Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Saturn Sky Rims and Tires... almost

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:43 PM

Question

Not sure how much resurrecting old threads is frowned upon here, but this seemed a good place to ask my question rather than starting from scratch. I've got a line on some mint 18" Sky rims just like these. Sooner rather than later, my "new" '06 HHR (2LT, bone stock) is going to need new tires and I was thinking about getting the Sky rims and holding onto them until it's time to replace the tires currently on the HHR.

From what I've read, the factory 17" alloys are 17x6.5 (5x110 bolt circle) with a 42mm offset and 215/50-17 tires, while the Sky rims are 18x8 with a 55mm offset. If I ran a 225/45-18 tire on the Sky rims, should this be a bolt-on application? The calculator I used says that I'll lose about 0.7" of clearance inboard with this combination. I don't want to have to cut anything up, and at the same time I don't want to use spacers and/or longer lugs.

Thanks a ton,
Brent
Old 07-11-2012, 01:58 PM

For the Solstice or Sky rims you need to run about a 3/8" spacer since they were designed for RWD applications.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by brossow
Not sure how much resurrecting old threads is frowned upon here, but this seemed a good place to ask my question rather than starting from scratch. I've got a line on some mint 18" Sky rims just like these. Sooner rather than later, my "new" '06 HHR (2LT, bone stock) is going to need new tires and I was thinking about getting the Sky rims and holding onto them until it's time to replace the tires currently on the HHR.

From what I've read, the factory 17" alloys are 17x6.5 (5x110 bolt circle) with a 42mm offset and 215/50-17 tires, while the Sky rims are 18x8 with a 55mm offset. If I ran a 225/45-18 tire on the Sky rims, should this be a bolt-on application? The calculator I used says that I'll lose about 0.7" of clearance inboard with this combination. I don't want to have to cut anything up, and at the same time I don't want to use spacers and/or longer lugs.

Thanks a ton,
Brent
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...?t=4379&page=6

Scroll down toward the bottom and see Mike321's setup. He is running these wheels and pretty sure does not have spacers. You can see how far the wheels are inset...looks kinda wonky if you ask me but to each his own.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
For the Solstice or Sky rims you need to run about a 3/8" spacer since they were designed for RWD applications.
That's what I was wondering. The handful of threads I could find here (such as this one) and elsewhere that discussed these rims didn't make it very clear (to me) what, if anything, would be needed to make them work. Opinions were all over the place, and none of them definitive!

I'm assuming a 3/8" spacer is going to require longer wheel studs. One post in the thread I linked to above suggests that spacers are only needed up front. Sound accurate? I really don't want to let myself get into serious modifications of this car (I've fallen into that trap with almost every vehicle I've owned, but I'm determined that this HHR isn't going to go that way -- it's a slippery slope, I know) but changing out the studs on just the front hubs isn't that drastic or difficult.

Originally Posted by chefhhr
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...?t=4379&page=6

Scroll down toward the bottom and see Mike321's setup. He is running these wheels and pretty sure does not have spacers. You can see how far the wheels are inset...looks kinda wonky if you ask me but to each his own.
Thanks for that! I agree that it doesn't look quite right, especially with the minimal fender gap. I suspect my non-lowered HHR would look a bit better. Knowing they can bolt up without spacers, even as a temporary measure, might be enough to get me to pull the trigger on these rims. :)

Thanks again,
Brent
Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Anything over a 5mm wheel spacer I believe will need longer studs. If you check over on the cobalt forum (www.cobaltss.net) there are several threads that discuss spacers and the max you can go on our platform vehicles. I'm almost positive 5mm is the largest on stock studs.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by brossow
That's what I was wondering. The handful of threads I could find here (such as this one) and elsewhere that discussed these rims didn't make it very clear (to me) what, if anything, would be needed to make them work. Opinions were all over the place, and none of them definitive!

I'm assuming a 3/8" spacer is going to require longer wheel studs. One post in the thread I linked to above suggests that spacers are only needed up front. Sound accurate? I really don't want to let myself get into serious modifications of this car (I've fallen into that trap with almost every vehicle I've owned, but I'm determined that this HHR isn't going to go that way -- it's a slippery slope, I know) but changing out the studs on just the front hubs isn't that drastic or difficult.

Thanks again,
Brent
Some stated they had clearance issues with the offset and had to run spacers. Some changed the studs, some didn't. I looked into these years ago and the information went so many directions, I just looked for the Cobalt SS wheels since I know it was a direct swap.....
Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by chefhhr
Anything over a 5mm wheel spacer I believe will need longer studs. If you check over on the cobalt forum (www.cobaltss.net) there are several threads that discuss spacers and the max you can go on our platform vehicles. I'm almost positive 5mm is the largest on stock studs.
Maybe it was a 5mm spacer..... Been a few years....
Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 PM

Holy crap! If anyone needs longer studs, head to JC Whitney before they discover and correct what almost certainly has to be a pricing mistake. They've got the longer wheel studs listed for $2.30 for a 10-pack. I couldn't believe this so I opened a chat with customer service. Transcript follows:

15:56:36 : System: Gary has joined this session!

15:56:36 : System: Connected with Gary. Your Reference Number for this chat is 3713943.

15:56:36 : Gary: Hi, my name is Gary. Thank you for contacting us. How may I assist you today?

15:57:36 : Brent: Hi, Gary. I'm looking at this part: Autograde Wheel Stud Item Number: 1JA RB610486. It specifically says it's a "Set of 10" for $2.30. That seems too good to be true. Can you verify that this is indeed a set of 10?

15:58:16 : Gary: I'd be happy to help you with that.

15:58:21 : Gary: May I please have the Year, Make, and Model of your vehicle?

15:58:36 : Brent: it's a custom application. make/model won't help.

15:59:16 : Gary: Okay. One moment please...

16:00:51 : Gary: Yes. This part is sold as a set of 10

16:01:11 : Brent: wow. those studs are $2-4 each everywhere else.

16:01:36 : Brent: looks like i'll be ordering a couple extra sets. thanks for the info.

16:01:56 : Gary: Would you be interested in purchasing that today?

16:02:18 : Brent: yep, but i need to look around to find some other stuff as well.

16:02:31 : Gary: Okay

16:02:31 : Gary: What other products can I help you find?

16:02:41 : Brent: not sure. that was all the help i needed. thanks.

16:02:51 : Gary: Thanks for chatting! Don't hesitate to chat with us again if you need anything else. Please take a moment to rate the service you received during your chat. Just simply end the session by clicking the EXIT button to be redirected to our survey page.

16:03:57 : System: The session has ended!
I'm buying at least one extra set. The shipping is more than the cost of two sets, so I'm throwing in a set of Ventvisor shades to get free shipping (same as a $12 discount, so why not?). And yes, I saved a PDF of the chat transcript and took a screenshot of my cart in case I don't get what was ordered.

Brent

Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

I did change the studs and they were 1.25 a piece at pep boys. I used 15mm spacers, and 255x40 tires, I love them.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
I did change the studs and they were 1.25 a piece at pep boys. I used 15mm spacers, and 255x40 tires, I love them.
Thanks for the info! Did you change the studs and use spacers all the way around, or only in the front, or ... ?

Quick Reply: Saturn Sky Rims and Tires... almost