Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hard Shifting, Traction Control Light and P0010 P0011

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cobbie916
So I did this the other day and replaced the valves. I am still getting the hard shifting and t/c light coming on. I have a feeling this is more to do with the actual CAM position sensors than the valve/ actuators. Has anyone tried replacing there positions sensors?
Did the CEL throw a code? and if so, what was the code? You really need to get a code to work towards a diagnosis, else you can just end up throwing parts on spec at it.

You may be right about the cam position sensors, but a code will really help.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 AM

My GF says that her '06 HHR is shifting hard. I do not know if the TC light is coming on.

I was going to take it Aamco for a free diagnostic but after reading this thread it seems this is a known issue. As such, and being as I am not all that knowledgeable about engines, is it worth it to take the HHR to the local Chevy dealer and expect them to know what to do to fix the problem as opposed to suggesting expensive repairs?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by seernst
My GF says that her '06 HHR is shifting hard. I do not know if the TC light is coming on.

I was going to take it Aamco for a free diagnostic but after reading this thread it seems this is a known issue. As such, and being as I am not all that knowledgeable about engines, is it worth it to take the HHR to the local Chevy dealer and expect them to know what to do to fix the problem as opposed to suggesting expensive repairs?
The code if Aamco can get one for you will tell you the story (hopefully) - but with my HHR, it didn't always throw a code. If it's p0011, it is most likely one of the Camshaft Postition Actuator Solenoids.

Part numbers:
12628348 - Exhaust cam solenoid - throws code P0011 (the one at the rear of the engine)
12628347 - Intake cam solenoid - throws code P0013 (the one at the front of the engine)

There is a writeup at https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-valve-replacement-w-pics-p0010-11-p0013-14-a-28779/ that details infomation to help you do the replacement yourself. It really is a fairly simple job. But by all means see your dealer or mechanic if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself. Keep in mind, that the solenoids will cost somewhere between $50 - $75 each - and if the dealer replaces them, the charge could be as much as $600 (I think that was the $'s quoted by another poster here).

Keep us posted on the results of that code scan

ps: here is a listing of the various codes and the descriptions - courtesy of ChevyMgr - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/list-diagnostic-trouble-codes-2008-2010-hhr-14259/
Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 PM

Thumbs up

I changed the solenoids it made a big diffrence but if I punched the hard shifting would come on, 2 weeks ago i had the ECM programed had 21 updates almost doubled the gas mileage now I can punch it and it hauls $92.00 at the chevy dealer what a diffrence.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
I changed the solenoids it made a big diffrence but if I punched the hard shifting would come on, 2 weeks ago i had the ECM programed had 21 updates almost doubled the gas mileage now I can punch it and it hauls $92.00 at the chevy dealer what a diffrence.
Now that is cool. I'll keep that in mind, as mine is an early, early, early 2006 model, and as far as I can remember it has never had any updates at all.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:14 PM

My promblem with CEL and T/C lights

My 2006 HHr has had this problem on and off for a while now. The codes it was pulling was for a misfire in the #1 cylinder, and the dealer said it needs a valve job to repair. We told them to go ahead as our independent mechanic could not figure out the issue. We also contacted Chevy Customer assistance at the same time to lodge a complaint and see if anything can be done, the car was well outside of the factory warranty but shouldnt have problems like this this soon, it is under 100,000 miles and has been maintained well.

When they pulled the motor apart they said the head was warped and that was the reason it was having all of the problems. Chevy customer assistance did step up and cover the parts, and we have to pay labor but I thought I would share my experience with this very frustrating issue.We are basically getting the whole top half of the motor replaced. Hopefully when we get it back everything will be well again. Its a great car when it's not having issues!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM

I was having the same TC hard shifting issues as well.
I didnt replace the intake and exhaust solenoids that some have been talking about.
Instead, I took it to the dealer, paid the $99 and re-flashed the computer.
On my way home I pushed it as hard as I could to get that error to flip on, but nothing happened.
FYI-
1. mine is a 2006 with JET MAF and an Airaid intake. No thrown codes with this flash.
2. The Tech left a document in the car stating that part of the flash consisted of adjustments to camshaft and VVT.

I will report in a month or so to verify, but Im confident that this solved the problem!!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by brazodoro
I was having the same TC hard shifting issues as well.
I didnt replace the intake and exhaust solenoids that some have been talking about.
Instead, I took it to the dealer, paid the $99 and re-flashed the computer.
On my way home I pushed it as hard as I could to get that error to flip on, but nothing happened.
FYI-
1. mine is a 2006 with JET MAF and an Airaid intake. No thrown codes with this flash.
2. The Tech left a document in the car stating that part of the flash consisted of adjustments to camshaft and VVT.

I will report in a month or so to verify, but Im confident that this solved the problem!!

Good stuff. Keep us posted on how it hangs together. Would be interesting to hear from ChevyMngr on what the changes in the reflash might entail.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 PM

Its been a while now and I have to say, the re-flash eliminated the problem.
Its been great.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by brazodoro
Its been a while now and I have to say, the re-flash eliminated the problem.
Its been great.
Good stuff man. Thanks for remembering the update - much appreciated. So we now have another solution that may be applicable to some of the problems.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Hard Shifting, Traction Control Light and P0010 P0011