2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

everything seems fine... but

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 PM

everything seems fine... but

just wondering... the boost gauge will show different numbers with different temps, barometric pressures and humidities right? or at least i think i have noticed...

i have the stage 1 kit

also my main concern is... SOMETIMES i notice at rolling speeds if i accelerate into pass gear the boost will jump up to 21 but then it fluctuates in the acceleration to 17ish then 21 then 17ish....

that is also OCCASIONAL.not day to day, not everytime i heavy accelerate either. does that have anything to do with weather. pressures, way the moon phase is? haha

let me know.. cuz the car seems great since the day i bought it just making sure its not a issue
Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by xonelife1983x
just wondering... the boost gauge will show different numbers with different temps, barometric pressures and humidities right? or at least i think i have noticed...

i have the stage 1 kit

also my main concern is... SOMETIMES i notice at rolling speeds if i accelerate into pass gear the boost will jump up to 21 but then it fluctuates in the acceleration to 17ish then 21 then 17ish....

that is also OCCASIONAL.not day to day, not everytime i heavy accelerate either. does that have anything to do with weather. pressures, way the moon phase is? haha

let me know.. cuz the car seems great since the day i bought it just making sure its not a issue

I have HPTuners and my boost levels jump around from time to time. I wouldn't get too stuck on staring at your boost gauge.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:26 AM

GM primarily uses spark advance and boost to manage torque so you will see the boost change depending on the demand. I don't get max boost unless I go to the floor and anything less gives me different boost levels depending on the driving conditions. Many things affect the boost levels so you can assume that you will always get the same amount at the same throttle position.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:29 PM

The computer managment on this vehicle is different than what most people expect from past turbo's. You need to toss out everything you know and learn this system.

The one constant with this system is there is no exact boost you will see in all conditions. The Computer will adapt to so many different things to improve drivability it can vary with temp, Alt, speed, load etc. This is part of the reason this is a very good turbo system. it make for a less peeky turbo and other less desireable issues turbo's of the past were famouse for.

I imagine many here have never driven some of the turbo's of the past. Most were crap. They would make power in most cases but it was a pain to drive. You either had too much when you did not want it or too little power then you needed it. Lag was a major issue and spool time was horrible.

Before the HHR SS the only Turbo's I had driven that were any good were Saab or Callaway Turbo Vettes.

The worst was a now rare after market kit that put a Big Garrett on a 400 CID 78 TA. It was a aftermarket kit that was a total mess. It ended up breaking the crank and it really did not work well at all. It was the worst lag of all time.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM

cool and thanx you for the responses ... like you said krh i dont really worry about the boost guage too much but i do glance over from time to time hahaha its close to my line of vision better to be more focused on my boost gauge then my cell phone :) hahaha

thanx for all the info guys.. i'll shut up with such rookie questions and enjoy my ride!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by xonelife1983x
cool and thanx you for the responses ... like you said krh i dont really worry about the boost guage too much but i do glance over from time to time hahaha its close to my line of vision better to be more focused on my boost gauge then my cell phone :) hahaha

thanx for all the info guys.. i'll shut up with such rookie questions and enjoy my ride!
There are times it may have been better that GM left off the Boost gauge. It seems to make most paranoid. Even me and I understand how it works.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 AM

I have the rpd and never really look at the boost screen. I usually have it on the mph screen and when I am in my own performance mode(lol) I sometimes switch to timing even though I've never seen it report knock even though it shows retard at the time in hp tuners. I know what timing I'm supposed to be at since I tune it, so I know when its pulling timing even though it doesn't show any knock retard.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:55 PM

Its kinda like having a tach on a daily driver thats only 140HP.. fun to look at but really serves no purpose....falls under the bells whistles and toys department.