Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Computer failer ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Computer failer ??

i have a 2006 hhr and have started experiencing some wierd hiccups. A couple months ago, I noticed that my instrument panel stopped working; speedometer was at zero, the water temp was as high as it could be and the fuel gauge was higher than full. After I started the car a couple times it went back to normal and has not since come back. 2 weeks ago I started the car and my power steering was not working, it read on my instrument panel " power steering failer ". After a couple restarts it clicked back on and no problems again. Now a few days ago the engine light came on and a couple times, brake fluid came on the panel. I took it to a place that read the code and said it read, the throttle position sensor. They cleared it and has not come on again. I did take it to a Chevy dealer after the power steering failed and they told me to have a diagnosis done on it and if they found a problem (even though he was addimit there was no recall) it would be covered. Ugh, problem is I can only go on a Saturday and they only have "light job mechanics" on Saturday. Should I be worried ? Has anyone else had these problems?

Last edited by Tanya Barnes; 01-07-2017 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Missed putting in a couple words
Old 01-07-2017, 11:04 PM

Hi Tanya, to the forums!!

It sounds your battery may be on it's way out. Your local auto parts store should be able to test it for you at no cost, as well as test the entire charging system.

Another possibility is that the underhood fuse box may be loose. The top and the bottom halves sometimes become loose, causing many circuits to have a poor connection. Here is a video for tightening it up, although you probably don't need to be as thorough as the uploader of the video.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 01-08-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum.

Rather than refer to any downloaded codes by the mechanics description, we need the actual code to offer much in the way of advice. Please post the code(s) and we'll see what we can advise.

re: power steering - they have been known to fail or go intermittant - there is no recall on it, however there is an extended warranty that covers replacement of the power steering electric motor - your dealer will have to do that for you.

Have you done the recall on the ignition switch yet? If not, that needs to be done - it MIGHT be related to some of the issues you have been having.

Your name seems vagely familiar - did you have a gray HHR at the car show in Ladner last fall?
Old 01-08-2017, 12:02 AM

I wasn't told the codes, just that it was the throttle position sensor and another related to the same. I am definitely going to find out if the ignition switch recall was done. I bought the car last February. Sorry, haven't been to any car shows. I live in British Columbia, Canada. Thank you both for your replies and advice.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:07 AM

I fixed the link.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 AM
Technical Moderator

Vancouver is in British Columbia Canada, too.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...-status-50716/

Last edited by donbrew; 01-08-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sounds familiar, when the battery's going south these electrical hiccups start , also when ground wires get corroded and loose.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Vancouver is in British Columbia Canada, too.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...-status-50716/
Checked out that recall link and apparently nothing comes up. So it may have been done already, I guess. Thank you for the link.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Once again, older HHR's with intermittent or ANY electrical issues may have a bad relay. Before changing the battery/alternator/ignition switch/PS motor or splitting your fuse box (which is NOT easy to put back together BTW and can cause bent pins if you're not careful) have your relays checked or try swapping them around. On a 10-11 year old HHR this is the first thing to check, it costs nothing and new relays are $20 in Canada (probably $5 in the USA).