Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

TPMS mal function

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 10:37 AM

TPMS mal function

I have the same issue! Same year 2008... Only after putting on 4 new tires did the TPMS light come on, it was blinking. I went to the tire shop (DiscountTire), and they put in 1 new TPMS sensor. The light went from blinking to solid. They said drive 20+ miles and if the light doesn't go away, come back in. It didn't go away, so I went back in, they re-set all of them many, many times. They were at a loss for why. Took it to a local mechanic, he couldn't figure out how to get it to reset either. So, I went back to Discount Tire, and had them replace ALL 4 TPMS sensors! And the light STILL won't go off! HELP!! I haven't tried disconnecting the negative terminal for 30 minutes (per this thread, which doesn't say if it worked), so I guess I'll try that today. Just spent $280 on 4 new TPMS sensors, so not really wanting to go to the dealer to bleed out even more cash for debug/programming/etc... Anyone else have any ideas? This is totally insane.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:25 PM

A.)do you have a Owner Manual? Free digital copy via the link in my sig. Explains how to reset TPMS.
B.) the tire store thinks you have a PTCruiser.
C.) if the battery has been allowed to go dead a 2008 model HHR needs to get the TPMS firmware upgraded by a dealer. In that case the read out will go to all dashes and you cannot go into relearn mode.
D.) relearn mode REQUIRES a fob.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:45 PM

Hi Don,
(A) Yes. And thanks for the link for the digital version too!
(B) Tire store reset/re-matched/re-learned for 2008 (and 2007 too, just in case) HHR, several times.
(C) I did replace the battery about 6 months ago. But didn't have a problem then... only a few days ago when I got 4 new tires.
So, my only option is to go to dealer and have them upgrade the firmware? This should be free then, right? If it happens to all 2008 HHR's after they replace their battery?
(D) I have 3 key-fobs (1 OEM + 2 aftermarket).

As far as "which TPMS light".. it is the "orange light with the cross-section of a tire containing a big exclamation point inside of it"
Thanks for the reply!
Eddy :)
Old 06-10-2020, 01:04 PM
Administrator

2007 program was different, the 2008 is on it’s own, a mechanic with a Tech II scan tool will be able to reprogram the TPMS module
Old 06-10-2020, 01:30 PM

They only "tried" 2007 as well (since they said my 2008 came out in late 2007 as a 2008 model), so they thought they would give it a shot since 2008 wasn't working.
I just called the dealer and I explained... and I asked how much it would be to flash the firmware for it, and they said $150!! I just spent $280 on 4 new TPMS sensors, I would die if I had to shell out another at least another $150+ for them to upgrade the firmware.
Yesterday, I did take it to a local mechanic (recommended by DiscountTire), and they said they couldn't really figure it out and would need to debug it and charge diagnostic fee to find out. They spent 15 mins (complimentary), tried to reset/relearn/rematch/etc a few times... and said some non-sense about "Power steering code showing up in the keyless entry system" or something, they weren't sure. That guessing diagnosis does NOT make any sense, don't see how that is related to TPMS. My check-engine light is off and the car drives great, no issues at all except the dump TPMS light (where all tire pressure sensors just display dashes). Since it was a reputable shop (Network Automotive, that employs ASE certified tech(s), I'm presuming they used or at least have decent diagnostic equipement, i.e., Tech II scan tool?). So, when you say any mechanic with that tool can reprogram the "TPMS module", are you saying that is the same thing as "flashing the firmware"?
Old 06-10-2020, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Snap in and GM scan tools should have the firmware to correct the problem.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:18 PM

I don't know what "Tire store reset/re-matched/re-learned for 2008 (and 2007 too, just in case) HHR" means, There is a procedure in the Owner Manual that only requires a fob and a tool to release pressure in the tires. That is why I asked about the manual. A 5 minute read will be all it takes. Let me know if looking for yourself is too onerous a task, and I will post the procedure for the umpteenth time.
The "drive it for 20 miles" thing is for PTCruisers.
Does the pressure display on the dash? That is in the manual, also.
The firmware flash has to come from GM, Some shops may have a subscription to Tis2Web . not many though. SnapOn tool can do the job, but they need to dl the firmware. We don't know if this is the problem or not. To find out you will need to attempt the procedure in the Owner Manual, if the first wheel does not learn you need the update.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:23 PM

Unhappy

So, because the car was made in 2008 with faulty firmware, the consumer is responsible for paying to remediate it? Shouldn't Chevy be the one to apologize and offering to fix their botched firmware for free?
I don't see how this would not be a class-action lawsuit? Its kind of like, you bought Microsoft Windows for your computer. Then, Microsoft charged for all of the updates/patches to fix all of the bugs in their software, and then charged you for those fixes.
That would be ethically wrong, correct? All I did as a consumer was change my battery and get new tires... and doing those two things breaks their firmware, such that I have to pay them/someone $100-$150 to fix their mistake?
Please help me to understand this.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:25 PM

Understand this...

We are not GM or Chevy.

Until you try the procedure in the owners manual, you won't know if there's a problem. Start on page 3-39, it explains what the tire pressure warning lights mean.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:38 PM

A) you said it used to be ok?
B) did the battery go dead just before it stopped being ok? Was the battery out for an extended period? They do recommend using a battery substitute when replacing them (a 9 volt battery plugged into the cig lighter) to maintain computer memory.
C) I got them to fix mine, but that was in 2008. I bought it used and it had been on the lot for a while. I had to make quite a scene because they refused to read the Technical Service Bulletin in fact the tech was looking for the RCDLR in the wrong place because they had outdated documents.
D) AssUming anything about any mechanic or shop is stupid. Not bothering to read the Owner Manual is a point in fact.

Quick Reply: TPMS mal function