War Stories HHR vs all

Sebastian and the dump truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by R CA HHR
please post what kit you have for fixing these lil buggers and a pic of the results so the rest of us can keep our beloved HHRs in tip top shape also.
Thanks, sorry and good luck,
Jim, Michelle and Fiji
No kit used, just Dupli-color primer/filler, Dupli-color touch up paint, Dupli-color clear coat, 2000 grit sandpaper, rubbing alcohol, rubbing compound, scratch repair, and liquid car wash. First thing is to wipe area with alcohol to make sure all is clean. Then LIGHTLY sand around each chip to get rid of any loose paint that may be hanging on using the liquid car wash as a lubricant. Then using a toothpick put in a small amount of primer and wait for it to dry. The primer shrinks quite a bit as it dries so it's important to wait. Repeat this step until the chip is mostly filled, sanding lightly each time (with liquid car wash) to remove high spots. Then, again, using a toothpick put a small amount of paint and wait to dry until it's flush with the surface of the car. It's important to use a small level piece of wood so you sand perfectly flat. When you are done and the chip is repaired to your satisfaction, use the rubbing compound to buff out the sand marks. Then apply clear coat to the area you sanded and buff using a scratch repair (I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze #9 Swirl Remover) and buff away. If you have a high speed buffer, now is the time to use it. The nice thing about the Meguiars #9 is it can be used either by hand or rotary buffer. And that's it. Keep in mind I am NOT an expert, but through reading and research, and unfortunately experience, this method works very well for me. I didn't take a before pic, because at the time I was too upset to think about it, but here is a during and after pic. The second pic is where I am right now, which is after the rubbing compound. I have not buffed it out yet. The top repair still has a very small gap, so I may need to go back and fill it in a bit more, but overall, I'm pleased.
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Uma

Wow, that looks good, I have the same kit, never thought it would turn out that well. I am impressed, congrats to you and I hope that it looks like new!! Todd (Uma)