2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

cool air in-Hot air out

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:45 PM

If you want to cool a tad more, put an electric fan in front of the radiator as well.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:02 PM

My whole point was to get a little more outside air into a already hot engine compartment, that would in turn, force some of that hot air out, nothing more.
I did'nt expect it to do anything as far as performance, only saw a way to get a little more air into engine compartment.
After studying the air flow in and around the front end of the car, I can see where GM added panels to keep debris and water away from certain places.
Some of the panels don't pertain to the climate that this car will be running in, so they get modded. All car makers try to make cars that will hold up to the dumbest idot that will buy one. Some people can break a bowling ball with toothpick.
I may not be the smartest bear in the woods, but I have way over forty years, working on, desiging stuff, ect. on many race cars, and have a fair idea how lots of stuff works and why on most cars. What I did on the rad panel, was no biggie, and would'nt hurt anything[unless you did drive through a cloud burst-which I have no intention of doing].
The mod was free, and if someone could use it ,fine. I did'nt intent to start a pissing up the rope contest, to see who was the smartest guy on here.
I constatly think out of the box on a lot of things, and most times do my homework, so I'm always trying new things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. If they don't work, I fix them back to orignal. So far the little panel mod seems not to be hurting anything[just as I figured].
P.S. In case you have'nt noticed, GM designers are'nt the smartest people in the world. Take a look at what you're driving, then tell me it's all that cherry.
I'll now get off my soap box, and go watch the Nascar race, and defer to anyone else that wants to chime in. "Moon"
Old 08-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote :
I constatly think out of the box on a lot of things, and most times do my homework, so I'm always trying new things. Sometimes they work,
sometimes they don't. If they don't work, I fix them back to orignal.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by moonsign
My whole point was to get a little more outside air into a already hot engine compartment, that would in turn, force some of that hot air out, nothing more.
I did'nt expect it to do anything as far as performance, only saw a way to get a little more air into engine compartment.
After studying the air flow in and around the front end of the car, I can see where GM added panels to keep debris and water away from certain places.
Some of the panels don't pertain to the climate that this car will be running in, so they get modded. All car makers try to make cars that will hold up to the dumbest idot that will buy one. Some people can break a bowling ball with toothpick.
I may not be the smartest bear in the woods, but I have way over forty years, working on, desiging stuff, ect. on many race cars, and have a fair idea how lots of stuff works and why on most cars. What I did on the rad panel, was no biggie, and would'nt hurt anything[unless you did drive through a cloud burst-which I have no intention of doing].
The mod was free, and if someone could use it ,fine. I did'nt intent to start a pissing up the rope contest, to see who was the smartest guy on here.
I constatly think out of the box on a lot of things, and most times do my homework, so I'm always trying new things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. If they don't work, I fix them back to orignal. So far the little panel mod seems not to be hurting anything[just as I figured].
P.S. In case you have'nt noticed, GM designers are'nt the smartest people in the world. Take a look at what you're driving, then tell me it's all that cherry.
I'll now get off my soap box, and go watch the Nascar race, and defer to anyone else that wants to chime in. "Moon"
The Engineers at GM have done so much for so long with so little we are lucky we have what we have. Nuff said.

I work in the performance idustry and deal with a out of box thinkers all the time. Some are lucky, some are Good and some need to put the Tools Down. I will not pass judgment here since I do not know you.

But in the long term I see more people screw things up because they think they know better than the MFG of parts or cars. I have seen how GM and most other companies try to idiot proof their cars. Air managment and engine protection are prime things they deal with due to the fact it effects emissions, drivability and warranties.

Sorry I guess I am just puzzeled with the need to lower the under temps for really no real gains in performance, reliability or any other know benefit.

If you want to do this fine but just don't get upset if we don't always understand.

The many problems I see daily just give me cause to caution people. I just have seen some woppers in my time and hate to see someone get into a fix.

Of course it is always someone elses fault too on the problems I see never the guy who did the work.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:12 PM

If it wasn't for the people who operate outside the box, the little changes that amount to small benefits would never happen......somebody has to take the first step right or wrong. And as far as GM always getting it right...tell that to the aftermarket....GM is FULL of compromises or otherwiswe we'd have 12 second cars that get 35 MPG on cheap gas..who'd a thought a turtle back could make such a big difference unless somebody tried it?( Its a piece of metal that sits in the plenum of the intake to redirects air flow..looke like a turtle...V8 stuff). So the if it aint broke theory only works for those that feel its ok, its good enuf, its factory.I have to agree with moon on this one..for a street car any underhood heat dissapation is a good thing, especially now since the temps have been hovering in the 90's anymore, and I'd bet this is going to become the norm not the exception.Fact......electrionics do NOT like heat.....
Old 08-30-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The Engineers at GM have done so much for so long with so little we are lucky we have what we have. Nuff said.

:
There is a long history of Americans roddin' and moddin' their cars, which is now mostly moved over to the kids working on Hondas, Evos and Sti's.

There is no coincidence that the reason the imports has more mod appeal is that is a larger aftermarket of parts and accessories to go to and the fact that the manufactuers' support it. When was the last time you saw a Chevy commercial like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sdcNVCrYro

Have you ever looked at a Mopar catalog for the Neon. God they offered everything.

At least Chrysler finally gets it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezk0e1VL80o

Chevy on the other hand put a learn down feature in the HHR that controlled whatever you did to the car and dumbed it down to stock levels. Finally the "lnf upgrade" changed some of that but not without it's share of problems because gm did it half assed. Hell they couldn't even print the instructions correctly.

I love what Moon and the others have done to their cars because they went the extra mile to make them their own. GM should show their rides in their ad's instead of a CG version of the Cruize or Regal aimed at the masses.

