2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Dealer saying no warranty on Stage 1 if....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM

So you are saying that they would actually make a note on the vehicle record that your warranty is voided because you bought the part from another GM dealer?
I would calmly explain to the service manager that there is no reason to do that and certainly is not the best way to take care of a customer wanting to pay good money in their service department. If he really wants bad feedback to GM customer relations over a simple cash grab on parts, then you may have to take that step.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 PM

I bought my kit online and Balise Chevrolet in Springfield, Ma did the install, no problems afterwards
Old 02-10-2010, 06:04 PM

If the parts, no matter where they were purchased, and installed my a certified GM tech[I use that term loosely], it should be covered under warranty, per GM. After all it is a GM part, installed by a GM mech.
I ran into the dealers around here, wanting to stick it to me on labor, to install the stage 1 kit. Soooooo... I just went with the Trifecia tune, and I'm sure glad I did. I can turn the tune off and on at will, and believe me it's every bit as strong, if not stronger than a stage 1[and I've ridden in a stage 1].
Find a dealer that won't rape you, and if they do, contact a GM rep. "Moon"
Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Ok, I found a dealer who will do it and has done a bunch already. They're matching the gm direct price of 450 so it will be 600 even installed. Here's the kicker though. They are trying to tell me now that since it is "parts", you are not covered by the 5/100. You get the straight 12 month/12000 miles and that's it. I can't really argue with the service mgr on this at the moment because I don't know the first thing about warranty work. I will tell you that I've talked to 7 dealerships now and every one of them said you can order the parts and install them yourself and kiss any warranty goodbye. The dealer most likely to do my install went as far as to say if GM determined damage was caused by your self install to other areas of the turbo etc, that won't be covered either. I can't change a headlight bulb so that threat means less than nothing to me.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Wow...that would be like Pioneer saying they can't warrenty a stereo because it was bought at Walmart....
Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by chevyman1976
They are trying to tell me now that since it is "parts", you are not covered by the 5/100. You get the straight 12 month/12000 miles and that's it.
They are full of it. Tell them to read this:

#09-06-93-005: Information on Accessory Power Upgrade Kit or Performance Parts LNF Turbo Upgrade Kit - (Nov 24, 2009)

Subject: Information on Accessory Power Upgrade Kit or Performance Parts LNF Turbo Upgrade Kit

Models: 2008-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS

2007-2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP

2007-2009 Saturn SKY Red Line

All Equipped with Engine RPO LNF
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Accessory Power Upgrade Kit or Performance Parts LNF Turbo Upgrade Kit (P/N 19212670) has been designed and validated by GM Engineers to retain the warranty for the specified vehicle on which it is installed. It does not void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

If the Accessory Power Upgrade Kit or Performance Parts LNF Turbo Upgrade Kit is sold and permanently installed by a GM Dealer or a GM-approved Accessory Distributor/Installer (ADI) prior to delivery of the vehicle, it will be covered under the applicable portion (Bumper-to-Bumper, Powertrain, etc.) of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. In the event this accessory is installed after vehicle delivery, or it is replaced under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, it will be covered, parts and labor, for the balance of the applicable portion of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, but in no event less than 12 months/12,000 miles.
If this accessory is installed by anyone other than a GM Dealer or a GM-approved ADI, it will be covered, parts only, for the balance of the applicable portion of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, but in no event less than 12 months/12,000 miles. Workmanship will not be covered.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 PM

They're full of ****.

I drove from Clinton, Mass down to Newburg, Ny to get mine done because the local dealers are all on crack.
They had done some before mine and had good recommendations from forum users.
No problem whatsoever.

Call GM and ask if dealer so and so and the others are right or if they're trying to make up policy against GM.
GM is who says yay or nay not some local schmuck.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 PM

Um, yeah. What he said
Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 PM

These are little rinky dink dealers to be honest but man.....they're being really confusing. I think this particular part is just throwing these guys for a loop. The dealer today at least knew what I was talking about. The others had no idea so they're just guessing I think.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
They are full of it. Tell them to read this:

#09-06-93-005: Information on Accessory Power Upgrade Kit or Performance Parts LNF Turbo Upgrade Kit - (Nov 24, 2009)

Subject: Information on Accessory Power Upgrade Kit or Performance Parts LNF Turbo Upgrade Kit

Models: 2008-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS

2007-2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP

2007-2009 Saturn SKY Red Line

All Equipped with Engine RPO LNF
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Accessory Power Upgrade Kit or Performance Parts LNF Turbo Upgrade Kit (P/N 19212670) has been designed and validated by GM Engineers to retain the warranty for the specified vehicle on which it is installed. It does not void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

If the Accessory Power Upgrade Kit or Performance Parts LNF Turbo Upgrade Kit is sold and permanently installed by a GM Dealer or a GM-approved Accessory Distributor/Installer (ADI) prior to delivery of the vehicle, it will be covered under the applicable portion (Bumper-to-Bumper, Powertrain, etc.) of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. In the event this accessory is installed after vehicle delivery, or it is replaced under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, it will be covered, parts and labor, for the balance of the applicable portion of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, but in no event less than 12 months/12,000 miles.
If this accessory is installed by anyone other than a GM Dealer or a GM-approved ADI, it will be covered, parts only, for the balance of the applicable portion of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, but in no event less than 12 months/12,000 miles. Workmanship will not be covered.
I agree but it sounds like it's not true from the postings here. Maybe someone wants to call GM and ask?

The way I read it, it says the parts in the upgrade fall into that warranty range but the rest of the engine is still 5/100k. But the wording also implies that if the mileage at install is under 5/100k the kit too will be covered, but if you are over that, it's only 12/12 for the kit (no extension on the engine obviously).

I think it's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that it can mean about 40 different things.

I do completely agree with the workmanship/installation coverage.

Quick Reply: Dealer saying no warranty on Stage 1 if....