Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 AM

I have no problem driving in the snow. In fact I love it but I just hate the people who can't drive on dry roads let alone on snow covered.

I also hate a dirty car as they just never run right till the dirt is off LOL!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
We will have to count on you for some nice warm beach shots around January when we can't stand the cold anymore....

Home office in Holland, what Company?
Let me know when you're ready for the mental vacation......

My work:

Last edited by Ratracer; 03-05-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I have no problem driving in the snow. In fact I love it but I just hate the people who can't drive on dry roads let alone on snow covered.
i fell exactly the same way. I don't mind driving on snow at all, but it's all the other people out there that make me not want to do it it. Like when i was in that blizzard and most cars were doing 30 on I-94, but yet there were jerks trying to pass you doing 60 and semis doing it too. Then an hour or 2 later down the road i saw most of them in the ditch. Suvs already getting lost in the ditch under the snowfall and some semis off too.

Great way to keep your deadline...try to speed through it and end up getting delayed hours or even days with repairs to your vehicle.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by twistrman
i fell exactly the same way. I don't mind driving on snow at all, but it's all the other people out there that make me not want to do it it. Like when i was in that blizzard and most cars were doing 30 on I-94, but yet there were jerks trying to pass you doing 60 and semis doing it too. Then an hour or 2 later down the road i saw most of them in the ditch. Suvs already getting lost in the ditch under the snowfall and some semis off too.

Great way to keep your deadline...try to speed through it and end up getting delayed hours or even days with repairs to your vehicle.
I don't care about the fast cars at all.

What I hate are the people with the death grip and just do not have the basic snow driving skills.

I also hate the people who are sitting and just spinning their tires as they are nearly bald and will not take off let alone stop.

The worst I had on Saturday. I was in a good snow and came to a hill that goes down a steep grade that only goes up a steeper grade. The road was only wet and they get into creep mode as they hit the bottom of the hill vs keeping a steady speed that will help them make the grade out.

I was in Amish country and some were driving slower than the Amish buggys.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 PM

It's not the weather that makes driving a problem, it's the other cars!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
It's not the weather that makes driving a problem, it's the other cars!
It's not the other cars, it's their drivers

I have to agree with this, I have driven in the snow my entire life in a lot less capable vehicles than the HHR and I sure have seen a decline in peoples ability to drive in the white stuff. If it's just me on the road I love it, although FWD takes some getting used to, but when the roads are full of people, I dread it
Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 PM

I hate sitting in traffic and watching the guy behind me on a cell phone sliding at me.

I usually hit the back roads that are unplowed as few people go there and those who do know what they are doing.

Driving a FWD with stability control, traction control and anti lock brakes is a no brainer. It has given people skill they really don't have.

The smarter out cars get the dumber the drivers become.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 PM

every comment in these posts is true, just makes me remember so many close calls.

Here in Indiana, i live at the top of a large hill, so everyday to work, it's pretty much downhill and everyday home it's up hill (kills my mileage...). When it gets icy, it gets problematic.

Last year I was going home and somehow hit a large amount of traffic (it's only 2 miles to home, and i get out later then most people) so we're going up this part of the hill, a steeper part. and then i noticed the cars around me were struggling, I was in my Jimmy, just 2wd, and then i see the car next to me on the right, tires spinning and he starts going backwards down the hill. The the guy in front of me stops moving forwards and starts sliding back. Crap. So i start looking around, luckily the guy to my left is having the same problem but is sliding faster then the guy in front of me, so i wait a few seconds and cut between the 2 and continue my way up the hill... It was a close call.

I don't think snow tires should be mandatory, but a snow driving safety class should be... I know it would be a ton of work fo the state, but they should set up a snow course and have people take a few driving lessons with an instructor. It wouldn't fix the problem, but at least it would help. Or at least do this for the young ones just starting out. Somehow i don't think 85 year old granny who rides her brakes on a sunny summer day is going to change her ways much, hopefully she stays inside.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 PM

I agree. I wish they would make Snow driving part of the test and you get a special plate.

I learnd much growing up driving RWD no electronic controls and just cutting lose in a empty parking lot.

The drifters today had nothing on me and my buddies back them!!! LoL!

Even my last truck was 2WD and had limited slip. I steered more with the gas then the steering wheel.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I agree. I wish they would make Snow driving part of the test and you get a special plate.

I learned much growing up driving RWD no electronic controls and just cutting lose in a empty parking lot.

The drifters today had nothing on me and my buddies back them!!! LoL!

Even my last truck was 2WD and had limited slip. I steered more with the gas then the steering wheel.
Lets face it, A lot of us learned how to drive in the snow by doing doughnuts and drifting in back snow covered parking lots. I used to do it all the time, especially when I got a new vehicle. Yes it was fun, but it also taught you how a car behaves when the tires break loose, and how to "steer" with the gas pedal, etc. Today if you get caught doing that they police have no sense of humor and throw the book at you.

It is too bad that there aren't places that it is legal to do this, and I would agree that it should be a part of every drivers training, either when they get there license, or when they move from a snow free state.

All the new electronic controls on cars do help, but only to a point. At some point the driver must control their car.

Quick Reply: Snow tires