General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:38 PM

diggin it
Old 11-18-2014, 06:08 AM

I drive a silver panel, that will look so kewl on t-shirt when you get it done. no way I could ever come up with sumthang that kewl GREAT JOB!!!!!!!! been watching your project since you started posting it,,, would be awesome to see the finished product
again great job!!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Engine Shop

The Ls1 is finally back from the machine shop. It was machined in every possible way. Including the decks being squared with the center line of the crank. Most of the new parts are laid out on the bench. The best of everything. Ls1's routinely make over 500 hp but it isn't easy or cheap to build them that way. On Monday I will get the 102mm throttle body
(Z28 Camaros come with a 78mm) and mount it to the FAST 102 intake manifold. It should be real nice.

Here is a picture of my friend and engine builder Troy Davis with the goods. (He really does have 2 arms)
Attached Images   

Last edited by lasater; 11-21-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:55 PM

You make even Tim Taylor envious!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:23 PM

It's getting fun now

We're assembling all the goodies for the engine now, it's looking good. Just finished putting all the parts of the intake system together. I've bumped the throttle body from a 78 mm to a 102mm. The FAST manifold was gray when I got it so l painted it black to keep with the black and red theme.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2014, 09:36 PM

I'm sure you've already mentioned this but are you using the camaros ECM or a stand alone?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeSS
I'm sure you've already mentioned this but are you using the camaros ECM or a stand alone?
I'm using the complete Camaro wiring harness and all computers. I even have to use Camaro seat belts so they will work with the Camaro bcm.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by lasater
I'm using the complete Camaro wiring harness and all computers. I even have to use Camaro seat belts so they will work with the Camaro bcm.
Wow, that's neat. I thought you scrapped the camaro bcm idea. What else do you "have to" use with the maro's bcm?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeSS
Wow, that's neat. I thought you scrapped the camaro bcm idea. What else do you "have to" use with the maro's bcm?
I lost track of how many people I consulted with on the electrical challenges of this build. I have built a bunch of street rods in my day, but they were all very simple cars. It really doesn't take much to drop a V8 in a model A and get it to run. Modern cars are an entirely different deal. This is why nobody does this........well, almost nobody.

Anyway, it was decided by people smarter than me that it would be easier and safer to build a Camaro in HHR clothing than to try to get all the computers to play nice. Hell, I don't even know what most of them do. My master plan is to put the Camaro harness in the panel and splice the HHR lights, door locks, power windows, turn signals, seat belt tensioners, and everything else together. I think it will work. ....at least I hope so.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by lasater
I lost track of how many people I consulted with on the electrical challenges of this build. I have built a bunch of street rods in my day, but they were all very simple cars. It really doesn't take much to drop a V8 in a model A and get it to run. Modern cars are an entirely different deal. This is why nobody does this........well, almost nobody.

Anyway, it was decided by people smarter than me that it would be easier and safer to build a Camaro in HHR clothing than to try to get all the computers to play nice. Hell, I don't even know what most of them do. My master plan is to put the Camaro harness in the panel and splice the HHR lights, door locks, power windows, turn signals, seat belt tensioners, and everything else together. I think it will work. ....at least I hope so.
I bet as long as you have schematics for both cars, you should b ok.

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build