Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Maintenance and Upkeep > Bleeding/flushing brake lines
-

Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Banned

Member #: 11076
Check out my gallery 
Bleeding/flushing brake lines

Planning to bleed brakes. Had Chevy mechanic warn me about using pressure bleeder, advised gravity bleeding. Any wisdom on this topic would be appreciated.
blacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
If you have ABS on your HHR, don't even attempt it, you need to have a scan tool to operate the valves in the brake controller or you will never get it bled. Why do you feel the brakes need bled, are you having issues with the master cylinder, leaking brake lines, etc?

On being left in a parking lot for 500 million years: "The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into sort of a decline"-Marvin the Paranoid Android
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #3

Member #: 3572
Check out my gallery 
Pressure or manual bleeding will work fine. The order is RR, LF, LR, RF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843de View Post
If you have ABS on your HHR, don't even attempt it, you need to have a scan tool to operate the valves in the brake controller or you will never get it bled. Why do you feel the brakes need bled, are you having issues with the master cylinder, leaking brake lines, etc?
The brakes should be bled every other year or more often if you're hard on them.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #4

Member #: 9457
Check out my gallery 
bleeding brakes

Yup,

Panel is right, bleeding that old, wet fluid is just as important as any other maintenance. I'm thinking that you save damage to all of those expensive braking parts for what....$6.00? Then there is the safety factor of having dry fluid that won't boil, it is win-win. You will need a quart of any good brand of DOT3/4 you decide to buy.

The only time that you can get in trouble is when you let air enter the system, do you homework, read up on the procedure, always keep the reservoir full and go for it. Besides, regularly doing this task keeps the bleeders excercised so that they don't seize up and break off.

QuickRick
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Premium Member

Member #: 23591
Check out my gallery 
I have an electric vaccuum pump that I use when doing a brake job. Never had a problem with bleeding ABS breaks. Like the others say, just keep an eye on the brake reservoir when doing this job.
VinceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #6

Member #: 36704
Check out my gallery 
Piece of cake with the right tools.
Grey leather Foose wheels now has a back seat..Who in their right mind would put the power window buttons on the floor? SHOULD BE A LAW THAT SAYS WHAT EVER SIDE OF THE ROAD YOU DRIVE ON, THE FRICKING GAS CAP SHOULD BE ON THAT SIDE TOO! SOMEONE NEEDS THEIR HEAD EXAMINED.
interrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #7

Member #: 14016
Check out my gallery 
I'm thinking I should look into bleeding my brakes and putting new fluid in now that I've hit the 5 year 50k mile mark...
1983 Chevy C-10 Scottsdale Pickup (166k miles) Built 4/83 in Flint, MI, Received 1/05
urbexHHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #8

Member #: 42172
Check out my gallery 
I just did mine last week (at 100K and 6 years), and it made a huge difference, without really changing anything else. I seem to have had no air, but lots of cruddy-looking fluid that I pushed out.

I did buy some Russell Speed Bleeders and installed them, because my "help" is not always all that effective. I got spoiled when I was doing competitive stuff, too. They are much easier to use once you get used to them.

One other thing I just thought of - is there a clutch bleed point? Never even checked for one... I'll search. Got it: Where to bleed clutch
Looks like I'm not quite done...
Old 06-08-2014, 09:05 AM

submit to reddit