I just bought the last two real 4 seater performance cars chevy sold, an HHR SS and a Trailblazer SS and I though there are rumors that GM is going to make some more performance cars, walk into a dealer today and all they can offer you is a Camaro or a vette. Nothing wrong with that, except the modern hot rodders of today usually pass those by for the imports.

I personally love merican' cars, but believe the U.S. car industry has it's head stuck in the sand, (or even darker places).

For some reason they can't look out their own corporate window at the woodward dream cruise and see that thousands of die hards, of all ages, are still taking novas, plymouths, pontiacs and mercuries and making them their own. Do you really think in 15 years someone is gong to cruise down Woodward Ave in a Daewoo?

But, I'll bet you'll some modded out HHR or a trailblazer with a blower sticking out of the hood.

So hail the rodder man, even if it doesn't work as planned. God love em' for for sticking their finger up in the air to the government run cost accountants that want us all to ride bicycles and drive the same responsible car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RyPamyWotM

J.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by russruth
There is a long history of Americans roddin' and moddin' their cars, which is now mostly moved over to the kids working on Hondas, Evos and Sti's.

There is no coincidence that the reason the imports has more mod appeal is that is a larger aftermarket of parts and accessories to go to and the fact that the manufactuers' support it. When was the last time you saw a Chevy commercial like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sdcNVCrYro

Have you ever looked at a Mopar catalog for the Neon. God they offered everything.

At least Chrysler finally gets it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezk0e1VL80o

Chevy on the other hand put a learn down feature in the HHR that controlled whatever you did to the car and dumbed it down to stock levels. Finally the "lnf upgrade" changed some of that but not without it's share of problems because gm did it half assed. Hell they couldn't even print the instructions correctly.

I love what Moon and the others have done to their cars because they went the extra mile to make them their own. GM should show their rides in their ad's instead of a CG version of the Cruize or Regal aimed at the masses.

I just bought the last two real 4 seater performance cars chevy sold, an HHR SS and a Trailblazer SS and I though there are rumors that GM is going to make some more performance cars, walk into a dealer today and all they can offer you is a Camaro or a vette. Nothing wrong with that, except the modern hot rodders of today usually pass those by for the imports.

I personally love merican' cars, but believe the U.S. car industry has it's head stuck in the sand, (or even darker places).

For some reason they can't look out their own corporate window at the woodward dream cruise and see that thousands of die hards, of all ages, are still taking novas, plymouths, pontiacs and mercuries and making them their own. Do you really think in 15 years someone is gong to cruise down Woodward Ave in a Daewoo?

But, I'll bet you'll some modded out HHR or a trailblazer with a blower sticking out of the hood.

So hail the rodder man, even if it doesn't work as planned. God love em' for for sticking their finger up in the air to the government run cost accountants that want us all to ride bicycles and drive the same responsible car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RyPamyWotM

J.
The truth is the reason the imports have been popular is they often are cheap to buy. Also most of them are not so modified as you think. Many just have wheels, a fart can exhaust and stereo as few kids today can afford the engine parts they need and know too little to know what to do with them. They would rather have a PS3 and screens in the back seat.

The fact is the days of the Cheap Nova or Chevelle are gone and most of the real hot rodding are done by guys 35 years and older.

As for Omni part from Direct Connection. We are the largest distributor of Direct Connection parts in the world at work. We sell very few of these kits. They may be there but few buy.

Most kids today have never has an American car in the family. They also for the most today could care less about fixing a car up. Computer, electronics and other things are much more of an interest anymore. Hot Rodding is more for the old and the more wealthy.

Also today most people want bolt on performance as they have no clue of what they are doing. If you can't just plug it in and bolt it on they do not want it or the responsibility to make it work. In years past it was up to the owner to weld his own headers or make his own intake. In fact many of the cam companies came from guys that had to make their own cams for their flat heads in the 40's.

How many people today do you think could make their own cam or weld their own headers.

Todays engines are built to meet the demands of long warranties and emissions enforced by CARB and the EPA.

The sad fact is today most popular cars are applicances like it or not. America's love affair of the car is slowly dying and that is just the way it is.

There may not be any Dewoos out on Woodward as 50 years from now they may not be able to get enough people to show up.

The fact is GM needs to make a profit. Fact 2 is large profits are not made on limited volume performance cars as much as the basic plain old sedan.

GM right now is working to make sure cars like the Cruze and Aveo will pay the bills and make money so they can later play and make some fun cars for us.

THe reality is most people want to run Detroit with their heart and not their head. Get the companies strong and make the better at making a profit with the high volume cars and they can take the risk and make these other cars you and I want.

It is like making the House payment is more important than making the Vette payment.

Trust me I work with most of the large MFG of perfromance parts in the world and work with some of the biggest race and custome shops in the world. I know what is going on as much or more than most when it comes to this. My job counts on this market. It is evolving and not in the way many of us want it too. But we need to learn to adapt and do what we can.

Trust me there are plenty of hot rodders at GM and we sell a lot of parts to them. They have not abandoned the fun cars but they have put the focus on the cars that will keep GM alive.

Between the economy, the goverment regs and the lack of you people in love with performance cars the future will need some adjustments to keep this real performance alive.

The take a kid to a car show stickers and marketing campain are not just for fun it is to try to get you kids interested in cars again.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 PM

Man I do love those Dodge commercials. They are simply great!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gas Man
Man I do love those Dodge commercials. They are simply great!
Oh it is an invisable Monkey.

The whole deal with PETA makes that ad even more funny.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Oh it is an invisable Monkey.

The whole deal with PETA makes that ad even more funny.
Oh that may be better... IDK the mannly ones are funny.

Quick Reply: cool air in-Hot air out