Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > air conditioning and vent controls
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #1

Member #: 13383
Check out my gallery 
Smile air conditioning and vent controls

hi,i have 2006 hhr.when i turn controls to vent i still get warm air and then i will be driving and all of a sudden the vent air starts to work for a while and then back to warm air.same with air conditioning.i will turn on air,get air for a while and then no air and then air again.some times i hear like a vacuum opening up.oh for the old days of cable vents...open or closed ,no problems!anybody know what causes this and how to fix?love my hhr!thank you
Diskokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Premium Member

Member #: 18078
Check out my gallery 
OK. If I'm understanding this. Turning on the vent air or AC, the air from the vents is going from cold to warm on it's own. You said "no air", but I'm assuming it is still blowing from the vents.
Sounds like a possible blend door problem. If you are not knowledgable in automotive AC's, this one is best left to a professional.
Even to diagnois this will require going behind the dash. All of the controls and ducting are nicely hidden behind the dash area.
A 2006 with ? miles. At this age it could use a AC system checkup also.

2010 HHR SS, 5spd, LSD, Brembos
TTR rear sway bar
TTR front mount
GM Turbo Upgrade
Forge Motorsports BPV
Pedders Sportsryder springs
Flowmaster HP2 Shorty
firemangeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 

It sure does sound like a blend door problem, or a possible failure of the switch/knob assembly.

I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #4

Member #: 14820
Check out my gallery 
I believe those damper/blend doors are vacuum operated. If there is a vacuum leak, or the one way valve has failed, it would tend to change the door positions when accelerating. Do you notice that change most noticably when accelerating, or is it completely random?

Last edited by Laco; 06-09-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

Member #: 24127
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemangeorge View Post
OK. If I'm understanding this. Turning on the vent air or AC, the air from the vents is going from cold to warm on it's own. You said "no air", but I'm assuming it is still blowing from the vents.
Sounds like a possible blend door problem. If you are not knowledgable in automotive AC's, this one is best left to a professional.
Even to diagnois this will require going behind the dash. All of the controls and ducting are nicely hidden behind the dash area.
A 2006 with ? miles. At this age it could use a AC system checkup also.
Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. I was thinking about the air conditioning check up too, but since I am not a technician I am not able to offer ideas such as that.

I hope you had a great weekend.
ChevroletCustomerService is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 AM

submit to reddit