Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Tire pressure not reading on rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:12 AM

Tire pressure not reading on rear tires

On my 2008 HHR I am not getting a reading for the rear tires, no reading !

I switched the tires from the front to the rear. There is still no reading for the rear. I tried programing with the remote but nothing worked.

Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Technical Moderator

Is this new behavior? Do all 4 wheels have monitors installed?.

Were you able to perform the TPMS position relearn from the Owner Manual? Was the car a fleet vehicle? Has the car sat on a lot for weeks/months waiting for a new owner?

There are good reasons I ask.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:15 AM

I'm having the same thing just about but with only one not reading. Had new rims put on and three will read and the left rear will not at times. one minute it will read and next it wont. did not get key fob from or owner manual from place i bought it. its a 2010, LT w/ 2.2L. tire place said once i get key fob, bring it back and they will reprogram it. have other issues with car to fix before it get to this problem.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:48 AM
Technical Moderator

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...s-manual-3074/

fobs with programming module can be had on eBay,Amazon, most parts stores for around &65.

2010 will NOT reset by letting air out, but you do need the fob.
All of this info is readily availble from the search tool. That link for an Owner Manual is in my sig, you could just click it there.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

donbrew. Gotta refresh your memory again.
SOME 2010's will reset by the letting the air out method (my 2010 does )
Apparently there was a change to the TPMS sometime during the production year. Later in the year built 2010's needed the reset tool.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:47 PM
Technical Moderator

Forgot about the mid year thing. Something like May-June rings a bell.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:56 AM
Deceased

If memory is serving me right, 2010 models with build dates after 5/1/2010 require a Reset Tool.

I have vague memories of a TSB on it, but I'm not sure if I saw it here or while cruising another Sister Forum for the Delta Platform family.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by BDR1973
I'm having the same thing just about but with only one not reading. Had new rims put on and three will read and the left rear will not at times. one minute it will read and next it wont. did not get key fob from or owner manual from place i bought it. its a 2010, LT w/ 2.2L. tire place said once i get key fob, bring it back and they will reprogram it. have other issues with car to fix before it get to this problem.
I've run into same thing. Just started 3 weeks ago when I was driving home in the rain, about 1/4 mile from home "Service TPMS" came up on DIC, RR tire showed -- instead of PSI. Next morning it was working again. It's gone out & started working again about a dozen times since then. Sometimes it will go out & start working during the same drive, sometimes it will go out for more than a day.

My car still has original wheels & I'm guessing second set of tires. I'm also guessing in my case it's just a faulty TPMS since it's always the RR sensor. I'm planning on buying new tires & wheels before end of year anyway, so I'll just live with it for now.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Technical Moderator

You do understand that batteries do eventually run down? Unfortunately the design of the TPMS is such that the battery cannot be replaced. Also, cell phones and any other radio transmitting equipment can interfere with the signal. I don't feel like quoting the FCC rule that comes with every radio frequency device.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You do understand that batteries do eventually run down? Unfortunately the design of the TPMS is such that the battery cannot be replaced. Also, cell phones and any other radio transmitting equipment can interfere with the signal.
Nothing different happening radio transmission wise unless we're being hit with solar flares, but that should affect more than 1 TPMS if they're strong enough to affect a TPMS signal at all.

Battery was my guess & I already know it cannot be changed, which is why I'm not going to bother with it until I get new tires & wheels (& TPMS units) in a few months.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure not reading on rear tires