Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 01:42 AM   #1

Member #: 9562
Check out my gallery 
Suspension Noise

My '08 SS has developed some suspension noises that are causing me concern:

1) The car has a serious front-end rattle that developed about 4 weeks after I took delivery of the car when new.
It started out as a rattle that sounded like a rubber ball rattling around inside a metal coffee can when going over uneven or broken pavement....most noticeable at low speeds. Lately it's gotten worse, and it's now noticeable even on relatively smooth surfaces. Any suspension movement now seems to cause it. So far the dealer claims not to hear it.

2) When the outside temp falls below 45 degrees, there is a noticeable squeak at both front corners, coinciding with any suspension travel. This happens when drivibng the car cold after leaving it outsiode overnight (if I had a garage, I'd be storing it there). The colder the weather, the worse the squeaks. They go away after a couple of minutes' driving as things start to warm up. Last winter I also started noticing this condition at both rear corners as well.....but not as bad as the problem up front.

Has anyone else also experienced these problems, or knows what causes them? Next time I go to my dealer for service, I'd like to be armed with as much info as possible about these problems.
fanbelt.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
Welcome and Greetings! Here is a link on the infamous HHR front end clunk/rattle and the most common cures.

http://chevyhhr.net/forums/showthrea...ght=sway+links

And here's a thread on suspension squeaks in cold weather, hope they help answer some of your questions.

http://chevyhhr.net/forums/showthrea...pension+noises

I had a mechanoid friend once who suffered from the same affliction. His name was Gilbert, but he preferred it if people called him "Rameses Niblick the Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble?". A sad case. - Kryten the Mechanoid(Red Dwarf)
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Premium Member

Member #: 18078
Check out my gallery 
Mike. Did you notice that fanbelt has been a member here since 2008? Silent for 3 years then.........

2010 HHR SS, 5spd, LSD, Brembos
TTR rear sway bar
TTR front mount
GM Turbo Upgrade
Forge Motorsports BPV
Pedders Sportsryder springs
Flowmaster HP2 Shorty
firemangeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Premium Member

Member #: 23683
Check out my gallery 
It just takes a while for some folks to warm up
SS fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #5

Member #: 41642
Check out my gallery 
I have the same issue on my 08 LT

I was told the bushings in my struts are worn out and need replaced. not a big issue if you are on smooth road, usually what a dealer will test on, but as soon as the road is bumpy or uneven you will tell.
lainix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

Member #: 39740
Check out my gallery 
My noisy suspension problem was a motor mount according to the dealer.
It was replaced under the warranty, but I notice that I'm getting the noise
again and the warranty is gone.
flmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

Member #: 24127
Check out my gallery 
flmj, when did you have the mounts replaced? There should have been a parts and labor warrant which would have been for 12 months or 12,000 miles whichever happened first if they used genuine GM parts.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
ChevroletCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #8

Member #: 69949
Check out my gallery 
Try this first

I have an 09 LT.Have had a noise up front for a year now,Its a certified car so my dealer changed everything -struts -sway bar links -steering column.Still have noise.So last week I replaced sway bar bushings myself.Using G.M. parts I bought from E-bay for about $13 bucks.I greased the new bushings before installing them.The old bushings showed no signs of wear at all.The noise is completely gone and I haven't been able to duplicate it again.So give it a try.
CHEVYMAN 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #9

Member #: 58904
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbelt.1 View Post
My '08 SS has developed some suspension noises that are causing me concern:

1) The car has a serious front-end rattle that developed about 4 weeks after I took delivery of the car when new.
It started out as a rattle that sounded like a rubber ball rattling around inside a metal coffee can when going over uneven or broken pavement....most noticeable at low speeds. Lately it's gotten worse, and it's now noticeable even on relatively smooth surfaces. Any suspension movement now seems to cause it. So far the dealer claims not to hear it.

2) When the outside temp falls below 45 degrees, there is a noticeable squeak at both front corners, coinciding with any suspension travel. This happens when drivibng the car cold after leaving it outsiode overnight (if I had a garage, I'd be storing it there). The colder the weather, the worse the squeaks. They go away after a couple of minutes' driving as things start to warm up. Last winter I also started noticing this condition at both rear corners as well.....but not as bad as the problem up front.

Has anyone else also experienced these problems, or knows what causes them? Next time I go to my dealer for service, I'd like to be armed with as much info as possible about these problems.
Hello fellow local NJ HHR owner.I get that squeak when it is cold outside also.It happens when I go over "dips" in the road but does not happen over bumps.Can't tell if it is from the front or rear.As you the colder it gets the more noticeable the sound is.Goes away when driven a little bit and never happens when it is warm outside.I just ignore it for the most part.Car drives fine.
hozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Premium Member

Member #: 18078
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hozer View Post
Hello fellow local NJ HHR owner.I get that squeak when it is cold outside also.It happens when I go over "dips" in the road but does not happen over bumps.Can't tell if it is from the front or rear.As you the colder it gets the more noticeable the sound is.Goes away when driven a little bit and never happens when it is warm outside.I just ignore it for the most part.Car drives fine.
Hozer. Fwiw. You're answering a 3 year old post and fanbelt.1 hasn't been on this site in over 1 year.

2010 HHR SS, 5spd, LSD, Brembos
TTR rear sway bar
TTR front mount
GM Turbo Upgrade
Forge Motorsports BPV
Pedders Sportsryder springs
Flowmaster HP2 Shorty
firemangeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 AM

submit to reddit