Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tire Rotation

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Just got through my 4th rotation at 25,000 miles. Someone mentioned that the TPM are not accurate. I will have to disagree (at least on my 4). I have an expensive tire gauge that is known to be accurate, and the TPM readouts match it exactly. The instructions spell out the reprogramming after rotation, but the first time you do it, you may think it is not working: Bleed air for about 7 - 10 seconds, then WAIT about 20 seconds, you will here a beep, then go to the next tire and repeat, when you complete the last one, you will get beeps and lights VERY EASY.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 AM

I was reading through this thread, mine is an '06 so I don't have the tire pressure alert, but I noticed someone was going to "cross rotate" their tires.
Am I behind the times, aren't radial tires ONLY supposed to be "rotated" straight forward and straight back?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tikker
I was reading through this thread, mine is an '06 so I don't have the tire pressure alert, but I noticed someone was going to "cross rotate" their tires.
Am I behind the times, aren't radial tires ONLY supposed to be "rotated" straight forward and straight back?
Only if they are directional tires.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM

Since I have an '06 with no tire monitoring system and I do front to back same side. I did the rotation myself yesterday and managed to lose one lug nut. I was inside my garage, the tire fell over hitting the pile of nuts and one went to the fourth dimention for I could not find it anywhere in my garage. I ended up going to Auto Zone and bought a four pack of lug nuts.

My last car had the tire monitoring device and it was always coming on. The chrome plated wheels were delaminating and leaked. No chrome wheels in my future. I just carried an air pump in the car and refilled the tire that was leaking every other day. The monitoring system didn't identify which tire was low, so I had to check each one.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
ecl

Ive rotated my tires at least 5 times and never had to mess with the TPMS system, and mine seems to be pretty accurate. Checked it with several different tire gauges.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:37 PM

I had the tires rotated a couple of weeks ago and the service guy said that they didn't need to be "relearned". If the pressure is really low you should be able to see it.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tikker
Radial tires have not been built like that since the 70's and actually was NEVER written by the tire industry to not cross rotate.(thats on old wives tale) In fact tire manufacturers and automobile manufacturers recommend cross rotating. ( Cross rotate front to rear and rear straight forward on rear wheel drives, cross rears to front and fronts straight back on front wheel drives and cross all four on 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive). Cross rotating directional tires does not physically hurt the integrity of the tire a bit, but it does defeat the purpose of having a directional tire (IE: Improved wet weather traction, cooler running, maximized stability, and superior dry traction.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 PM

silly question

i got a question , maybe silly...my rear tires are showing very very little signs of wear..i have not rotated for 45000 miles..yea i'm slack....the fronts are wearing out...i wonder if it would just be cheaper to relace the front and never rotate???..i know that this is not recomended...but since noticing how there is very little wear on the rear , it really got me wondering. if rotating will benefit tire sales more than it will benefit consumers???...it may be hard to calculate the true cost...also i can't believe these oem firehawks still have tread on them at 72000.....why put them on the front if they are not even showing any wear???...i may test my theory on my next set..i allready kinda did , but not on purpose.....if anyone has run staggered sets of tires , like on corvettes , they may be able to say if i am right , or totally insane...but also consider that alot of vehicles with staggered tires are mostly rear wheel drive and performace vehicles.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
i got a question , maybe silly...my rear tires are showing very very little signs of wear..i have not rotated for 45000 miles..yea i'm slack....the fronts are wearing out...i wonder if it would just be cheaper to relace the front and never rotate???..i know that this is not recomended...but since noticing how there is very little wear on the rear , it really got me wondering. if rotating will benefit tire sales more than it will benefit consumers???...it may be hard to calculate the true cost...also i can't believe these oem firehawks still have tread on them at 72000.....why put them on the front if they are not even showing any wear???...i may test my theory on my next set..i allready kinda did , but not on purpose.....if anyone has run staggered sets of tires , like on corvettes , they may be able to say if i am right , or totally insane...but also consider that alot of vehicles with staggered tires are mostly rear wheel drive and performace vehicles.

On a FWD, you could run the rear tires until the just dry rot away if you like. But not recommended.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by tireman1554
In fact tire manufacturers and automobile manufacturers recommend cross rotating.
I beg to differ. I know for a fact I've had more than one car where the owners manual recommended tire rotation front to back, etc. No longer owning those cars, I can't quote page numbers or specifics but I do believe my '97 Firebird was one that stated as such.
And yes it was in the late '70's when I did sell tires, so I was wondering based on my experience then.

As I recall, I've had "directional" wheels also might be where I remember some of this as an item. That was on a 4 wheel drive pick-up.

Last edited by Tikker; 05-19-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation