Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hard Shifting, Traction Control Light and P0010 P0011

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Did it work!?!?

I ordered the parts from gmpartsdirect.com where did you guys order parts from? trying to make sure I got the right ones. Did changing the parts work for everyone?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:30 PM

solenoids

I bought the intake first did not fix the problum a half later went back to the dealer and bought the xaust it has been about 2 months everything is great now unless I punch it the hard shifting will return, shut off the engine the hardshifting goes away. Whopper had photos on how to change both of them I owe him many thanks.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:29 PM

I think it worked?

So the story goes I had the problem and I ordered the parts, from GM parts direct which at the time I didnt know must look at their orders and then take a 5 day lunch cause it took 2 weeks to deliver them, so in my 2 weeks of waiting i decided to make sure all the fuses and relays where seated properly, checked them reseated them and everything and the problem (after i deleted the code) went away for a week and a half. then the parts finally came and the problem was still gone. so I decided to put the parts in even though i didnt have the problem and its been like 2 and a half weeks and no prob...
Old 07-07-2010, 11:11 AM

P0010 / P0011 codes hard shift, engine light, T/C light

2006 HHR LT2 2.4 with 80K. Changed both cam sensors intake/exhaust and still have codes, lights, and hard shifting. Can anyone give me a list of what to check and/or replace?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM

FYI to all, I replaced the intake oil control valve ($50-60 at the dealership) and this fixed the issue with the CEL and the traction control/hard shifting all at once. I keep getting PM's about this from time to time, so I figured I would come back and add this to help others out.

Apparently if the oil control valve goes bad (which controls the variable valve timing) then that will cause the computer that controls the transmission to shift hard. Why will it do it? Who the hell knows.

The oil control valves are underneath the giant black engine cover pictured below:

Once you remove that, you can see the two verticly mounted plugs going through the valvecover (pictured below) remove the single bolt holding each one in place and wiggle back and forth while pulling hard (the machine tolerances are pretty tight, so you just gotta yank it out pretty hard):

Whopper posted this already in the thread:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-valve-replacement-w-pics-p0010-11-p0013-14-a-28779/

That is the same as I did to fix mine.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 AM

hello all, I'm a newby with an 06 HHR. 78,000 miles, t/c light has come on with the associated hard shifting. I've read about everyone's similiar problems and have a few questions...1) does replacing the exhust and intake solenoids fix the problem or 2) is it the intake oil control valve that has failed and 3) has anyone had the problem fixed at a dealership under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Thanks for all of your help. Jim in Kentucky
Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Posting by Whooper:
P0010 code and Traction control light/Hard shifting etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I too have had the P0010 code thrown along with the Engine Check and Traction Control lights lit. I ended up replacing both of the Camshaft Postition Actuator Solenoids which are located on the top of the valve cover, under the air cleaner housing.

Here is a link to a description of the process involved in changing out the solenoids - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28779
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++

Grade A+++ advice and link w/ pictures! Thanks so much. Used this link to change out valve and now my car is running fantastic!
Okay, here's where I went wrong and right to hopefully help out others with this issue.
First of all, go directely to your local GM dealership and buy the part (12628347 - Intake cam solenoid) for around $50. I went to an Advanced Auto store and ended up replacing the Intake Cam sensor, not the solenoid!
I also got some good information from an expericanced GM mechanic.
1. the T/C light usually mean a dirty oil issue.
2. Only use GM parts, including the AC Delco oil filter.
3. Change oil & filter. Make sure to wipe the area where the filter seal is.
4. There is no reason to change out the exhaust solenoid, this will not make a difference.

Okay, that's what I've learned, along with... Do NOT use the "oil change" digital gauge that comes with the car and just change your oil every 3,000 - 5,000 miles instead. It sounds like if my oil stayed cleaner this problem may have not occured.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 PM

I have a 2006 HHR with under 100,000 miles that I bought an extended warrenty on. There is no warrently for 06' HHR's. I was really ticked off that my extended warrently that I paid over $1,800 for didn't cover this problem, and the dealership wanted almost $300 to fix it. That's why we tried it ourselves first and thank goodness it worked!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 PM

So I did this the other day and replaced the valves. I am still getting the hard shifting and t/c light coming on. I have a feeling this is more to do with the actual CAM position sensors than the valve/ actuators. Has anyone tried replacing there positions sensors?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Question Help

My 2009 2LT 2.4 has 20,000 miles. Automatic transmission.
Several weeks ago I noticed then when driven in the morning for the first 2 miles or so it doesn't want to shift into the final gear as it should. Then at about the 1-1/2 mile mark each morning when entering a turn at approx 35 mph it shuttered and a (ESC ? can't remember exactly) traction Control Code flashed on the dash. That would go away and everything was fine.
Then yesterday after having driven 25 miles, I entered a sharp curve at approx 48mph and the car jolted noticably throwning me forward, then another "traction error code" flashed on the dash.
WHAT's Up with this? Anyone know?

Quick Reply: Hard Shifting, Traction Control Light and P0010 P0011