Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Check Engine Code P0014?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 PM

Check Engine Code P0014?

I own a Chevy HHR 2.4L LT, 2011 with 30,500 miles on the clock.
Driving home from work tonight the check engine light came on and O"Reilleys identified it as P0014. The car has 39% oil life remaining. I then went shopping and lo and behold the "service airbag" warning message came on, but has since gone off.
Researching the P code at home it appears that it MAY be due to low oil level, but I haven't checked that out yet. How feasible is that possibility?
Checking out the forums here it may well be covered by the power train warranty and repaired for free? If that is the case do I just take it in to my local Chevy dealership?
I am very concerned re. the airbag warning in case it deploys whilst driving. Could the 2 cases be connected?
Thanks in advance for any replies received!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Banned

It's definitely possible. I was more than a quart low at about the same %.... Go look.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:43 PM

I doubt the two are related but strange thing do happen. The code p0014 is for cam b timing which could be a cam actuator problem. I would check with your dealer and check if it is under warrantee if so take it in.

They can also check the codes for the air bag system. It should have a code for the air bag in memory.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Deceased

The P0014 code is one of a "family" of related codes covered in the thread linked below....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-valve-replacement-w-pics-p0010-11-p0013-14-a-28779/

Dirty oil, or prolonged change intervals can also cause that code family to crop uo, so an oil change should be in order.

As for the SRS light, it may be spurious, but it would be a good idea to have your dealer or qualified tech check that out.

The system detected a fault and the scan tools used by auto parts stores aren't set up to read SRS codes for various reasons mostly involving liability.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
I doubt the two are related but strange thing do happen. The code p0014 is for cam b timing which could be a cam actuator problem. I would check with your dealer and check if it is under warrantee if so take it in.

They can also check the codes for the air bag system. It should have a code for the air bag in memory.
Would the airbag issue be covered under the 'bumper to bumper' warranty also?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hocuspocusblade
Would the airbag issue be covered under the 'bumper to bumper' warranty also?
If you still have any of the 36 month warranty period left, then yes, it would.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Technical Moderator

The airbag is not going to deploy because the warning light is on. That usually means that the SRS has been de activated.

Did you happen to have something heavy in the passenger seat?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 PM

Thanks for all your input, you have been a font of knowledge!
By means of an update and to perhaps assist fellow forum members I wish to appraise you of the following information.
Fortunately for me my vehicle is still covered by the 'bumper to bumper' warranty so it went in today to my local Chevy dealership for repair.
The P0014 code was diagnosed to be an internal malfunction in the exhaust actuator solenoid which was replaced.
The airbag issue could not be replicated in the shop and was deemed to be working correctly.
As 'donbrew' stated above it would appear that the warning message activated as a result of having a light load (a package of Keurig Vue Cups) on the passenger seat, albeit only 2 pounds in weight, but no seat belt clipped in place!
So all is well once again in my HHR land!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Deceased

Spiffy!

Always nice to hear about a good outcome from a happy member.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by hocuspocusblade
Thanks for all your input, you have been a font of knowledge!
By means of an update and to perhaps assist fellow forum members I wish to appraise you of the following information.
Fortunately for me my vehicle is still covered by the 'bumper to bumper' warranty so it went in today to my local Chevy dealership for repair.
The P0014 code was diagnosed to be an internal malfunction in the exhaust actuator solenoid which was replaced.
The airbag issue could not be replicated in the shop and was deemed to be working correctly.
As 'donbrew' stated above it would appear that the warning message activated as a result of having a light load (a package of Keurig Vue Cups) on the passenger seat, albeit only 2 pounds in weight, but no seat belt clipped in place!
So all is well once again in my HHR land!
Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced this concern with your vehicle. Please feel free to follow up with us regarding your dealership visit. I will be glad to document any feedback that you have. If any other assistance is needed with your HHR, feel free to contact us via private message. I look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Check Engine Code P0014?