2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Finally Fixed...with "some" conditions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 AM

Finally Fixed...with "some" conditions

Alot of you guys have been following my posts for months and months now (which I really apprecaite)...about how bad my HHR has been running with the dealer installed GMTU and Trifecta Tune. Well....I think I possibilly fixed it. Here is what I've done:

Installed brand new engine harness
Installed CED "plug & play" connectors
Installed ZZP Lower Charge Pipe (Does not fit automatics, had to hack the sh*t out of it to "kind of" fit)

Here is the thing. I reflashed it with the "stock" GMS1 Tune. The car runs really well. Hold boost great, doesn't surge like it used it...and hit's 24 lbs. no problem. (I might take it to the dealer so they can reflash it with the tech II as well)

Then I went ahead and reflashed it with the "Trifecta" tune....and all hell broke loose. It started to act just like it did. Surging really bad. Floored...it runs great...part throttle it surges. How can the Trifecta make it do that? Vince keeps sending me update after update...and it doesn't get rid of the surging at all. He modified the "torque tables" for me yesterday...and it ended up making the car throw a P0700 code...which is transmission related. The car wouldn't shift out of "I" BUT there were not surging issues at all. I had to let the car sit over night with the battery unhooked in order for it to clear the code completely and for it to shift "normal" again

Do you guys think I should just ditch Trifecta and go with another tune?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:56 AM

I guess you'll have to decide how much patience you have for Vince to get it worked out. It would seem like there is something peculiar to your car that is causing issues with the Trifecta tune, if I had to guess. I've heard more good than bad about Trifecta on this forum. I elected to go with HPTuners. It allows me to do the tuning myself. But I could still purchase tunes in HPTuners format if I wanted to. I don't think you went the wrong way with Trifecta. I think you are just having bad luck with a good tuner.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Glad to hear the wiring harness was a success. I know you've tried a bunch of parts that didn't seem to help the original problem. The harness seems to be the answer.( How did the harness install go? Pretty much like I said? And did you take a few "time outs" to make it easier?)
As far as the tune: If it runs good with just the GMTU, then runs like crap when you put in the Trifecta,well that kind of answers the question. I won't suggest which way to go with this,but it seems obvious that the Trifecta is the source of your problem.
Also,I'm not seeing why you want to reflash the GMTU again. If you reinstalled it back in,why do it a second time?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:30 PM

The install really wasn't that bad. Took me about 6 hours...and I had to dissassemble alot of parts...but it made it a TON easier.

The reason I would like to have GM tune reinstalled with a tech II is because right now...the "base" file is still trifecta...it's not a "true" GM file. So...regardless...Trifecta is still there...but it's not a "custom" tune file. Atleast...thats what I was told. If I go with maybe HP or something...I would like to start fresh....with the original GM file....and go from there.

I told Vince that I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk...but when he went in and "modified" the torque tables....he did something to upset the transmission..and for it to throw the P0700 code and for it not to shift...and this is what he just email me:

"I will do my best not to sound like a jerk, also - I’m telling you it was a coincidence and/or unrelated. Look, I’m not some guy sitting in a closet that’s tuned 2 of these. Last time I checked we’d done almost 3000 of them in 8 countries. But if you want to suggest I don’t know what I’m doing, you can feel free to do that and you should take your business elsewhere"
Old 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM

Go hptuners never look back.lol
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM

Come up to ZZP for a day, have them assess that lower CP and ensure it is good and HPtune it.

Welcome to borrow my couch if need be. Just an option!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 PM

Come up to ZZP for a day, have them assess that lower CP and ensure it is good and HPtune it.

Welcome to borrow my couch if need be. Just an option!
I might just have to do that Joe!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Serious offer for sure.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 AM

You are not alone Kiss. I have an 08 auto and have had the same problem with inconsistant boost during moderate acceleration with the trifecta tune. I replaced intercooler piping, boost spring, and clamps thinking I had a leak somewhere and had retuned several times. I am beginning to think that it may be a throttle sensitivity problem. Under moderate acceleration there are slight variations in throttle pressure. The slightest reduction in pressure can cause the boost to drop if the sensitivity is set too high. I am wondering if this is higher on the trifecta tune than the gm kit. I had the superchips tune and never had an issue. Next time you drive pay close attention how you are applying throttle. This could explain why Vince is not seeing any problems on his side.

08 black auto: Trifecta tuned, GS intercooler pipe, Kn intake, Dejon spring, PLX gauge with boost module, zzp catted dp, 245/40/18 Nitto neogens

Last edited by Timb727; 03-23-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

I put the yellow spring in the forge, it makes stg1 work perfect, but still hesitates a little with Trifecta turned on. So I ordered the spring set with 2 more stiffer springs. I'll let you know if the next one stops the hesitation with Trifecta on. It got a lot better hopefully a little stronger spring will do the trick. But mine is a, 09 and Vince could turn off the differential protection, that helped a lot also.

Quick Reply: Finally Fixed...with "some" conditions