN and help keep my job !!!
LOL < we do own BF Goodrich and Uniroyal>
Old 08-26-2018, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

I'd throw out there to watch the date codes, maybe you got 3 new tires & 1 old one..

I always watch to get the newest tires I can. & I run Directionals, & I have to admit I do not rotate.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:30 AM

I made a fatal mistake of replacing my steering rack without IMMEDIATELY getting an alignment, I put it off for 4 month and knew something was up because I could here the tires drag pulling into my garage. Well 4 month and about 6,000 miles the outside of the drivers side tire was nearly bald and the right side was close. Alignment was nearly 1/4 inch off :O after that, the wear slowed down drastically, and I am biding my time before I have to buy new tires again. GRRRRRRR. Stupid is as stupid does!