Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Snow tires on just the front?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Snow tires on just the front?

Hi,
I'm posting this in general, since this question applies to both our 2LT and our SS.

After getting stuck in my inclined driveway yesterday with just maybe a 1/2" of snow on it - I have decided to take others advice and ordered a set of 4 16" steel wheels and Blizzaks from Tirerack.

Originally, I was intending on placing them all on the SS, but now I am wondering just how bad of an idea would it be to - place two on the SS and the other two on the 2LT?

The 2LT currently has 17" wheels and tirerack shows that the set of 4 I am buying should fit either vehicle.

My question is - how bad of an idea is it to mix-n-match wheel types on a single vehicle?

I am not too overly concerned about the rear wheels - and would rather see the Blizzaks benefiting both vehicles instead of just one.

Comments?

Jim
Old 12-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Banned

I see no reason for not using them on both vehicles. I see no benifit of putting them on the rear of either vehicle as the front are the drive wheels. Only problem on the SS is the speedo will be off some but if you check out say 30, 40, 50 and see what the RPM is you should be able to use the tach to judge your mph on the SS.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 AM

Years ago people used to only put snow tires on the back axel but that also was the drive axel. I never bothered but just had good radials with strap-on chains in the trunk in case I needed them. But St Louis never got the volume of snow you'll get in Ohio.

With front wheel drive, don't you still need traction in the back to control the vehicle? Will the stabilitrac system provide enough? Remember, you need the best traction possible to avoid all the crazy people who can't drive in snow. Protect yourself!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Banned

In the old days of rear wheel drive snow tires on the front could be a big help as the front is the steering wheels but being the front is now also the drive wheels I still see no reason for the rear to have snows. I have spent 62 years in the winter weather of Michigan so can speak with a little bit of experience. They will do a whole lot more good on the SS than on the rear of the LT plus it will save you from having to buy another 4 tires and wheels that will give you maybe 10% benefit if that.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 AM

I was told that if you don't have winter tires on the back end the car is more likely to spin out on turns. I have never tried to put them on the front only.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 AM

It doesn't sound like a good idea. Oversteer is very bad. Did you ask Tirerack about this. I highly doubt they would recommend you do that.
Read this from their site

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52
Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 PM

I spent some time in the winter of 06 at the Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat Springs CO.

One thing I learned that for winter driving, snow tires on the drive wheels is certainly better than no winter tires at all but when you put them on all four wheels, you have a significant improvement in both traction and directional control.

If your winter driving means regular use on snow and ice, I'd put Blizzaks on all four corners.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by rockone
It doesn't sound like a good idea. Oversteer is very bad. Did you ask Tirerack about this. I highly doubt they would recommend you do that.
Read this from their site

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52
Tire Rack will have to say put snows all round.

Snow tires improve safety .... if you can afford them. If not, drive more cautiously. If you can afford only 2 snows, then buy thay amount of extra safety and keep your speed down. Most people get more ****y with snow tires and AWDs - they just drive faster.

My stock tires are useless at gripping in snow - as others are finding out. I just priced out a set of 4 steel rims and winter tires - 1,100 CAD - and that's not including the tpms. Going for snow tires is an expensive extra - but I bet its easy to get an HHR stuck even when parking at the side of a street.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Cornering: I picked a nice gradual 40 mph corner for this test and did the test at 35, 40, 45, and 50 mph. Each time around the corner resulted with good results until 50 mph where the tires did not break away, but I started to drift in the corner.

My comments about cornering with 4 new tires on my review thread

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ht=winterforce
Old 12-07-2008, 01:50 PM

FWD do not need rear winter tires unless you want to rotate them.

90% of us do not need winter tires unless you have a very poor set of all season tires.

4 tires and winter tires are better but the HHR can find its way well with out them just as most FWD vehicles.

I live in the same town with the same unplowed streets [thanks mayor] and you will do fine with just a good set of tires.

Look around in the parking lots here Blizzaks are rare.

Quick Reply: Snow tires on just the front?