War Stories HHR vs all

First post - I'm so mad at myself!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:10 PM

First post - I'm so mad at myself!

Hello everyone. Although this is my first post, I have been reading this board since shortly before I bought my HHR in May. I've learned a lot here and appreciate all the great info.

I've never been much of a car person. My HHR is the first vehicle I've owned that I've been this attached to. So when I "injured" her this evening I felt sick.

I ran over a curb (too busy talking to my daughter - stupid me!), and managed to pull off the panel under the driver's side doors (rocker panel molding?). Most of the clips are broken. I can't believe I did something so stupid.

Tomorrow I will go to the dealer to get an estimate on repair. I know that if I go in there with no idea of what I'm talking about I stand a chance of being taken advantage of. So I was wondering if one of you knowledgable folks could tell me 1. The official name of that part. Is rocker panel molding correct? and 2. A general idea of what I can expect in the way of repair cost.

My insurance has a $500 deductible, so I'm hoping to not involve them in this. Any info and/or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Founding Member

Well thats a fine howdy introduction!
Welcome to the group! Really!

Keep us posted an your HHR's trip to see the HHR Doctor! (and your pocket book!)
Old 08-30-2006, 09:18 PM

aboard. Sorry your first post had to be on the War Stories board. Do you have any photos of the damage yet? Sounds like you may not have running boards on your HHR. If not, it might be a good time to add them if it's just the rocker panel below the doors that's damaged.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:40 PM
jx3

Like Deb said, it's a good time to get the running boards.

Where abouts in Florida are you?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:02 AM

I'm seriously considering the running boards if I can convince my husband to install them. Otherwise I don't think I could afford them right now.

I'm in Bradenton FL, which is a little south of Tampa.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 AM

What color do you have..I just replaced my my rockers with the boards and you can have them if you pay the shipping. Mine is dark silver. Let me know.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:39 AM

Sorry to hear about the incident...Glad everyone is OK.

If your insurance has a $500 deductable, I don't think it would cost that much to get running boards installed. If you or your husband are mechanically inclined I know you can get them from some of the vendors mentioned in other posts for less than $500. Even if there is more significant damage, maybe you could get the dealer to cut you a break on the labor charges of taking the other panel off and replacing it, since it would be in the shop getting fixed anyway.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:11 AM

My HHR is Amethyst.

There doesn't appear to be any other damage. Just the panel ripped off. I'd share a picture, but there isn't much to see really. I've found the running boards online for $422 plus shipping, so if I can convince my husband to put them on I may decide to go in that direction. He is mechanically inclined (fixes air conditioners for a living) but he tends to shy away from doing this sort of thing.

Thanks everyone for the welcome.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:18 AM

Congrads and welcome. I like your choice in color
Old 09-02-2006, 09:53 AM

Before we got the repair estimate I made a deal with my husband. If it was more than $350 to repair then we would just go ahead and order the running boards.

The estimate, with tax and labor, was $231. So no running boards for my HHR. At least not right now