General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeSS
Makes sure you do a good burnout :) and don't forget the camera. Rwd HHR burnout has "epic" written all over it.
Once this thing is finished my first priority will be a professional multi camera (5 or 6) video of the cars capabilities. I think something like this would be a big hit.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:30 PM

I'd probably watch the video everyday. Have seen the "GoBalt" over on cobaltss? It's a 6.0 swapped rear drive cobalt.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Frenchy42
I'd probably watch the video everyday. Have seen the "GoBalt" over on cobaltss? It's a 6.0 swapped rear drive cobalt.
Yes, Steve, the GoBalt builder has been very helpful. We email back and forth often. He's a great guy.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Please hurry...I'm starting to get the shakes...lol
Old 12-02-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by sbrice54
Please hurry...I'm starting to get the shakes...lol
And here I thought it was just me!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by lasater
Began to put the interior back in the V8 Panel today. This may sound like no big deal but I have changed so many parts on this thing I need to know how it's lining up. Had to "hot wire" the drivers seat to move it to the rear. As anyone knows that has removed the driver's seat, it must be moved to the front position to get to the rear bolts. I'm putting it in a car with no wires and no power. I hooked a 12v battery to some wire leads and powered it up to move it into position. The shifter sits just right. I can't wait to be banging it wot thru the gears. I still need to bend the brake pedal arm to the right about 2" and fabricate a gas pedal.

The second photo shows just how much I'll have to cut out of the inside rear plastic interior panels. Right now the spare tire section hits the sub-frame, coil overs, rear axle, panhard bar, gas tank, etc, etc. Once these panels are cut to fit I will get serious on finishing tubbing the rear wheel wells and finding out just where I can mount the full roll cage I'll be making.

So as you can see, I have a long way to go.
This may be a stupid question but did you ever think about building your frame with round tubing instead?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by arie21
This may be a stupid question but did you ever think about building your frame with round tubing instead?
Actually no, I didn't. Three reasons; 1. The weird angles of the bends were pretty easy to accomplish in wood and then transfer them to rectangle tubing. 2. I'm not that good of a tube bender. (Wait till you guys see the roll cage!) I don't think I could have duplicated the two sides by bending tubing. I might have been OK with the first one but a mirror image....I don't think so. 3. The brackets that sandwich the sheet metal floor are much stronger welded on to a rectangle verses a round tube.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Administrator

I've always used rectangle tube for the frame and round tube for roll bars and nerf bars on my race cars and a few pro street cars I built back in the 90's and I concur with you much easier to match curves and angles and much stronger !
Old 12-05-2014, 04:25 PM

A view from under the car

As I continue to work on the cut out areas for the cats to fit I snapped this shot of the undercarriage. I don't know if I have posted this view or not . Anyway, I thought you might like it. And yes, that is tie wire holding the fuel cell up. Another thing I am starting on is the gas pedal since I'm in the area. I am using a Lokar Eliminator pedal (new school ) with a rectangular Moon (old school) pedal replacing the billet aluminum pedal. I'll post pics of that next week.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Artwork man pure artwork!

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build