General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

LED Light Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:31 AM

LED Light Bar

I have been really interested in getting an LED Light Bar installed on my 09 HHR but I don't really know what I am doing and I am hoping one of you incredible experts can give me some advice.

While I would love to put on a nice curved 30" light bar like LunchBox did on his, I don't want to have to perform too many mods to the bumper or have to fabricate anything; so I am thinking about adding a small bar to my front license plate mount. I live in a state that doesn't need a front tag so it means nothing to me if the space is covered.

That's what I am interested in using. Now, my question is, how do I get this wired up? Tragically, my HHR doesn't have fog lights installed and I am not sure how I would install this without having a switch in cabin for additional lights. I would prefer to not install some ugly aftermarket switch so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:35 AM

Here's how I did the first set of fogs lights, wiring should work for what you want to do as well.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...g-lights-5524/
Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Technical Moderator

The hole for the switch is there. You can buy the switch and relay. Some cars even have the wiring already installed with plugs for pigtails on both ends.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Here's how I did the first set of fogs lights, wiring should work for what you want to do as well.

Solman, I just read through your fog light how to, but I didn't see any mention of if your new wiring had a fuse.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by solman98

Thanks for this. This is really helpful.

Originally Posted by donbrew
The hole for the switch is there. You can buy the switch and relay. Some cars even have the wiring already installed with plugs for pigtails on both ends.
This is embarrassing but do you know that I have no idea where the switch for stock fog lamps would even be. I would really love the stock look. Hell, is it even possible to have stock lamps installed?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Technical Moderator

". Hell, is it even possible to have stock lamps installed?"

Yes.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...tory-fogs-637/
Old 02-11-2016, 07:48 PM

Fog lights

I'm the other guy on the road and sometimes get blinded by some lugnut that just has to have half a dozen extra lights on at night. Check with your DMV as to lights and how much you can have legally. I know there is a move afoot to ban the *&^%$ blue headlights. Back in the old days we used to dim the headlights for oncoming cars...not a universal thing today. For those who just can't drive at night without more lights please consider the oncoming vehicles. Try slowing down so as not to overdrive the headlights or park the car at night. Sorry folks, sore subject and I know that not all people that do have extra light are not out to blind other drivers.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Technical Moderator

X2, there is a reason that it is illegal to use fogs and hi-beams at the same time.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:04 PM

It should also be noted that the vast majority of LED headlights and fog lights are not street legal, including 100% of all drop-in LED bulbs, and all but 2 brands of LED light bars. Those two brands being Rigid Industries & JW Speaker - but they are only legal when properly installed & properly aimed according to your state's motor vehicle laws and specifications for fog lights. Most states laws follow SAE standards J1113-21 &/or SAE J583 for fog lights since there is no DOT standard governing fog lights.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:54 PM

I totally know what you guys are saying. I am someone who actually does dim my brights when approaching traffic. The reason I need more light though is because I very frequently drive in areas where there isn't any light visible except from the moon and stars. I also sometimes will go almost ten minutes or so without passing another soul. I also hit a deer not too long ago that I didn't see until I was so close on it that I didn't have time to react. If I had a little better lighting I may have been able to see it sooner and maybe I could have had time to react.

Quick Reply: LED Light Bar