War Stories HHR vs all

War with the rain, I got lucky

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 07:16 AM

War with the rain, I got lucky

I love my 2007 HHR LT. It has the sunroof, "nice" stereo system, bigger engine, power everything but no onstar or other top top shelf stuff. This is a story of how stupidity and good luck came into play together for me one day.
July - September are peach season here in Utah. Every year I make the trip slightly north of my city to visit the area (in this state) where the most peaches are grown. I like to buy a couple of cases and, after eating as many as I possibly can, make peach jam.

One Saturday late in the season a trip was planned with friends in their van. Trips for peaches with them usually included a stop at a cheese plant up there for cheese curds, a stop at a college up there that makes "famous" ice cream, and a trip to the Idaho border to buy lottery tickets. The weather decided to ruin the trip, and rain was expected throughout the day and night. My friends decided not to go.

Well, I wanted my peaches! Another week or two and they would all be gone for the year. If you've tasted the difference between a supermarket peach and a farmer's market peach, you will understand. I had brand new tires on the front of my car and a little bit of rain didn't bother me.

Another thing about me is that I tend to have a bit of a lead foot. Not so much any more, but eight years ago when this happened, I drove way too fast.

There was a lot more traffic that day than your typical summer Saturday, especially with it raining. It wasn't no-visibility-wipers-aren't-fast-enough raining, but it was coming down pretty good. The ruts in the road had a bit of standing water and it threw the car from side to side when it got over ~ 1/4" deep. Undeterred, I raced down the fast lane, confident that my new tires would keep me safe. I was cussing at traffic and super annoyed that there was so much of it.

Then it happened. I plowed through another rain-filled rut and my car lurched to the right. I had absolutely no control as I began to spin all over the road. I was trying to steer into the spin and correct it but there was nothing I could do. When they say stuff like this happens in slow motion, they aren't kidding. That was what it felt like as I spun and watched other cars serve to avoid me. I just knew I was about to total my car and started praying that nobody involved in this inevitable MVC would be hurt badly.

I think I spun around three times. Miraculously I did not feel any other cars hitting me. I had started in the #1 (left, fast) lane and watched from inside as my car spun onto the grass on the right-hand side of the freeway and came to a halt facing the wrong way. I was pretty dazed for a moment, but after 30 seconds or so I was able to think clearly enough to look around and assess the situation.

First, there was no pile-up of steaming wreckage on the freeway. Not a single car had hit me, or each other! I took another moment to catch my breath, then got out and looked at my car. Not a scratch on it! And despite the wet weather, I was not stuck in the mud. I got back into the car, put it in gear, and drove away. I was very thankful and aware of how lucky I had been.

I continued my trip, at a much slower speed. Bought my peaches, and drove back home. I never told a soul (in person) about how stupid I had been or how I had nearly caused a major accident. To this day I am much more cautious, especially when driving in weather.

It often takes an earth-shatteringly scary incident to change someone's life for the better. My foot is no longer made of lead. I drive at a speed where I feel safe, and am no longer in a huge hurry to get anywhere.

TL;DR I spun out on the freeway one day in the rain after carelessly driving way too fast. I didn't cause an accident or damage my car. It changed the way I drive, and i no longer foolishly drive too fast for conditions.

Thanks for reading!

By the way, if there's another part of the forum that would be better for this post, please let me know so I can delete this to post there. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2022, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Your story is fine here, maybe look into better tires!