Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Burning oil, engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:55 PM

Burning oil, engine noise

Hello All

Ok so this is my first post. I have a 2008 HHR LS. Other than brakes and tires I have had good luck with my car. I finally put slotted rotors on since I was tired of getting rotors turned every couple months.

So my problem is that I noticed in the last several months my engine was getting louder, clanking noise. I checked the oil and near empty. Put oil in no more noise. Got an oil change and about 45 days later car started making noise again. Getting louder and then oil light came on. no oil. Put more in and this time accompanied by Lucas oil additive. Got a good couple weeks out of that but now noise again. I don't see any signs of leaking. I have 145,000 miles, is the car just done? Help...
Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 PM

that's a lot of oil loss. would think you would see dripping on the ground, or smoke from the exhaust.

regardless, seems you should be monitoring the oil more closely than waiting for it to go 'empty' with engine noise.

you are lucky the engine 'noise' goes away by adding oil.

oil loss causes noise

find reason for oil loss.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Loss of oil can only go in or out.......out the tail pipe or a leak from the pan or engine, which SHOULD be noticeable on the ground....or into the coolant.

But that is a lot of oil to lose. It should be noticeable !!!

Check, by chance, the coolant and see if it has an oily film in it.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 PM

one possible explanation could be a leak from a high pressure point, maybe like an oil sender (if there is one?) and leaking while driving-moving. could be blowing back (like a spray) all UNDER the car and drying up in road dirt on the underside, providing very little if any DRIP at all.

easy to check. Get on your BACK, and look UNDER the car ON the underbody itself.
or
put on a lift.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by hhr06NJ
that's a lot of oil loss. would think you would see dripping on the ground, or smoke from the exhaust.

regardless, seems you should be monitoring the oil more closely than waiting for it to go 'empty' with engine noise.

you are lucky the engine 'noise' goes away by adding oil.

oil loss causes noise

find reason for oil loss.
tonight I checked the tailpipe and I see nothing coming out. No smoke. When I take oil cap off there is decent smoke coming out of that. Not sure if that is normal or not.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Loss of oil can only go in or out.......out the tail pipe or a leak from the pan or engine, which SHOULD be noticeable on the ground....or into the coolant.

But that is a lot of oil to lose. It should be noticeable !!!

Check, by chance, the coolant and see if it has an oily film in it.
I dont have a drop of oil at home or work. Driving me nuts. I will check the coolant. Thank You
Old 09-30-2014, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by hhr06NJ
one possible explanation could be a leak from a high pressure point, maybe like an oil sender (if there is one?) and leaking while driving-moving. could be blowing back (like a spray) all UNDER the car and drying up in road dirt on the underside, providing very little if any DRIP at all.

easy to check. Get on your BACK, and look UNDER the car ON the underbody itself.
or
put on a lift.

Thank You. I'll jack it up and see if I cant find some signs of leakage