2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Coilover question verus struts

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Omnigear
yyz spring with koni yellow with the prs xxx bar.
Watch out......some may not like you mentioning that.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:59 AM

Omnigear: already running that [noname] bar. Have been for some time. I will be running Pedders XA coilovers. Koni makes less than stellar suspension parts. Not sure what you meant by a YYZ spring. We're taking coilovers, not springs. "Moon"
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 AM

I will measure my pansy 235's distance between strut body of my xa's soon.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:55 PM

Joe: Need a tire width, that your running, in inches. tks "Moon"
Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Father Azmodius
Watch out......some may not like you mentioning that.
i know right

Originally Posted by moonsign
Omnigear: already running that [noname] bar. Have been for some time. I will be running Pedders XA coilovers. Koni makes less than stellar suspension parts. Not sure what you meant by a YYZ spring. We're taking coilovers, not springs. "Moon"
yyz spring is by the makers of the time attack cobalt.
the koni's have been used by the cobalt racing team when they where running them. only coils that is worth it is ohlins or the other 3k+ coils. well unless you just wanna go low.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Pedders xa coilovers

Hi Moon,
I met you at the Sacramento Autorama last year. I have a red 2009 SS Panel with Brembo Brakes. I am very interested in seeing how the Pedders XA coilovers work on your SS HHR. I want to go to a 20 X 8.0 or 8.5" wheel with 245/30/20 BFG g-Force KDW 2 tires wich are more than 3/4 " wider than my stock 225/45/18s.(But are almost the same diameter). I was told that was about the max width I could go. I am interested in seeing the maximum width of tire and wheel you will be able to fit as well.

Hi Joe,
How do you like like the XA coilovers on your SS? Did the XA's give you much room for adjustment to lower your car? It is an expensive way to go but I like the idea that I would be able to set the exact ride height of the car as opposed to the one ride height you get with just lowering springs. I like the adjustable dampening aspect as well. Do you get much of a dampening adjustment? How does your car ride with them?

Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 AM

Thumbs up Build Your Own Coil Overs!

I have a 2009 HHR SS automatic AA5 option moderately modified. I also have a 1987 Fiero that is my pet project for the last 10yrs. I've built two sets of coil over struts for the rear of my Fiero. The first using Sensa Tracs, and the current using Koni red adjustable struts. I'm sometimes amazed at the lack of innovation on this forum compared to the Fiero forum that I frequent.(fiero.nl). Everybody here just wants to bolt stuff on and go. To build the coil over strut you trim/cut the spring perch from the body of the strut. Then grind the remnant of the perch flush with the strut body. Buy some appropriate length threaded sleeves (I used 8"lg.) of the correct ID to fit snug on the strut body, thread the adjustment collars onto the sleeves, slip the coil spring (300lbs./in. on my current Konis) over the threaded sleeve and seat it on the collar. Set the desired height and mount to car. (I know there is more to the assembly than this, but I'm trying to be brief). I bought the threaded sleeves and adjusting collars online @ Coleman Racing(circle track suppliers). I bought the QA1 springs from Summit Racing. Go to "fiero.nl" and search for coil overs. There are lots of threads discussing this subject with plenty of images of other owners builds.
Thanks, Ray in TX.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 AM

Here's a link to get you started!
Thanks, Ray in TX.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 AM

OOps!!!! (red face) Here's the link.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121690.html

Thanks, Ray in TX.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 AM

racer ray: how do you know you have the right spring rate for your modded coilovers?
Also, while we're at it. Hang around and pay attention, and you'll see some inovation, from time to time. Don't be knocking the SS guys. "Moon"

Quick Reply: Coilover question verus struts