Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Snow tires or All Season?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Snow tires or All Season?

Hi everyone,

I searched the post on this topic but I haven't been able to find anything more recent. So I apologize if I am not starting this post in the right section. This is my first post.
I have a 2010 HHR LT that I use for work during the day. I do service work so I average about a 100 miles a day with city and highway driving. I probably have 200 extra pounds of parts in the back of the truck. Last year I drove my car in the snow for the first time and I have to say it was terrible with the Firestones. The tires would spin just in slush and on 1 inch of snow it was a task going thru that! Needless to say, I have read the threads on snows on the front, all snows, ect. So I am heading towards buying all new tires which would be all season. I have 40,000 on the Firestones and if I didn't have to contend with the snow I would wait till spring before changing them. So I have done some research and I am looking at some Hankook Ventus V2 concept tires. I guess what I am looking for is any up to date experiences with All Season tires and whether I should just put on 2 snows on the front; I have a pair of extra rims. I am not interested in taking corners fast, this is my work vehicle. I just don't want to get stuck.

Thanks Eddie
Old 11-10-2013, 04:06 PM

When I lived in upstate NY and was driving my 99 Buick, I was running all season tires. Now in Florida, I have good rain tires, but I was in upstate NY last December and encountered snow with the HHR and it was awful getting around in snow. It couldn't handle the snow at all. If I was still in that climate with my HHR, I'd have some studded snow tires on the HHR.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:37 PM

I run studded snows on all four. They work very well for me. My 08 has traction control which also seems to help.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Eddie,

To me there are 2 choices.

1. Bridgestone Blizzacks for maximum snow service.

2. Michelin Ice 3 in 205/60R/16 if you have 16" wheels. They beat just all seasons and are a directional tread design.
You don't say if you have a 1LT with 16" or a 2LT with 17"

I have used the Michelin Ice 3 tires and they work quite well. They also run very well on dry or wet pavement. They are quiet running on non snow sufaces in comparrison with most other more aggresive tread designs.
In the 205 size they are Xtra Load capacity so you could adjust your rear air pressure safely to accomodate a heavier load if needed.
The slightly narrower tread of the 205 is an advantage in deeper snow.

Personally I avoid studded tires as the studs wear down and they are noisy and they damage the roads. In many areas you also have a drop dead date to remove them.

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 11-10-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:05 PM

It would all depend on how much snow you get..If you get a few inches here and there throughout the winter, all seasons will be fine...But if you deal with snow like I do (we measure it in feet) then snow tires are way better
Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Silver,

I am going to take a look at the Michelins you suggested. If I can run them all year long that is ok with me. I work in the Boston area so for the most part the highways and main roads are usually clear. Certain cities and towns do a lousy job of plowing during the winter and at times you might have one lane to go down a road and thats where I run into issues. I won't be driving this car thru snow packed roads like up in New Hampshire. I would take my full size truck up north but not this HHR. I use the HHR because its great on gas and has the room to store all my tools and parts. Its taken a little to get used too being so low and having those blind spots where the air bags are located. Its fun to drive in and around town and handles quite well on dry and wet pavement. I have 16 inch tires. I was thinking also of the 205 size too. Thanks for the responses so far!

Eddie
Old 11-10-2013, 07:01 PM

I run my 2LT with 16" wheels and Michelin Ice 3 all year around here.
Don't expect a big OK from Michelin as they do not want you to do that.
I think the reason is there are to many people that use no common sense or they live in extreme weather areas.
Our weather here is very moderate both cold and hot so I see no problem running them all year.

I only see 2 possible issues.

1. They will wear faster then a Quailty All season but that's the price you pay for a better winter tire.

2. I would restrict driving higher speeds in Hot weather say 90 to over 100 degrees.

Be sure to check air pressures spring, summer, fall, winter, as the base pressure changes as temps change.

In our State they require all four wheels with same type tire.
SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 11-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:47 AM

I am using winter tires for the first time on any vehicle that I've owned. I purchased a wheel and tire combo of 205/60-15 Michelin Xice 2 tires from the Tire Rack and so far I've been very impressed. Cost a bit over $600 and includes a $75 rebate.

Prior to the winter tires I had the factory Firestones and then I installed a set of Goodyear Eagle tires. The Eagles were OK in snow the first winter but have gotten progressively worse in snow as they wore down. With both sets I noticed that the front end would understeer and eventually the car would break loose a bit and start to slide through turns.

I've not yet got 500 miles on the Michelins and have only had a few chances to drive in slush but they are way better than the all-season Goodyears. No slipping when moving from a dead stop and no pulling from side-to-side when drivng through the slop that accumulates in the middle turn lane. I think this coming winter will be an entirely different driving experience.

I notice a very slight buzz/whine from the Michelins but that's at speeds under 45MPH. I have yet to get them on an expressway.

The Xice 2 and 3 were also rated best by Consumer Reports, and from what I've read you should put winter tires on all four corners as having mismatched sets actually worsens your handling.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by dhw3971
I am using winter tires for the first time on any vehicle that I've owned. I purchased a wheel and tire combo of 205/60-15 Michelin Xice 2 tires from the Tire Rack and so far I've been very impressed. Cost a bit over $600 and includes a $75 rebate.

Prior to the winter tires I had the factory Firestones and then I installed a set of Goodyear Eagle tires. The Eagles were OK in snow the first winter but have gotten progressively worse in snow as they wore down. With both sets I noticed that the front end would understeer and eventually the car would break loose a bit and start to slide through turns.

I've not yet got 500 miles on the Michelins and have only had a few chances to drive in slush but they are way better than the all-season Goodyears. No slipping when moving from a dead stop and no pulling from side-to-side when drivng through the slop that accumulates in the middle turn lane. I think this coming winter will be an entirely different driving experience.

I notice a very slight buzz/whine from the Michelins but that's at speeds under 45MPH. I have yet to get them on an expressway.

The Xice 2 and 3 were also rated best by Consumer Reports, and from what I've read you should put winter tires on all four corners as having mismatched sets actually worsens your handling.

Did you actually put on 205/60/15 // or is that a Typo.....

Yes I noticed a very slight noise at those speeds as well but it did depend on the type of road surface.
Not as much overall noise as Blizzacks.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:19 PM

my blizzaks are a little noisey but they are winter only and they work great. I would not drive a car anymore with out snow tires. If you get a lot of snow snow tires are worth getting.

Quick Reply: Snow tires or All Season?