Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Snow Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:16 PM

Snow Tires?

I have a 08 LT2, I hear and see alot of posts with question or wanting to buy Winter Tire's. Just wondering if i should try and find some with the little money i got.Are the Stock Tire's that bad in the Snow?

I live in Chicago so i will have to deal with Snow, Hopefully not as much as Last year but you get the point.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Actually, my new 2LT ran just great last year on the Firestones it came with. If I was the only one using the car, and the tires were new, I'd probably continue with regular tires. As much as everyone likes rear-wheel drive performance, give me front-wheel any day in the Northern climate to get where I want to go. I hate the trend towards rear-wheel. It's going to end up AWD or RW before you know it.

I always laugh around here - we have a lot of hills - you can tell the rear wheel drive cars - they're slipping sideways trying to make it up the hills. Not enough weight in the rear end.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 AM

You can get by with the OE tires but the Firestones ar far from the best.

WIth the HHR you don't really need a snow tire but they do help.

As for RWD I was sideways becasue I wanted to be. Nothing more fun then dirt tracing it around a corner. Limited slip and a 190 pound Space Shuttle tire in the bed got me anywhere I wanted to go.

Yes I so have a Suttle tire and it is a long story.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 AM

Sooooo. Are we going to hear about it? Tell us it was a snow tire and it will be acceptable in this thread! And yes, I love rear wheel drive for donuts as well.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
I have a 08 LT2, I hear and see alot of posts with question or wanting to buy Winter Tire's. Just wondering if i should try and find some with the little money i got.Are the Stock Tire's that bad in the Snow?

I live in Chicago so i will have to deal with Snow, Hopefully not as much as Last year but you get the point.
I had stocks on mine. Anything over 4", especially if it started getting icy was bad. Light snow was fine. If I hadn't gotten rid of my HHR and gone back to 4X4, I would be putting snows on, especially after last winter.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
I had stocks on mine. Anything over 4", especially if it started getting icy was bad. Light snow was fine. If I hadn't gotten rid of my HHR and gone back to 4X4, I would be putting snows on, especially after last winter.
Ya, I had a 4x4 Truck and now the HHR due to Fuel and payments. Loved that truck thing went through anything.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by AJochum
Sooooo. Are we going to hear about it? Tell us it was a snow tire and it will be acceptable in this thread! And yes, I love rear wheel drive for donuts as well.

I worked for a display company that did work for several of the tire companies.

We got in nearly 40 main gear Shuttle tires to build displays for in airports.

Once they were done we have a few left that were going to get tossed out.

I asked for one and they gave it to me. It fit under the bed cover well and I used it when the snow was bad. If anything it made my truck ride much better.

I have in in the Garage now as a conversation piece.

It looks like a Air Liner tire but says right on the side wall good for 8 landings. Thought they never used them twice.

It is a older BFG tires as the new ones are Michelin since they bought out BFG.

So since I used it in the snow it was a snow tire. See our space program is workng to improve everyday life in ways many don't count on.

Now I can't tell you about the guy who in south Akron had what he claimed as F16 tires on the back of a Pacer. They were aircraft tires form Goodyear and something like 16 or 18 ply. HE claimed he would never have to buy tires again.

This is why yet today we are affraid of people in LA [Lower Akron] LOL .
Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 AM

[QUOTE=hyperv6;317397]
So since I used it in the snow it was a snow tire. See our space program is workng to improve everyday life in ways many don't count on.

160lb Shuttle snow tire = $43,000
4 bags of sand, (200lb) = $16
Yep, sounds like a NASA program

To the original poster, I have both the Firestones on a LT and the Michelins on a SS, and both preformed well. Let's face it, it is only a front wheel drive car and not a 4X4, but still better than a RWD in the snow.

If you really want to do well in the snow get the snow tires, but not a necessity
Old 10-06-2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
Ya, I had a 4x4 Truck and now the HHR due to Fuel and payments. Loved that truck thing went through anything.
I too had the HHR to end fuel payments. If it was sunny here every day, I would have kept it. Unfortunatly it snows here....sometimes not much, sometimes....let's just say the Blizzard of '78 brings back some serious memories.

http://wermenh.com/blizz78.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northea...izzard_of_1978

My truck was buried for days. I walked to work through drifts up to 4 1/2 feet. The fire station was only a 1/4 mile from my house but it took almost an hour to get there. And then one day the sun came out........It took the Massachusetts National Guard and Ted's Towing 3 1/2 days to clear up Route 9 through my town.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
I too had the HHR to end fuel payments. If it was sunny here every day, I would have kept it. Unfortunatly it snows here....sometimes not much, sometimes....let's just say the Blizzard of '78 brings back some serious memories.

http://wermenh.com/blizz78.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northea...izzard_of_1978

My truck was buried for days. I walked to work through drifts up to 4 1/2 feet. The fire station was only a 1/4 mile from my house but it took almost an hour to get there. And then one day the sun came out........It took the Massachusetts National Guard and Ted's Towing 3 1/2 days to clear up Route 9 through my town.

Was that walk up hill both ways .

We had it similar here in 78. We had a semi that got buried and lost for several days. They found it while digging through the drift. THat was a heck of a storm.

We only got our on snowmobiles for a few days.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires?