General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Question on Steering column rattle issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:40 AM

Question on Steering column rattle issue

Just curious if anybody here has had, or been having the steering column rattle in their 2011 HHR.

Did you have the Intermediate shaft replaced?
If so did that solve the problem?

In other words the GM legal challenge that forced the replacement Intermediate Shaft 25834100.
I think that challenge took place Nov 23, 2009

I am wondering if some or all of the 2011 production HHR's got the New
replacement shaft.

TSB 04-03-08-006E only covers 2006 to 2010 HHR's unless their is a later TSB that includes the 2011.

Thoughts ??

SF
Old 11-21-2016, 09:56 AM
Administrator

The parts palaces of the old inter webs show the only part number for all years as 25834100.
Did this number supersede and go into production? I don't know, one would think so , but then again, this part fits several GM products.
If your 2011 has the rattle then your dealership would be the people to discuss it with.
At least is come down in price since I replaced mine in 2013.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Technical Moderator

Legal Challenge? I don't know anything about that, please annotate.
There is probably a TSB that end in F to include 2011 models. I guess you didn't read:
This bulletin is being revised to add 2010 model year and update Condition #7 with new part
information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-08-006D (Section 03 -

Supercedes:

Suspension). This bulletin provides information on eight different steering/front suspension noise
conditions.
Superceded Bulletin(s): 04-03-08-006D, Date of Issue: February 24, 2009
BTW; that TSB is what the link in my sig is all about. The intermediate shaft is only the first thing on the list.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=donbrew;814518]

Legal Challenge? I don't know anything about that, please annotate.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 AM #3

sleeper

Member #: 2558

GM sues supplier over steering woes
Cobalt, other small cars from 2005 on are affected
Topics
Plymouth
General Motors Corp.
Automotive Equipment
See more topics »
XCar Repair and Maintenance Tips By Ed White

Associated Press

1:44 p.m. CST, November 23, 2009
E-mail Print Share Text Size

DETROIT -- General Motors Co. has sued a supplier, saying it has spent more than $30 million fixing problems in the steering systems of the Chevrolet Cobalt, its best-selling small car, and other vehicles.

GM said customers have complained about unusual rattles, "clunks" and other noises. It pinpointed the flaw to "excessive gear backlash," which causes problems in the steering column under certain driving conditions.

The lawsuit names JTEKT North America Inc., based in Plymouth, Mich., and an affiliated company, JTEKT Automotive Virginia Inc. of Daleville, Va.

GM said it wants to be paid for replacing thousands of parts under customer warranty claims on the Cobalt, Pursuit, G5, HHR and other cars, starting with 2005 model year.

By fall, the cost had exceeded $30 million, and "GM's damages are expected to continue to increase as additional warranty claims are made," the automaker's lawsuit said.

"JTEKT contends the components all met the specifications and testing requirements that GM gave it," said Bob Haddad, a lawyer for the supplier. "The issues do not affect the operator's ability to control the vehicle. This is a noise issue."

Changes were made at GM's request, and JTEKT continues to provide steering assemblies, Haddad said Monday.

The steering systems are in tens of thousands of GM cars. Court papers do not indicate whether the company considers this a safety issue. A GM spokesman, Alan Adler, had no immediate comment.

The lawsuit was filed in August in Macomb County Circuit Court, amended there in October and moved Nov. 17 to federal court in Detroit.

The Cobalt is GM's best-selling small car and its highest-mileage vehicle. The company sold 90,940 Cobalts through October, but sales are down 46 percent from the same period in 2008.

The car, built in Lordstown, Ohio, is due to be replaced next year by the Chevrolet Cruze, which GM promises will get around 40 miles per gallon on the highway and be competitive with the best small cars in the world.

Well, at least it's only reported to be a "Noise issue"

"JTEKT contends the components all met the specifications and testing requirements that GM gave it," said Bob Haddad, a lawyer for the supplier. "The issues do not affect the operator's ability to control the vehicle. This is a noise issue."

Changes were made at GM's request, and JTEKT continues to provide steering assemblies, Haddad said Monday.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:37 AM
Old 11-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Technical Moderator

Read it again; GM was suing the vendor to get paid for warranty service.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew

Read it again; GM was suing the vendor to get paid for warranty service.
Yes .. That is obvious.

My point in mentioning the Law Suit was to establish a "time frame" in which GM initiated action on fixing the defective part, which they did.

GM said it wants to be paid for replacing thousands of parts under customer warranty claims on the Cobalt, Pursuit, G5, HHR and other cars, starting with 2005 model year.
"Changes were made at GM's request, and JTEKT continues to provide steering assemblies, Haddad said Monday".

I am just asking to see if any owners with 2011 HHR's have had the issue and had a replacement, and if so did it fix the noise problem.

If the new part was available at that time which for most complaints would have been approx. 23,000 miles or more, then they could have been installed in some or all of the 2011 production.

I do not have a problem in my 2011 but it would be nice to know you already have the new improved shaft.

Also I just checked the 25834100 part number with my parts guy and he says it is still current as far as a replacement repair goes.

SF
Old 11-21-2016, 04:06 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't see any mention of "GM initiated action on fixing the defective part". GM initiated an action to recover damages from a supplier and suggested changes to the supplier.

I do see that GM was replacing a lot of the shafts under the "bumper to bumper warranty". But, if you read the TSB it does say "steering column kit", not intermediate shaft; knowing the level of reading comprehension of GM technicians, I bet a lot of the replacements were entire shaft assemblies.

In fact, I don't see any legal challenge.

I think you may be reading too much into the story.

Yes, somebody has replaced the shaft. Oldblue mentions it weekly.

My guess is that if the vendor made suggested changes on or before 11/24/2009 that a 2011 would have the new part. It does not say when the changes were made.

They don't change part numbers for minor changes, this sounds like a change in the factory not necessarily the part itself. Like changing tools more often, etc.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:40 PM

Just replaced mine this summer with JCHH06 from Rock Auto. Real pain to get firewall boot in place but fit perfect otherwise and price is a lot better.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:44 PM

budzone,

What year is your HHR and how many miles on it.

What was the result of the change. Did it fix the rattle or clunk.

SF
Old 11-21-2016, 07:03 PM

As of now 182,000K so about 115,000M. 2008 LT with 2.2 auto. Clunk and rattle gone, but they should be because by the time I changed it the cups were half worn through. It was so bad that it no longer had any of the lock up feeling to it. I scared myself when I looked at it. Think it could have fell apart just by hitting a bad hole.