2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

cool air in-Hot air out

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by moonsign
You guys crack me up. I was'nt trying to improve performance, only playing around, and found a way to get more air into the engine compartment.
You guys always try to science things to death. I go by the KISS principal...Keep It Simple Stupid.
It probably does'nt serve any purpose, but sure does'nt hurt anything either.
Someone with a CAI under the hood, just might see a benefit, maybe not.
I did mine just for grins[because I could].
Disclaimer: Mods are like condoms....use at you own risk. "Moon"
Those of us who have been building, modifying, and racing cars for years generally prefer doing things that have been demonstrated to:

A. Have a reason to be done that makes sense from a technical perspective
B. Be effective, and accomplish what they set out to do.
C. Not introduce any additional problems

as opposed to "playing around."

Your dismissal of "science things to death" certainly makes a strong case for just doing things at random.

Your assurance that it "doesn't hurt anything" is difficult to swallow, based on your own assertion that any "scientific" justifications for things being the way they were designed to be should be dismissed out of hand. One thing GM bean counters never do is pay for a part that doesn't do anything.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 PM

Scince I started this thread, and gotten all kinds of comments and opinions, I'll have one final say of this subject, then let it lay.
Seems some of my comments to the little radiator mod, were taken out context, and looks like some took it a little personal.
I joke around a lot, but I don't just do things to "play around" or at random.
The comment was meant to be taken lightly.
Since we're starting to get big on history, and backyard racing knowledge, here are a few well known facts from this end. In my sixty eight[now almost nine] years, I myself have built, modified, and raced a lot of different types of cars, and are still involved in some. I have been involved in street cars, roundy round cars, two Top Fuel dragsters, a Fuel funny car, two drag boats, two jet cars, and a rocket car. Over the years I have designed up stuff, that at the time were considered 'pretty far out', but some of the stuff is being used today. I study things and try to improve on them, and make them work better, and not just to be shooting in the dark.
My little radiator panel mod, was a way to get a little more cool air into the engine compartment, which helps a little, and thats not debatable. If someone wanted to use the idea, fine use it, if not, then thats their choice.
My comment about "sciencing things to death" was aimed at guys that make a simple problem into a long drawn out affair. Nothing more.
As I stated earlier, "I may not be the smartest bear in the woods" but I am real serious about my stuff, and try to improve it. I have been around the block a few times, even tho at times I don't act like it.
This thread has gotten quite long and drawn out, and I have heard all the comments and opinions, so I'm going to just let it lay. I sure did'nt mean to start a contest to see how high someone could piss up the wall.
Just remember, I do have a big stream, and I can get pretty high.
"Moon"
Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 PM

Remember he who pisses highest gets wet face. LOL!

Hey Just keep in mind the end I see. If I had a dollar for every guy with a set of Craftmans sockets that proclaimed he was a racer I would be 20 years retired by now.

No passing judgment on you but if I can stop someone from creating a possible problem I try to prevent it. THis also applies to things that really will not give much gain too.

I have seen many ASE mechanic screw up too in doing custom builds because the test never cover some of the things they are doing performance wise.

I have made my mistakes too and wish some had cautioned me in the past.

My points were only to help not hurt.

FYI I do like the wheels!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:11 PM

"I have seen many ASE mechanic" that couldn't drive my '75 Dodge Tradesman van......
Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
"I have seen many ASE mechanic" that couldn't drive my '75 Dodge Tradesman van......
I ran a stop sign once to keep one running to get it back to work with carb issues. The cop who pulled me over let me go because he understood.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:00 PM

These guys couldn't even get it into the shop...... " ....."scuse me, Sir, could you drive your truck into the shop...." It was the Three on the Tree.... they couldn't find reverse.

To make matters worse, I had to re-do most of their work while wearing a back brace, could hardly walk at the time...... "certified"
Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM

68 And rockin a modified SS . I freakin love it MOON.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
These guys couldn't even get it into the shop...... " ....."scuse me, Sir, could you drive your truck into the shop...." It was the Three on the Tree.... they couldn't find reverse.

To make matters worse, I had to re-do most of their work while wearing a back brace, could hardly walk at the time...... "certified"
I have to park in the loop (chicago) alot, Some times i have to let them park it. When i get out of the SS, I mention to the valet that it has a scioptic transmission , and that it's a spangle shifter pattern. I wait to see the look on there face , and say , You've driven one of these right ? It's always a no,

Why don't you just park it in front, so we don't have to move it.

Oh , OK thanks bud. It's hard to do with a strait face but has worked, 9 out of 10 times.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM

Holy Batcrap...I've got to try that one. Thanks Batman I can use this. "Moon'
Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 PM

My pleasure brother.

Tell them you've got a meeting, With some industry people, There might be some peeps comin down to take pictures of it. It's a proto type, That there considering it for a Production race car. He'll probally let you park it and call his own friends to come and take pics. Ya gotta have phuuunnn MOON .